The British Invasion...OR...zoney, ali rose and sula and the Elbow/Doves adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sula!!! I only just now was able to read this- what a fabulous story!! I just imagine 20 years ago being at the Paradise in Boston and meeting U2 like that- b/c there are people who did!! What a fun expereince!! My friend is letting me borrow the cd next week so I'll let you know what I think. :D

Oh Sula! I just read their tour dates- they are coming TOMORROW to Boston!!

how fast can you be here ;)

Last edited:
I met Guy Garvey tonight! :) I love him! :heart: I'll post the story tomorrow when I'm awake. It's not nearly exciting as Sula, Zonelistener, and Ali Rose's story, though!

maybe the paralysis that tends to occur in both of us in any proximity to Guy Garvey will wear off by then... ;)

jkayet said:
maybe the paralysis that tends to occur in both of us in any proximity to Guy Garvey will wear off by then... ;)

Hey! You did okay! You actually managed to form words. I was completely silent. I don't think I said anything...maybe "thank you" or "nice meeting you too." I don't remember. :slant: All I remember is the hair and the snugglyness.... :drool:

meeeeeeg! I was thinking about you guys last night and said a little prayer/happy thought for ya! :D Btw, I went out on Saturday and bought BOTH Doves CDs and have been listening to them pretty much non-stop since. :heart:

Can't wait to hear your story!!!

[/quote]All I remember is the hair and the snugglyness.... [/quote]
:yes:
yeah, inner monologue consisted of: "i love your hair...your voice is so nice...i want to hug you..." repeat. ;)
I think you said stuff...I really don't remember either. I think you might have said something about how great the show was, which I couldn't get out at the time... :)

Originally posted by jkayet

yeah, inner monologue consisted of: "i love your hair...your voice is so nice...i want to hug you..." repeat. ;)
I think you said stuff...I really don't remember either. I think you might have said something about how great the show was, which I couldn't get out at the time... :)

:eek: I DID?!?!?! :confused: wow....I remember thinking it, but not saying it... I hope I didn't say anything else I thought without realizing it.... :eek:

sulawesigirl4 said:
meeeeeeg! I was thinking about you guys last night and said a little prayer/happy thought for ya! :D Btw, I went out on Saturday and bought BOTH Doves CDs and have been listening to them pretty much non-stop since. :heart:

Can't wait to hear your story!!!

Thanks! Your prayer must have worked because we got to meet Guy! Yay!

Here's the story:

So we got to the venue extremely early because there were already people waiting in line. The only people there were in front of us, so we asked them to hold our spots while we went to get something for lunch. By this time, the busses had already arrived, and Doves and Elbow were in the theater. So we're walking down the sidewalk and literally run into Elbow coming out of the theater. :eek: We ended up eating lunch in the same restaurant as them, but we sat on the other side and actually managed (surprisingly) not to look over at their table and to talk normally without hypervenalating or giggling (major accomplishment for me). So we ate, threw our trash away (the trash cans were right next to their table, which was a little unnerving), and went back to the line. Guy came out and talked to some people for a bit and signed autographs, but we didn't want to bother him before the show and I was SO terrified that I wouldn't have been able to summon the courage anyway.

We were at the very front for the show (between Pete and Guy for Elbow and in front of Jimi for Doves), but I took I think one picture (of Doves when Jimi turned around. I'm such a wimp. :rolleyes: ) The highlights of the show: Elbow -- Guy looking at me and singing "you're a girl in this vicinity" (one of my yahoo email address), Guy smoking and singing and staring directly at Jennifer and me for extended periods of time during Scattered Black and Whites, and Guy in general :) . Doves -- JIMI (Oh my. I love him.), "Pounding," "Cedar Room," "Catch the Sun," "Spaceface," and Andy coming up and singing while Jimi played drums.

After the show, someone gave us Doves posters (yay!) and we were buying Doves t-shirts and lighters (haha) when we saw Guy Garvey moving in our direction. I was shaking like a leaf and scared out of my mind, but Jennifer somehow managed to ask him for a picture. Then he put his arms around us and pulled us in (my purse was between us, but he moved until it was behind us so we were all cuddly. Guy Garvey hip action.... :drool: ). None of us realized that Jennifer's camera flashes twice, and we all moved a little after the first flash, so the picture is probably really bad, but Guy Garvey is in it!! After the picture, Guy had his hand on the small of my back :)shocked: :drool: :love:) and....said....some....stuff....sorry, I was completely incapable of thinking, so I had no idea what he said. I guess the standard "Thanks for coming, did you have a good time?, etc." (It's a good thing he had his hand on my back, otherwise I probably would've fallen over dead). Then he left and we went outside.

We talked to some people for a bit, and then Guy came back and stood right next to me (it would have been shoulder-to-shoulder if I weren't so short, so shoulder-to-arm, I guess....) and talked to the people we were talking to (and I guess to us too, but I wasn't able to say anything and the other people were very loud and chatty). I just stood there looking him because I was completely unable to say a word. Then he shook our hands and said it was nice meeting us and Jennifer, in an unprecidented and very admirable moment of courage, told him we'd be at the show on Wednesday (which got a huge grin and look of surprise and again I guess he said something....). He then turned to me and shook my hand. Maybe I said something, maybe I didn't.....I know he did, but I'm not sure what....and that was it. We didn't stick around to meet Doves because we're both too shy to wait around outside the bus or anything.

It was kind of embarrassing because I was so obviously nervous and horribly silent (except for maybe saying things I don't remember). :eek: :eek: Guy was SO nice, though, and so snuggly, and his hair....

So it was a good night. :)

woooohooo! Awwww! Meg, I'm over here grinning like an idiot. lmao. That sounds awesome. Didn't I tell you??? Guy is CUDDLY!!!! :drool: :heart:

anyways, I'm quite jealous that you are going to see them again. *pout* Wish I could. hehehe.

btw, see if you can meet Pete next time. He's really funny and nice too. :D

You will post your pic(s) later, right?

sulawesigirl4 said:

As soon as we get them developed :) ....probably Thursday because I hope to actually work up the courage take pictures on Wednesday night and then take them in on Thursday for one hour developing. I can't wait to see the Elbow/Doves pictures and I still have pics from the night of drunken Ed Harcourt fun that are on the same roll.

yes, yes, you must take piccies on Wednesday! Just get close, turn OFF the flash, and wait for the spotlights and stuff to be bright enough. :D You should tell Guy (next time you meet him) that they are getting good press on a U2 board. lol.

btw, I have some more good pics of Jimi which I'll try to get up later on tonite for ya. ;) He cracks me up! :lol:

He then turned to me and shook my hand. Maybe I said something, maybe I didn't.....I know he did, but I'm not sure what....and that was it. We didn't stick around to meet Doves because we're both too shy to wait around outside the bus or anything.
Yeah, I think he said that his voice would be better this time in DC (since he was sick at the last show). I think we laughed - hopefully someone said it was great before - I think I heard that comment, but I have no clue if you said it or someone else... ???
We do need to meet Pete next time...and Mark...and jimi...anyone we can, i guess! :)

I somehow managed to take some pictures at the show, even though like megan, I was really afraid...I'll scan them as well and try to post. Yeah, hopefully we manage to take on more on Wednesday :) (like another one of us with guy garvey where we aren't moving!) :)

omg, check THIS out!!!! (this may be old to you, but I'd never seen it) U2 likes Elbow!!!

So, turns out there's a tidy, happy ending to the Elbow saga after all: The newer, improved, and decidedly more exploratory version of Asleep In The Back--imagine current-day Radiohead reinterpreting their more melodic early-period material, for starters, or maybe the Beta Band performing an underwater rock opera penned by Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips--has been a massive critical success in Britain, snagging a nomination for the prestigious Mercury Music Prize and landing on numerous year-end top 10 lists. And now, just as the album is being released in America, even multiple-Grammy-nominated megastars are declaring their love for Elbow: "We just read an interview with Bono and Adam Clayton, and they were asked what they're listening to and they both said, 'Elbow, Asleep In The Back.' Had we heard that 10 years ago, we would have never believed it. That was amazing!" gushes Mark.

Adam has the best taste....Doves and Elbow.... (don't anyone mention any of the bad music he likes and spoil my moment here! ;) )

He can come to my wedding to :heart: Guy Garvey :heart: . :sexywink:

(though in that wedding, no vows would be exchange because I would be incapable of speech....)

Lmfao. I can just see it now.

Minister/Priest: Do you, Guy, take this woman?
Guy: I do
Minister/Priest: Do you, Meg, take this man?
Meg: :silent:
Guy: :eyebrow:
Meg: :drool:
Minister/Priest: *ahem*
Guy: :sad: Say something!
Meg: :heart: :silent:

:lol:

I'm suffering from Guy Garvey withdrawal now....I can't until Wednesday! When I handcuff myself to him! :evil: :love:

hehe....evil love.

You think you're suffering withdrawal. I am sitting here listening to both Doves albums over and over and over again and wishing I HAD another show to go to. :sad:

zoney, let's fly to Boston tonite!!! :D

Post it!

p.s. You shouldn't tempt me. I'm the one who hopped on a plane radomly one day to go see U2 in Boston. ;)

Back
Top Bottom