The Best Batman Film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
For me its between The Dark Knight and Tim Burtons Batman in 89.

Although I don't think the new film is the masterpeice some are claiming it to be, I do think its a brilliant peice of cinema, and will probably be the best movie of the year. Despite running for around 2 and a half hours it is almost consistently riveting. Nolan keeps the thread taut throughout, only allowing the audience to relax temporarily before building to his next set peice.

The highlights are numerous:

The opening back robbery has a real sense of drama and plunges the audience right into the thick of things.

Batman's first appearance.

Christian Bale seemed much more comfortable this time around, I really bought him as Bruce Wayne

The Scarecrow cameo.

Michael Caine in general.

The Tokyo subplot.

Morgan Freeman in general.

Batman saving the falling Rachel.

Gary Oldman in general.

Commissioner Gordons apparent assasination

The Harvey Dent/Two Face development

Batman taking the blame and telling Gordon to hunt him.

Heath Ledger in general. It goes without saying that he lifts this film to another level entirely, without him TDK would still be a good film but it wouldn't be a great film. He's funny, maniacal, eccentric and often chilling and when he's on the screen he's compulsive. I don't know about you but in my cinema everytime he appeared the audience were completely silent, all fidgeting and rustling of popcorn stopped. He had so much quotable dialogue too and all the stuff in reference to him and Batman needing each other was great. I love that moment when Gordon gets his promotion and The Jokers applauding along too. Ledger's performance paper's over the cracks and distracts you from the flaws, at least until you leave the cinema anyway.

How Nolan is going to top this next time (if there's a next time) I don't know.

I still have a special place in my heart for Batman 89. Michael Keaton's great as Wayne, Kim Basinger was a much more credible love interest than Rachel Dawes and once again The Joker steals the show. Nicholson's performance is much more lightweight than Ledger's but still compelling and one way or another Burton set the tone for much of what was to follow. As great as Nolan's films are, Burton's fingerprints are all over them, everything from the darkness of Gotham, Wayne dealing with his demons, Batman flitting from the shadows and the sweeping orchestral music are all here. It has that spark of magic which is so rare.

So TDK just pips it, but Batman's not far behind. Which do you think is the best?

I could never really get into Batman Begins though. :shrug:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Batman
4. Batman Forever
5. Batman Returns
6. Batman (with Adam West)
7. Batman and Robin

If we're ranking:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman '89
3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
4. Batman Returns
5. Batman: The Movie
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman & Robin

I love them all except the last two.

If we're ranking:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman '89
3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
4. Batman Returns
5. Batman: The Movie
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman & Robin

I love them all except the last two.

Batman Begins doesn't even rate?

I've only seen three of them and part of Returns, but...

1. Batman '89 (9/10)
2. The Dark Knight (8.5/10)
3. Batman Begins (8/10)

Batman Begins doesn't even rate?

Holy fucking shit, what did I just do?

Re-vamp:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman '89
3. Batman Begins
4. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
5. Batman Returns
6. Batman: The Movie
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman & Robin

The first three are all-time favorites for me, the next three are really enjoyable, and the last two can fall into a black hole somewhere. Dear God. At least Warner Bros. sold their toys.

1. Batman
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman Returns
4. Batman Forever
5. Batman Begins
6. Batman and Robin

Begins is only below Forever because I continually find less reason to ever watch Begins again. It's simply one of the least engaging films I've seen several times. Technically more proficient that Forever perhaps, but I find more to love in the latter.

Incurred my wrath.

1. Batman
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman Returns
4. Batman Forever
5. Batman Begins
6. Batman and Robin

Begins is only below Forever because I continually find less reason to ever watch Begins again. It's simply one of the least engaging films I've seen several times. Technically more proficient that Forever perhaps, but I find more to love in the latter.

And this doesn't?

Watching Forever again for my commentary is going to suck, at least it's a shit-take on it.

And:

batkilmerqb9.png

He likes Forever a lot, which befuddled me, but he did explain that he has an attachment to the film due to seeing it during his youth. Can't argue that.

That's totally cool, but it still cracks me up.

It would make a great double feature with I'm Not There.

I think Batman Forever was the best of the franchise. Was it the best adaption of the comics? No. But I think it is the perfect combination of the campy side of Batman, the darker side of Batman and the feeling of Batman in the internet age. It was fun and over the top. It really felt like a living comic book.

I think Batman Forever was the best of the franchise. Was it the best adaption of the comics? No. But I think it is the perfect combination of the campy side of Batman, the darker side of Batman and the feeling of Batman in the internet age. It was fun and over the top. It really felt like a living comic book.

See, Lance, you're not alone.

Even if it's the equivalent of U2 "going commercial" in the '00s?

:scratch: I don't understand the comparison. Batman Forever didn't do anything we hadn't seen before from the franchise.

Alrighty, I'll go into more detail. Forgive me if you know all of this already:

Burton makes Returns and it's dark and graphic, so parents complained about taking their children to see it. It broke the record for best opening weekend, but the merchandise sales were tailing off. McDonald's pulled their toys from Happy Meals due to the parent outrage... so Warners started to panic. Burton didn't come back, neither did Keaton, and then we get Schumacher and his gang. To his credit, Forever's visual style is pretty great and it does actually look like a comic book, I agree, but he was pressured by the studios to deliver a more mainstream, family-oriented film, and also enough set pieces and vehicles and whatnot to sell toys. Why else would there be a plot device to use the "new suits" or "new Batwing" or "new Batboat"? To me, there are more negatives than positives with this film, and this is probably the root of it.

It made more money than Returns, fans were happy, parents were happy, McDonalds was happy, and Warners was happy, so they went full steam into Batman & Robin... and we all know how that turned out. Maybe I'm incredibly off-base here, but after watching the special features on the newer DVD and reading about the production of both Schumacher films and hearing it straight from the horse's mouth, I'm inclined to feel this way.

If you like it, more power to you, but for someone to bash films and music "obviously" catered for the mainstream and ignoring this blatant example beats me.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Mask of the Phantasm
4. Batman Forever
5. Batman '89
6. Batman Returns
7. Batman and Robin

Alrighty, I'll go into more detail. Forgive me if you know all of this already:

Burton makes Returns and it's dark and graphic, so parents complained about taking their children to see it. It broke the record for best opening weekend, but the merchandise sales were tailing off. McDonald's pulled their toys from Happy Meals due to the parent outrage... so Warners started to panic. Burton didn't come back, neither did Keaton, and then we get Schumacher and his gang. To his credit, Forever's visual style is pretty great and it does actually look like a comic book, I agree, but he was pressured by the studios to deliver a more mainstream, family-oriented film, and also enough set pieces and vehicles and whatnot to sell toys. Why else would there be a plot device to use the "new suits" or "new Batwing" or "new Batboat"? To me, there are more negatives than positives with this film, and this is probably the root of it.

It made more money than Returns, fans were happy, parents were happy, McDonalds was happy, and Warners was happy, so they went full steam into Batman & Robin... and we all know how that turned out. Maybe I'm incredibly off-base here, but after watching the special features on the newer DVD and reading about the production of both Schumacher films and hearing it straight from the horse's mouth, I'm inclined to feel this way.

If you like it, more power to you, but for someone to bash films and music "obviously" catered for the mainstream and ignoring this blatant example beats me.

Three things:

1. Batman '89 and Batman Begins are far more family friendly than Forever. Forever is the most sexually charged film of the franchise. It far more pyschological than any Batman movie before The Dark Knight.

2. The 60's Batman started the family film Batman films. Batman '89 features Joker blasting Prince in a completely useless scene. You don't think that was an appeal to be more mainstream?

3. Every Batman film features vehicles that are there to push sales of toys. You can't tell me the Batpod in The Dark Knight was really neccessary.

All Batman films feature some element of trying to raise sales and getting more viewers. It isn't any big change. Hell, the studios still tried to sell toys and promote the film to kids in the most adult Batman film. The Batman franchise has always been like this.

Thank you for clarifying. That information is very revealing about what the studios really look for in a comic book film. It is nice to see the darker comic book films do so well. :up:

Back
Top Bottom