The Bends: Best Radiohead Album!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
At least I think so!

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

I agree.

High and Dry is my favorite song I think of all Radiohead time.

Sulk is great.. so melodic..

Bones.. I love it..

Black Star..

* sigh

The whole album is great.

------------------
It wears her out, it wears her out

Well sorry rock the applecart, but I don't think it's even remotely their best record. Do love it, though.

If there has to be a number one, then my vote goes to OK Computer.

------------------
"Once again
I'm in trouble with my old friend
She is papering the windowpanes
She is putting on a smile
Living in a glasshouse..."

I can't decide. Sometimes it's the Bends, other times it's OK Computer.

I guess if I HAD to pick it would be The Bends.

------------------
Me3

And oh as I fade away they'll all look at me and say,
hey look at him and where he is these days
When life is hard you have to change

The Bends definitely has its moments and is a beautiful album. But OK Computer has a lot more to offer sonically (e.g. Paranoid Android) and is a more complete album. If I had to compare them in terms of U2 albums, The Bends = ATYCLB (Thom and Bono are vocally prominent) and OK Computer = AB (Jonny and Edge lead the way).

When I first heard both albums, I liked The Bends a lot more and actually thought OK Computer was overrated nonsense. Part of the reason I believe is because The Bends has strong melodies and is much easier to like on first listen. It feels easygoing and dreamy-like (Bulletproof) but seems complacent at times. Whereas, OK Computer is a much more driven album right from the start with Airbag and doesn't really let up until No Surprises (not counting Fitter, Happier). I think it overwhelms the listener and you can't really appreciate the songs until repeated listenings. Just give it some time and watch OK Computer consume your soul. Fitter, Happier, more productive, comfortable, not drinking too much....

Even U2 can't decide. Bono was quoted saying that The Bends was his favorite Radiohead album. Edge picked Ok Computer.

I'm a little surprised we haven't seen any "Kid A beats them all" responses.

MAP

Kid A is like my 3rd fav but I would never say it beats them all.

Well seeing as how it's been bumped up, The Bends is definitely my favourite Radiohead album. Like someone said earlier, Bones and Black Star are great songs and seeing them perform the title track two years ago was a show highlight for me ^_^

Must agree. Both this and OK Computer are both great but this one is more consistent for me and just fits my personal taste better (plus, it doesn't have Fitter Happier sitting in the middle to annoy me)

OKC is mind-blowing and achingly beautiful at the same time. But it does have Climbing Up The Walls, Fritter Happier and Electioneering which aren't quite as impressive as the rest, IMO.

The Bends is just perfection from start to finish! Every song is gold!

For the record, "Climbing up the Walls" is an absolutely amazing track. Stunning beyond description and dark as heck. That being said, it took me longer to get into that song than any other on OKC, like years longer. I do agree about Electioneering, good song but not up to par with the rest of the album. And "Fitter Happier" is not really a song at all so I try not to think of it as such.

And to stay on topic...The Bends Rocks!

Hoodlem said:
That being said, it took me longer to get into that song than any other on OKC

yeah, I think that's what it is for me too! Oh... who am I kidding? I love those 3 afore-mentioned songs as well! :drool: :wink: But The Bends I think juuuust (no pun intended) edges out Ok Computer!

Hoodlem said:
For the record, "Climbing up the Walls" is an absolutely amazing track. Stunning beyond description and dark as heck. That being said, it took me longer to get into that song than any other on OKC, like years longer. I do agree about Electioneering, good song but not up to par with the rest of the album. And "Fitter Happier" is not really a song at all so I try not to think of it as such.

And to stay on topic...The Bends Rocks!

Climbing Up the Walls is a fantastic song.
My favorite Radiohead song ever.
That climax is unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom