The Beatles' Solo Careers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well folks they were known as the greatest band ever, for some reason or another

but how did the fab four go after they pulled the plug after 9 years (albeit it was 9 very long years) of a being together as a band?

undoubtedly, having being the greatest band at their time, a lot of their solo career and whatever they did was going to be covered by the british press

John Lennon - he was the one to bridge being experimental (the Plastic Ono Band) with romanticism later on in his career. critics often believe the best of john lennon's solo stuff (Imagine, Merry Xmas (War is Over), Mind Games, Instant Karma) is better than the best of the beatles

George Harrison - he was the experimental beatle with regards to his music, starting out with one of the biggest solo debuts in All Things Must Pass. He tended to stay out of the limelight with regards to the press.

Paul McCartney - he went barking up the tree of being another Elton John, any adult contemporary station would still play his Wings/ Band on the Run stuff. he gets known as the 'uncool beatle' because of that

Ringo Starr - he cashed in on his beatles fame and made hits like 'Youre Sixteen', 'It Dont Come Easy' and 'Photograph', perhaps the luckiest man ever in the music industry to be that 'fourth member' to work alongside Lennon, Harrison and McCartney

unknown bits of trivia about the beatles solo careers

George Harrison was the first one to release a solo album, the no holds barred, 'all in' extravaganza "All Things Must Pass", songs which the Beatles decided against releasing as part of their band's albums : Isnt It A Pity, All Things Must Pass (title track) and My Sweet Lord, what was the Beatles loss was Harrison's gain

Ringo Starr was the first beatle in their solo careers to perform a concert in the USSR (thats a $250000 question right there!)

Paul McCartney - he went barking up the tree of being another Elton John, any adult contemporary station would still play his Wings/ Band on the Run stuff. he gets known as the 'uncool beatle' because of that

i've honestly never heard that before.

George Harrison was the first one to release a solo album, the no holds barred, 'all in' extravaganza "All Things Must Pass", songs which the Beatles decided against releasing as part of their band's albums : Isnt It A Pity, All Things Must Pass (title track) and My Sweet Lord, what was the Beatles loss was Harrison's gain

i'm pretty sure mccartney was released before.

McCartney Apr 20, 1970 (release)
All Things Must Pass Nov 27, 1970 (release)

source: www.allmusic.com

critics often believe the best of john lennon's solo stuff (Imagine, Merry Xmas (War is Over), Mind Games, Instant Karma) is better than the best of the beatles

never heard this either. i'm wondering what you're reading that i didn't read. i'm not trying to be condescending or anyhing, i'm curious. i've always been under the impression that the general consensous between beatles fans and critics alike is that none of them ever replicated the musical genius that they had as a band.

John Lennon solo sucked. Sorry, but it does.
Paul fared a little better, "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Band on the Run" are great.
Georgie's LP "All Things Must Pass" is brilliant.
Ringo played drums.

MrBrau1 said:

Sweet :up: "What Is Life" is the best tune to hear first thing in the morning!

that song is just good to hear in general.

CrashedCarDriver said:

Ringo Starr was the first beatle in their solo careers to perform a concert in the USSR (thats a $250000 question right there!)

Incorrect about George. His first solo album was "Wonderwall"
released in 1968. It was an intstrumenal album, featuring Eric
Clapton on a couple of trax.
"All Things Must Pass" wasn't released until 1970. It was a 3
lp set and quite pricey at the time. It is a masterpiece.

Paul: His first solo album "McCartney" was very good!
It contained the hit "Maybe I'm Amazed."
I don't agree that he's MOR, or adult radio material.
The Wings stuff rocked! Sure, there were a few love ballads.

John: His first solo album "Plastic Ono Band" is my fave!
"Imagine" was also a good one, but didn't have the
intesity as his 'primal scream" first solo effort.

Ringo: Doesn't seem to get much respect. He tours every years
it seems. I have a couple of his solo albums, and they're very
good! His first one and the '73 album.

Ringo: Doesn't seem to get much respect. He tours every years
it seems. I have a couple of his solo albums, and they're very
good! His first one and the '73 album.

i assume you don't own vertical man :crack:

RockNRollDawgie said:

nope. I heard it was good though.

you heard wrong. very wrong. i did like it for about a month after it came out, but my music taste was still pretty questionable at the time.

i was just thinking, what was the movie that mccartney worked on the score to before sgt. pepper? i'd dig out the anthology and check, bu i seem to have left the tapes at home. either way, that was before '68. i guess not technically a solo album...but here i thought we were just talking about post-beatles stuff...

The Family Way, with George Martin.

I enjoy various aspects of all the Beatles solo stuff. I think Lennon and Harrison managed the best individual songs, but McCartney was more consistent, if sentimental and commercial. Don't Come Easy was a good track for Ringo.

I liked the Beatles in the 80's but now they give me a pain.

I have some cd of John Lennon's which is called John Lennon something or other, cant remember the name. It has all the songs CCD listed in the first post, and I agree that it is better than everything the Beatles did together and apart.
Though that said, I went to a Paul McCartney concert some time in the 90's to keep my mum company and it was outstanding. The Wings stuff was shit, but the rest was excellent.

MrBrau1 said:
John Lennon solo sucked. Sorry, but it does.

I would have to disagree for the reasons listed below:

God
Isolation
Mother
Imagine
Jealous Guy
Happy Xmas
Mind Games
Nobody Loves You When You're Down And Out
Whatever Gets You Through the Night
Old Dirt Road
Nobody Told Me