The Beatles and iTunes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070402/D8O84RC00.html
Beatles Label Raises Web Expectations
Email this Story

Apr 1, 8:25 PM (ET)

(AP) Apple CEO Steve Jobs plays a Beatles song on iTunes as he introduces the iPhone at the MacWorld in...
Full Image

LONDON (AP) - Record company EMI Group PLC said Sunday it planned to unveil "an exciting new digital offering" with computer company Apple Inc. (AAPL), raising expectations that The Beatles' music catalog is about to be made available through Apple's iTunes online music store.

EMI said it would hold a news conference Monday at its London headquarters with its chief executive, Eric Nicoli, and Apple boss Steve Jobs "and a special live performance."

The company gave no further details.

EMI has been The Beatles' record label since the early 1960s.

The Beatles have so far been the most prominent holdout from iTunes and other online music services, and Apple's overtures to put the music online were stymied by a long-running trademark dispute with The Beatles' commercial guardian, Apple Corps. Ltd.

In February, Apple Inc. and Apple Corps resolved their legal feud over use of the apple logo and name, paving the way for an agreement for online access to the Fab Four's songs.

Apple Corps was founded by the Fab Four in 1968 and is still owned by Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, the widow of John Lennon and the estate of George Harrison.

I'd rather the announcement be about EMI dropping DRM from its songs on the iTunes store.

Keep holding out Beatles!

Since when was it such a struggle to go to record store and buy a CD?

Fuck the twenty-first century...

Canadiens1160 said:
I'd rather the announcement be about EMI dropping DRM from its songs on the iTunes store.

It's actually expected for DRM to be dropped from at least some EMI songs, rather than the Beatles being added to iTunes.

The press conference starts in about 20min. Central time :sick:

intedomine said:
Keep holding out Beatles!

Since when was it such a struggle to go to record store and buy a CD?

Fuck the twenty-first century...

Mmm, I agree. My friends all bag me cos I buy all my albums. I would much, MUCH prefer to own the proper thing with proper labels, covers, booklets etc then a burnt CD. I only download when it's one song I want.

About 95% of everything I have is bought

And, it's officially DRM free music, with a bump of price to $1.29, along with that, those songs will have a quality 256kb/s instead of the standard 128kbs/s. There will also be DRM encoded music with no quality bump for the normal $.99. You can also upgrade previously purchased music to DRM free for $.30.

:applaud:

Oh Paul and Ringo why must you be so stupid and not grow into the 21st century. This goes for you to Led Zeppelin.

Justin24 said:
Oh Paul and Ringo why must you be so stupid and not grow into the 21st century. This goes for you to Led Zeppelin.

And Radiohead
And AC/DC...

It's not the bands keeping these songs off the stores, it's the labels.

Back
Top Bottom