The Beach Boys appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
easily the most overlooked legendary group of all time

you have the stones, the beatles, the who, pink floyd

why arent they up there amongst them?

they ARENT the monkees (or something that horrid) you know? they played their own instruments

songs of a lifetime and generation like Sloop John B, God Only Knows, Wouldnt It Be Nice, Good Vibrations and I Get Around dont just happen by accident you know?

brian wilson is a genius

They were probably my first "favorite band".

I really need to buy a cd or two or ten of theirs. I still have some of their cassette tapes at home though (too bad I dont own a cassette player)

:drool:

created the best album (if such a thing exists) ever in Pet Sounds
even their earlier 'surf' singles (though lacking any kind of real depth) have indications of what a brilliant composer Brian was

their work on early 70's albums such as Sunflower, Surf's Up and Holland is among the most overlooked music ever made
though Brian didn't come close to produce what he did in the 60's he and his brothers Carl (especially) and Dennis still managed to make some truly unique and brilliant music

no one has ever come as close as creating beauty through music as Brian Wilson
and he will be recognized as one of the greatest composers ever along side Bach and Beethoven

What Salome said. :up:

Although I may disagree about the best album ever part. :sexywink:
Which is not to say that Pet Sounds isn't excellent. :bow:

C ya!

Marty

I like almost everything they ever did. Brian was experimenting with a lot of things in Smile, which was never released.

everytime i listen to pet sounds i can't believe how beautiful of an album it is.

They are my dad's all time favorite group. He used to try to get my brother, sister, and I to all take a part and sing along with him in the car. I bet that sounded great! :rolleyes:

I think I've seen them in concert about 5 times too. I don't remember much since I was a little kid but I know my dad always broke out the albums and obsessively played them after the concerts.

They have some really great songs and when I hear one it makes me want to hear more.

I first started listening to the Beach Boys because my best friend's older brother liked them. I really wasn't impressed until I saw them in concert. It would have been impossible not to have a good time, their music just doesn't allow for that.

My favourite songs: Good Vibrations, Surfer Girl and I Get Around.

RIP - Dennis and Carl

i like a few songs. they're not my favorite band in the world, but they're one of my favorites from my oldies station listening days.

although i prefer the weavers' version of 'sloop john b' (but that's only cos when i was really little my mom had me listening to folk music...)

Oh, just for the record I want to say that Let's Go Away For Awhile and Here Today are pure genius (and God Only Knows of course, but that one is a no-brainer).

:love:

Marty

Brian Wilson's recent tour is supposed to feature an integral performance of Smile
what the album should have been like according to him now

they'll prolly release one of the shows on dvd

parts of the Smile sessions can be found on the "Good Vibrations" 25 anniversary of the Beach Boys box

he was far ahead of his time in some aspects of life
(way behind in others though)

Last edited:
CrashedCarDriver said:
they ARENT the monkees (or something that horrid) you know? they played their own instruments

Ooh, don't let my mom hear you say that (and for the record, on later albums, the Monkees did play their own instruments).

Meh. Anyway, I like the Beach Boys, at least the stuff I've heard (which has basically been the big hits and stuff). "Good Vibrations" is definitely a good song, as is "God Only Knows".

My mom likes some of their songs, but she's always said that since she grew up in Iowa, beach music just didn't totally connect with her-she wouldn't know what it was like to go to the beach every day in the California sun and all that stuff.

My dad, on the other hand, who did grow up in California, loves them-matter of fact, he tells me that when he was a kid, he would go down a few blocks from his house and see them rehearsing in their garage. :). Never actually met them or anything, but he did see them doing that.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom