The backlash against Hip Hop is coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My work here is done.

What's that you say? I didn't do anything?...

Didn't I though?

Didn't I.

:sexywink:

Zoomerang96 said:

when will the world learn that white males are the most discriminated peoples?

"Y'all don't know what it's like, being male, middle-class, and white!!"

- Ben Folds, 'Rockin' the Suburbs'

HelloAngel said:
I guess I'm not understanding both points of what you're saying.

Hip-hop is NOT a musical trend like say, swing music. It is a valid form of expression for the people it represents - which isn't yourself from what you have said. Just because you might not understand, respect or relate to something doesn't mean it's not a valid piece of music and not a "trend."

Another thing, "resurgent" rock music? Rock is extremely popular right now and is full of exciting rock bands that are all over radio and the video channels.

Is it really that important to "relate" to a style of music to like it? I like most people never experienced life of an African American on the Mississippi delta, and yet I am a huge fan of BB King, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, John Lee Hooker and other blues legends. I didn't grow up in the turbulent 60s Detroit....and yet I like many others enjoy the music of Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye and other Motown artists.

LeafsNation said:

Is it really that important to "relate" to a style of music to like it? I like most people never experienced life of an African American on the Mississippi delta, and yet I am a huge fan of BB King, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, John Lee Hooker and other blues legends. I didn't grow up in the turbulent 60s Detroit....and yet I like many others enjoy the music of Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye and other Motown artists.

No, it's certainly not important. What I was essentially getting at is that alot of people easily dismiss a genre of music because they just don't relate to the lyrics, and therefore decide to not "like it" or declare that "it sucks." Granted, it is entirely fine to do that, of course. If you don't relate to something, that is a valid reason.

I think what alot of us are getting at is stating why hip-hop and rap are not a trend and are here to stay.

Last edited:
LeafsNation said:

Well... I can't argue with you there. That was very well said :up:

I have a friend who was production engineer for a small studio in NYC. He hated recording Hip-Hop artists. They would come in with lyrics, and an idea for a beat. They would expect him to figure out if the beat worked, and come up with all the other music. All they wanted to do was rap. Everything else, well, that's the producers job. He was expected to come up with it. Vocals/Lyrics-artist, all other music/arrangement-producer. I know not all Hip-Hop artists are like that, but it does leave an impression. The word "talent" gets thrown around WAY to much in Hip-Hop, as does the word "artist". The real talent lies in the hands of the great Hip Hop producers.

HelloAngel said:

No, it's certainly not important. What I was essentially getting at is that alot of people easily dismiss a genre of music because they just don't relate to the lyrics, and therefore decide to not "like it" or declare that "it sucks." Granted, it is entirely fine to do that, of course. If you don't relate to something, that is a valid reason.

I think what alot of us are getting at is stating why hip-hop and rap are not a trend and are here to stay.

As I reflected on your initial post, it got me to thinking that while relatibg to the music may not be that imortant....maybe considerable exposure to a genre has more to do with liking (or disliking) one or the other. I grew up on New Wave, hard rock and classic rock (although I wasn't around when classic rock was new). These were what the majority of my friends and schoolmates were into, so I'll own up and admit that had I had the chance to be around people that dug hiphop/rap that maybe I'd be a little less resistant to Hip Hop...though I I'm pretty sure it would not be my preference.

That being said I'll be honest and admit that I actually like some of the rap influenced rock like Linkin Park, Rage and the Chili Peppers esp. BloodSex Sugar Magic (though they are more funk-influenced).

Anyways, some of you have made me think twice about my relatively rigid position on this.

Cheers, LN

HeartlandGirl said:

I listen to a lot of rap, hip hop, r & b, and then some. I've been listening to rap since I was in the fifth grade. A little white girl in Oklahoma who ran home every day after school to catch Yo! Mtv Raps. I feel pretty qualified to talk about these genres of music.

I listen to these genres in all their glory. I'm not just into the less flashy artists, or the more intelligent ones, or the less violent ones. I love Snoop and 50 Cent as much as I love Boogie Down Productions and De La Soul. All of their music affects me in some way on a positive level. I find a lot of the booty, bling, and krunk music fun. It's not going to raise my IQ, but it will get my blood running and my eyes open while I'm driving to work in the morning. Snoop can talk all he wants about bitches and hoes--I know he's married to his high school sweetheart and has three kids. The guy coaches his kid's peewee football team. I know better than to take his music literally. It's entertainment.

But when it comes to how these genres touch my soul, there are many ways, especially when it comes to some rap and r & b artists. With rap, I may not relate to growing up amidst drugs, violence, and horrific poverty in an inner city or in the deep South, but I want to hear their stories. I want to know what it's like and see their victory in overcoming the odds. Life is a struggle for everyone, and I want to hear about theirs. And hearing about it can sometimes break my heart, enrage me to the depths of my soul, and lift me up to think that one day, things may not have to be that way.

And with r & b, their are some fantastic songs about all types of subjects. Beautiful, soulful ballads, angry songs of heartbreak, and still more songs of struggle. Mary J. Blige's 'No More Drama' especially comes to mind. Aaliyah, Erykah Badu, Jodeci (back in the day), even BoyzIIMen, can really make you feel what they're singing about, no matter what they're saying.

The feelings and emotions conveyed in the songs of all these genres are as diverse as they are in any other genre. Anger, love, romance, violence, revenge, sex, joy, depression, fear, confidence, the preciousness of life...it's all there if you're willing to hear it.

If you're feeling really open minded, here are some rap songs that especially get to me. The stuff in parentheses is just a quick note as to what the song is about.

DMX - Who We Be (about the struggle of blacks)
Bubba Sparxxx - Nowhere (poor whites and blacks in the South)
Arrested Development - Tennessee, Revolution (black history)
Public Enemy - Fight the Power (black empowerment)
DMX - Slippin' (growing up surrounded by violence)
De La Soul - Millie Pulled a Pistol on Santa (sexual abuse)
Boogie Down Productions - My Philosophy (about stereotypes and the music industry)
Talib Kweli - Get By (optimism for the future)
Faithless - Mass Destruction (the current war in Iraq)

HeartlandGirl,

I'll take you up on your advice and give these tracks a try with an open mind...though I can't promise anything. I'll let you know what I think about them some time.

Thanks for the "challenge"

LN

LeafsNation said:

That being said I'll be honest and admit that I actually like some of the rap influenced rock like Linkin Park...

well, actually, you shouldn't.

LeafsNation said:

HeartlandGirl,

I'll take you up on your advice and give these tracks a try with an open mind...though I can't promise anything. I'll let you know what I think about them some time.

Thanks for the "challenge"

LN

:up:

That's cool that you're at least willing to give them a listen and see what you think. The songs I listed aren't necessarily the 'best' rap songs or my favorites (though I do love them all), but they definitely express a lot of emotion. Have fun exploring!

Back
Top Bottom