The Ashes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the rockin edge said:

I bet :lol: in my experience they pick up the bat and start swinging it around like a bloody baseball bat :tsk: like their trying to hurt someone.

and when it somes to bowling, good luck:wink:

I never really bowled much (or well) :reject:

Oh, goodness, the bat mystefied them, though I managed to get all but one to at least keep the thing grounded.

Bowling was a lost cause. Bowling's about all I can do well, so I just compensated for everyone there.

*Misses playing cricket*

Plays hockey instead :up: Hard ball just like cricket:hyper:, a stick to swing around just like cricket :hyper:. No protective gear unlike cricket :huh:

:lol:

I have tried to understand it but it does me no good, because I am lost. I have had several Brits explain it to me before and still am clueless. :confused: Oh well. :sigh: All I know is from what I have seen on Sky Sports on Fox Soccer Channel, the players are good looking. :wink:

:laugh: Which goes to show you that I don't know a damn thing about it.

By the way, what is "wicket"? :der: :| I am sure I misspelled that.

A wicket has a number of meanings in cricket.

Taking a wicket means that you have bowled someone out (ie hit the three stumps behind the batsman) or the batsman has hit the ball and one of the fielders has caught it or the batsman has hit the ball, gone to run down the other end and the fielder has hit the three stumps before he has reached the crease (the line on the ground in front of the stumps).

The wicket is also the pitch, ie the strip that is mowed very short which the batsman must run up and down on.

Finally, the wicket can be the three stumps. So, a batsman can be "out" if he doesn't play a shot, the ball hits him on the leg pad and his leg is in front of the stumps (or in this case wicket). Also known as Leg Before Wicket or LBW.

The fielding team want to get 10 wickets (ie, 10 batsman out) while the batsman want to stay at the wicket for as long as possible.

I hope this helps and if I have got anything wrong or missed anything I am sure some of our experts will fill you in.

:D

Tania said:
A wicket has a number of meanings in cricket.

Great Post Tania! :up:

Now I will elaborate and use each of these uses in a sentance.

Wicket As A Dissmissal: "Australia has just lost another wicket, 35 for 9 now."

Wicket As The Pitch: "Maybe if Ricky Ponting didn't spend all out last night at the Burboun And Beefstake he would not have passed out on the wicket"

Wicket As Stumps: "Shane Warne's drug enduced haze may have been a contributing factor to him stepping on his wicket in the second test".

:yes:

A fielder/bowler/keeper only has to hit one of the 3 wickets/stumps to get the batsman declared out, Tania :madspit:.

Does anyone know when and why Australia changed fom announcing the score with 'runs then outs' instead of the way we used to do it which was outs then runs?
or..
9/35 instead of the rest of the world doing it as 35/9?

I know :madspit: I just thought that would complicate things and really send MVD round the twist.

I thought they only did it when playing overseas. I thought it was still the same when playing in Oz?

timothius said:

Wicket As The Pitch: "Maybe if Ricky Ponting didn't spend all out last night at the Burboun And Beefstake he would not have passed out on the wicket"

Wicket As Stumps: "Shane Warne's drug enduced haze may have been a contributing factor to him stepping on his wicket in the second test".

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'm listening to the Test match on the BBC and trying to pick the game up.

It's not quite the same as watching it but it does sound pretty exciting, which is quite weird because cricket seems to involve a lot of maths and I hate maths.

timothius said:

Great Post Tania! :up:

:lmao: Brilliant! :lmao:

Australia are 210/7? :lol:

Bloody fantastic.

They can look forward to a similar score in the rugby tonight, New Zealand 210 - 7 Australia. CRICKET SCORE RUGBY, WOO! :rockon:

timothius said:
Shit... they are going to lose the cricket and the rugby tonight. :sad:

I feel so much sympathy for the Australian nation at the moment. I am deeply grieving within my soul.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

Has anyone seen the Advanced Hair Studio ad where Shane is sitting in some stand with some guy and they get text messages? Not even Warne can keep a straight face. Took balls, I spose, agreeing to that ad.

And good work, Axver :D We really need sympathy, being so bloody bad at sport, like we are!

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

WHAT! You mean that my "sweated blood and tears" explanation didn't convert you?:sad: Oh well, what about the fact that some of the guys are hawt? :lmao:

Actually, this current series is probably the most exciting in a long, long time. :up:

Axver said:

I feel so much sympathy for the Australian nation at the moment. I am deeply grieving within my soul.

Was that sarcasm in your sentence, Axver? :eyebrow:

The fat lady ain't singing yet... :lol:

Angela Harlem said:

Has anyone seen the Advanced Hair Studio ad where Shane is sitting in some stand with some guy and they get text messages? Not even Warne can keep a straight face. Took balls, I spose, agreeing to that ad.

And good work, Axver :D We really need sympathy, being so bloody bad at sport, like we are!

The other guy is Graham Gooch.

Strauss gets his century.

This is pretty interesting stuff, really.

I'm looking at the official scorecard and I can actually more or less understand most of it, apart from:

M R Vaughn c sub b B Lee

That means Vaughn has been bowled out by Lee, but what does the 'sub' refer to?

Back
Top Bottom