The Arcade Fire live show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kakvox

Refugee
I think I just witnessed one of the greatest concerts I have ever seen - The Arcade Fire at the Riviera here tonight in Chicago. I actually shed a small tear when they opened up the show with the triumphance of 'Wake Up'. Everyone who can see this band needs to RIGHT NOW. :bow:

so were they any good or

cause if they're not, i'm throwing friday's ticket away.

:angry:

:ohmy:

:laugh:

a7

i'm seeing them live Tuesday night in edmonton alberta. i wasn't so excited about it before (doesn't live up to the u2 shows i just saw in toronto), but after your post, i'm getting a little more excited about it now!

Got to see them Sunday at ACL

Zoomer, I know you're kidding about throwing those tics away :wink:

But damn, they were fantastic. 'Wake Up' is an absolutely incredible opener. So much energy in every song. It's a shame due to festival scheduling they were only able to play an hour

kakvox said:
I think I just witnessed one of the greatest concerts I have ever seen - The Arcade Fire at the Riviera here tonight in Chicago. I actually shed a small tear when they opened up the show with the triumphance of 'Wake Up'. Everyone who can see this band needs to RIGHT NOW. :bow:

God I wanted to go to that show so bad. I'm glad you enjoyed. Great venue.

I just got back from the same show. Damn, it was amazing. Wolf Parade before were fantastic and full of energy and the Bell Orchestre consisiting of members of the Arcade Fire were pretty incredible as well. I picked up both their albums. Here's the setlist:

Wake Up
Laika
Headlights
Haiti
Submarine
5 Years (David Bowie cover)
7 Kettles
Crown of Love
Neighborhood 1
Power Out
Rebellion
-break-
No Cars Go
Backseat

Afterwards I talked with Will Butler (he went to my school and it was practically all people from my school there) and talked about opening for U2 and how excited the band is! Everyone does need to see this band live immediately. They even said tonight they won't stop until they write a million songs! :wink:

I just uploaded some pics I took from last night. Unfortunately I only had my crappy phone camera, so they're not as good as they could have been...but you still get the idea :wink:

ArcadeFire1.jpg

ArcadeFire3.jpg

ArcadeFire2.jpg

Chicago 9-28-05 setlist

win acoustic alone A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall as intro to...
wake up
laika
headlights look like diamonds
haiti
i'm sleeping in a submarine
Five Years (david bowie)
7 kettles
crown of love
tunnels
power out->rebellion
---
no cars go
in the backseat

:drool:

I'm jealous. :angry: Damn you, The Arcade Fire, COME TO NEWFOUNDLAND.

Glad you had a good time, though!

alright

i saw them on friday with the bell orchestre and wolf parade.

both opening acts were great, especially wolf parade. they opened with you are a runner and i am my father's son...which kicked unmeasurable amounts of ass.

arcade fire came out to the delight of the crowd, dressed in black. you probably could have guessed as much.

must have been hot though, cause it was bloody hot where i was and there were no lights on me.

which was odd...really, people i guess 7ust didn't realize i was around?

anyway, right before they hit the stage there was this interesting looped sample that began playing...really atmospheric and beautiful.

after a few minutes the band launched into tunnels. the thumping of the verses before the chorus kicked really let everyone know this show was NOT going to suck.

and it didn't.

cause after that they went into crown of love, which i thought was an interesting choice cause it was a bit of a slow song to play so soon in the set. but it's live rendition is quite a bit more aggressive than the album version, and proved to be a lovely fit in the set.

can't remember the order of the rest of the songs, so i'll go about a bit drunkardly...

haiti i believe was played next and was incredible. the extended outra was stellar, and the band really showcased how tight they are despite there being like 7 or 8 members.

laika was then played

no kettles though, which disappointed me. they also played bowie's five years.

um

headlights look like diamonds! woah, the piano/keyboard can't remember now what it was totally stood out in this song. that sounds rather ironic that i can't remember eh? oh well.

everyone was cooing along to this one.

power out was introduced as "we're a cover band and this next one is a new order song".

two seconds later BANG they crashed into it. that's a rock song.

it morphed into rebellion which totally brought down the place. great venue too, any of you familiar with the walker theatre? it's named the burton cummings theatre now, but this place is around a 100 years old. beautiful.

anyway, that closed out the main set before they came back to play wake up and in the backseat.

i've seen rem, stars, u2, apostle of hustle, etc. and this was my favourite show of all them. it was simply unreal. this band is for real, and might actually be better than broken social scene. i have a hard time saying that, believe me.

but i'll know more when i see bss in november.

sorry this was so unfocussed, but i don't feel very well at the moment, and i wanted to document my memoirs before the show is only a distant memory.

Zoomerang96 said:
power out was introduced as "we're a cover band and this next one is a new order song".

two seconds later BANG they crashed into it. that's a rock song.

it morphed into rebellion which totally brought down the place.
power out into rebellion?? :drool: that sounds incredible.
i've seen rem, stars, u2, apostle of hustle, etc. and this was my favourite show of all them. it was simply unreal. this band is for real, and might actually be better than broken social scene. i have a hard time saying that, believe me.

excellent! :up: thanks for posting this, even though you're under the weather. feel better soon!

i'm really looking forward to seeing the arcade fire and wolf parade on tuesday. so much so, that i'm worried that my expectations will ruin it.

i'll also be seeing the arcade fire open for U2 in ottawa, and from everything i've seen and read, they may just blow U2 off the stage.

They were great at Lolla in Chicago back in July (definitely stole the show) so I'd imagine their own show was even better. FAR better live vs. on record.

Yeah, some of their stuff isn't quite as original as its made out to be, unbeknownst to most of their fan base (some of the multi-instrumentalist stuff sounds lifted directly from early Waterboys records...Mike Scott should sue). Nevertheless, a promising band with a bright future. Definitely recommended.

NumbMacphisto said:

5 Years (David Bowie cover)

When I discovered the Arcade Fire my favourite song was Five Years. I MUST SEE THIS!

They'll never come to Denmark :sad:

Yeah, I don't think they're coming to Florida anytime soon are they? :(

Back
Top Bottom