The Arcade Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ha!!

i love it when the girl looks right at the camera for you :wink:

live they have the energy of a 7000 foot tall tiger on steroids. probably best live show i've seen since u2. i wish i could see 'em again tonight.

That's cool, Skeek. :up:

I'm still waiting on my CD store to get in the album....they're taking forever. It's starting to tick me off. :mad:

if they're coming anywhere near you there's a good chance it might be less to buy the cd at the show. was 15 bucks CAD at the show i was at and most stores have it for 20

basically. if they sing poprock kinda guitarish stuff. elbow, doves, coldplay, starsailor, travis, i am kloot, blur, pulp, oasis etc

SkeeK said:
basically. if they sing poprock kinda guitarish stuff. elbow, doves, coldplay, starsailor, travis, i am kloot, blur, pulp, oasis etc

That's like calling any band from Seatle grunge.

Sorry, got kicked off the computer before I could finish. :reject: Anyway, Britpop is/was more of a scene than a particular kind of music. Britpop was about lad culture, New Labour, Britishness.... things I don't think many 00's bands exactly stand for. Britpop was also very inspired by 60's British bands like the Kinks and the Beatles, as well as mods. There are bands that definitely make the same sort of music as Oasis, Pulp, Suede, Blur, etc., but none that have been mentioned. To lump Elbow, Radiohead, Doves, and I Am Kloot into the same genre as Oasis just because they come from the same island is a bit lazy, I think.

I agree, meggie.

for example, Seafood and Kent or by no means Britpop...they are Alternative Rock in everyway

Doves and Elbow walk a thin line between the vain sentimentality of brit pop and the attempt to leave all that behind through obscurity and quasi-experimentation...in the pursuit to be a pale imitation of Radiohead. ;)

seems like most british bands either come directly from the beatles and bends era radiohead...or from latter day radiohead.

I don't have a problem with britpop, really.
if I do sometimes, it's because
a)the British press hypes EVERYTHING like it's the beatles all over.
I think there's actually a lot of hype around what I had for breakfast...though its certainly not British.
b)a lot of these bands use 'safe music' as a backdrop for their relentless attempts to make me feel sad.

but I must thank you for turning me on to seafood...I quite enjoy the album I have (when do we start fighting)

I hate the British music press. :mad: If I see ONE MORE thing about the Libertines (especially Pete :mad: ), I will claw my own eyes out.

I think they're a family-rated band, anyway, right?

all about the neighborhood

i'd be impressed if they did a cover of usher's burn.

song of the year? you know it. :up:

oh yes finally people here are getting into The Arcade Fire!! This makes me so happy. :)

Our sophomore year at NU, my friend Will said to me "hey L-Rocks I'm taking off spring quarter and the summer to go to Montreal to play with my brother's band." I was like "Ok Will you go do that, you rock star." .....a year and a half later, The Arcade Fire are all the fucking rage at CMJ and are signed to Merge Records. haha, and I am still removing my foot from my mouth.

"Funeral" is amazing.

So now I've heard two of the songs

'Neighbourhood #3' is bloody amazing, can't stop listening to it

'Wake Up' is decent but really because of the utter supreme goodness of 'Neighbourhood #3' I really don't feel like listening to it so much

I have to hear more to form more opinions. Thank you to everyone for hyping it up a lot and making me curious to find out more.

And hey, Quebec isn't just about Celine Dion and Simple Plan anymore! :wink:

yertle-the-turtle said:
'Neighbourhood #3' is bloody amazing, can't stop listening to it

Power Out is definitely my favourite thus far. I noticed while browsing ateaseweb there was a thread about the emergence of Canada on the mainstream music scene. It's scary, but it just might happen... in retrospect of course.

:up:

and I agree Zoomerang

Laika is my favorite :drool:
whole album is amazing, a good cyber-friend (?) of mine likes Arcade Fire too, thanks to me

Back
Top Bottom