the 5th Beatle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2phan

The Fly
surprisingly this was a question my teacher asked during our study session for our upcoming AP US History semester final. We were playing a "jeopardy" style game where questions would be asked, and this was the "random" round. My team, led by the history buff ME, was vying for the points lead in the clutch, and every point was starting to count.

Anyways the question is directed to my friend Hodge on a different team, and he's a fellow Beatlemaniac like me who answers flawlessly.

But I blurted out, "YOU FORGOT THE FIFTH BEATLE!!!"

Luckily I was just reading Larry Kane's biography "Lennon Revealed", and was just learning about John's deep friendship with the original bassist Stuart Suttcliffe. For anyone who doesn't know, Stuart quitted the band before they hit it big, and died before they became famous. The tragedy hurted John deeply, it was said Stuart was closer to him than Paul.

Back to the question, I was showing off my musical trivia by arguing about the achievements of other "Beatles", mostly Stuart, and their producer George Martin. Sadly my teacher was in no mood for a hearty debate and docked my team several points. Not that I cared, I rather defend the Beatles' honor than earn extra credit for the class....ugh. We ended up losing by 2 points. Darn it.

thought I would share that with you. Anyways my question is, were there anyone else closely related with the Beatles that could be seen as a "5th member"?

The 5th Beatle will always be Pete Best.He was replaced in the band by Ringo.Stuart Sutcliffe left under his own steam in'62 to go his own way,to be an artist.

The only reason The Beatles went to Hamburg in the late '50s was due to Pete Best.They needed a drummer to get the stint at the Star Club,he was the only one available at that time on the local circuit,so they went.

Hamburg are currently in the process of commissioning a statue to remember The Beatles,and there is some debate as to who should be in it;Pete Best or Ringo Starr.The last word was they we're thinking of putting the two in,so there could be 5 Beatles after all.

Later on, when the Beatles were not getting along and having a hard time just being with each other in the same room, Billy Preston joined them on organ and made certain studio sessions bearable. The two songs he appears with them on - Get Back and Don't Let Me Down - are true classics.

So now we're up to eight. :wink:

Stuart Suttcliffe was a horrible bass player as far as I remember. He was an artist not a musician and cared more about his art. Actually, when they first came across some money Stuart wanted to by paints and supplies for his art. Paul Mcartney pushed to use the money to purchase a bass. The rest of the band thought that was a better idea. So they bought a bass. Stuart played it at first but they found he sucked at it. So Paul then became the bass player after they got rid of Stuart.

What about Jimmy Nicol, who replaced Ringo (sick due to tonsillitis and pharyngitis), on their 1964 world tour. He played one show in Copenhagen (4 June 1964) and a few gigs in Australia.

Then you have Eric Clapton who played on “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”.

Down Under said:
What about Jimmy Nicol, who replaced Ringo (sick due to tonsillitis and pharyngitis), on their 1964 world tour. He played one show in Copenhagen (4 June 1964) and a few gigs in Australia.

Then you have Eric Clapton who played on “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”.

I think most people try and forget about Jimmy:(

Back
Top Bottom