The 2014 AFL Thread with Wankard and Big Mummy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really surprised that Brisbane couldn't beat GWS at home, coming off of two straight wins. The Giants haven't won in over a month.

Brisbane just went completely to pieces after Brown's injury. Don't know how much we can credit that, but the Lions are overly reliant on him, both for his ability and as inspiration.

And there you go Vlad, a handy win. Apart from the end of the second quarter, that was definitely Shit North Melbourne tonight, which means next week they'll come out and thump whoever they're playing by 100.

They came close to Essendon and Hawthorn though, they were due for a big win.

Next week against Essendon will be pretty significant though, considering ladder positions and the ASADA crap.

I hardly ever tip North because they fall apart precisely when I put any faith in them. I should have known better.

Only 12,000 at the Gabba, geez, especially after 2 wins in a row!

That is perhaps to be expected in light of the season Brisbane's having. On the other hand, the attendance at the MCG for Richmond vs Freo was simply appalling - 22,000. With no other games on in Victoria yesterday, and featuring one of the state's best supported clubs, you would've expected so much better.

It was the lowest ever crowd between those two teams.

Starting to look rather unlikely that North will repeat their feat of last week.

And good god Jonathan Brown really copped it in the Brisbane/GWS game. Losing him is the last thing the Lions need.

His response was typical Browny "not frightened by that"

Urgh. We've lost to Adelaide and Bulldogs? Totally not top four worthy.

Unfortunately missed the game as I was swimming at the beach here in WA.

Fucking hell. Well, if you kick 10.17, you get what you deserve really.

Good work Dogs, though!

It's annoying how the Bombles have developed a habit in recent years of losing narrow games to the Dees thanks entirely to shithouse goal accuracy.

Wait...

So I seriously tipped three right this week?? :lol: As big a fail as my team's.

Honestly though, I don't mind. Collingwood and Essendon can lose all day, every day. Unless they're playing each other, in which case they can tie.

The Dogs' midfield has a very high ceiling, they managed to win that despite Cooney getting subbed off early and Griffen playing injured on one leg. It's just their forward and backlines that aren't close to top 8 standard.

I'm extremely pleased that, though Brisbane took a hard loss to a side in wooden spoon position, St. Kilda managed to fall below them anyway. The Saints have to be the most unremarkable franchise in the AFL.

Four-way tie for last and each team is only four games out of the 8 with ten rounds to go. Meanwhile, there's a three-way tie for second and ties all throughout the 8. The finals picture could change significantly in a few short rounds.

Last edited:
I don't think we can win it, judging by that Sydney loss, but obviously I'll never write us off.

I think we've got our final top eight, maybe swapping Gold Coast out for West Coast. Or maybe Adelaide.

And it's nice to have the bottom side 3-9 this year as opposed to the 0-12's and 1-11's we've become so accustomed to of late.

I think 6 of the 9 victors were below the other team on the ladder. Great round of footy, made the world's game look even more boring than usual.

I could not agree more.

I'm extremely pleased that, though Brisbane took a hard loss to a side in wooden spoon position, St. Kilda managed to fall below them anyway. The Saints have to be the most unremarkable franchise in the AFL.

Hahaha yeah, this season just gets all the more humiliating for the Saints. I've always found St Kilda kind of likeable in a pitiful sort of way though. If you asked me to rank the teams by how much I like them, they'd be in the lukewarm section.

I think we've got our final top eight, maybe swapping Gold Coast out for West Coast. Or maybe Adelaide.

Gold Coast have a brutal run over the next few weeks - I don't see them beating Geelong, Hawthorn, or Collingwood, though they won that Collingwood fixture last year - but then they get a fairly good run home in the final seven weeks. I'm backing them to make the eight.

I won't be shocked if North Melbourne fall out of the eight. At their best they're top four worthy, but they are so fucking inconsistent and lose so many games to teams they should simply flog. I won't be shocked if they go into the final week against Melbourne needing only to lose by less than 50 to make the eight, and somehow get done by 100. That's the sort of thing they'd do.

Also, at the moment I won't be shocked if it's a Port vs Sydney grand final, but I really badly want it to be Port vs Freo. Port's dream run surely can't last all the way to the grand final though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom