The 2014 AFL Thread Chasing a Place in the Eight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jordan Lewis with the final nail. Cats are goooone.

Even when Geelong get a chance late, they totally fuck it up. This is turning into a blowout now.

Wow Langford what a goal! And good god do Hawthorn look scary after that. I feel sorry for whatever poor bastards play them in the prelim.

Maybe this is the end of Geelongs wacky adventures?

homerlovesflanders2.png

I'm starting to think only Freo can stop the Hawks. Sydney - and to a lesser extent Port - can pile on the goals and go toe-for-toe in a shoot-out, but Freo have the rock-solid defence to shut down Hawthorn while they go forward themselves.

If we end up with a GF replay, do you think Freo will be experienced enough to shake off the nerves or whatever it was that stifled them last year?

I fucking love this Hawthorn side - so beautifully slick and professional. Geelong (Bartel and Selwood usually involved) have their moments but couldn't sustain brilliance to the extent that Hawthorn can. Mitchell, Lewis, Birchall, Smith, Hodge, Breust, Gunston, Hale, Roughead - love them all

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

If we end up with a GF replay, do you think Freo will be experienced enough to shake off the nerves or whatever it was that stifled them last year?

Yeah I struggle to believe they'd let a second chance slip through their fingers - especially with some of their elder statesmen on the cusp of retirement and the premiership window on the verge of closing.

Today's clash against Sydney should tell us most of what we need to know about Freo's potential. A big win would be ominous - even for Hawthorn.

Yeah I struggle to believe they'd let a second chance slip through their fingers - especially with some of their elder statesmen on the cusp of retirement and the premiership window on the verge of closing.

Today's clash against Sydney should tell us most of what we need to know about Freo's potential. A big win would be ominous - even for Hawthorn.

I'm not silly enough to think the Hawks are unbeatable - if this season has taught us anything, it's that anything is possible. It's a shame Gold Goast fell over without Gazza, it would have been really interesting to see them make the finals.

I think Sydney will win today's match relatively comfortably - with Fremantle's defence badly undermanned and Sydney with Tippett and Franklin back in the team. The most important man today is tactician Ross Lyon, who needs to find a way to suppress Sydney's midfielders from creating space in the centre before they get a chance to bomb it inside 50. If anyone can stop that Lyon can.

If anyone can counter to Lyon, Longmire can. Two of Paul Roos' protégés at it in the coaching box, what a proposition with such high stakes.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Sydney came out strong early, but by the end of the quarter it seemed pretty even going. Carn Freo!

Can't believe only five Dockers have ever played at ANZ before. That's ridiculous.

Pav is playing one hell of a game. Can't believe he got that goal right before the break.

Why is Basil allowed to commentate finals matches.

Ugh, he's so fucking boring. Though Hamish annoys me more. This whole Saturday afternoon team is an embarrassment and I can't fathom why they get to call a final. Surely Huddo should get this - I know he's a Foxtel commentator but you'd think 7 and Foxtel would perhaps collaborate to make sure all games have good callers.

Did I just see Lyon smashing a phone?

Hahaha yes, and there was a good Longmire facepalm earlier too.

Freo have done well to not let Buddy or Tippett cut loose yet - though a couple of shocking misses by Tippett have helped. Hope Freo can keep it up, especially because Malceski being injured early means Sydney's run and rotations are limited. Could be crucial late if this game stays as tight as it is now. I'm a bit nervous though; Sydney have looked the better team so far, and if they get on a roll...

Back
Top Bottom