The 2014 AFL Thread Chasing a Place in the Eight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's going to be a laugh if Port get knocked out early especially after they had the May premiership in the bag halfway through the season. The look on Whingegard's face. :up:

I get the impression everybody in Adelaide who isn't a Port fan will be barracking hard for the Tiges. :lol:

At least this means Essendon can pass on the mid-season premier title to Port - or even more fittingly to Collingwood, going from top four to failing to make finals.

Uh guys, don't look now but Melbourne are leading North.

The best rivalry of the last six years kicks off the finals:

Hawthorn vs Geelong - 7:50pm Friday, MCG
Sydney vs Freo - 2:45pm Saturday, ANZ
North vs Essendon - 7:15pm Saturday, MCG
Port vs Richmond, 3:20pm Sunday, Adelaide Oval

Some odd times there. I didn't check, but the Port/Tiges time is presumably eastern, not local, because otherwise it would fuck up Seven's news broadcast.

It's perfectly realistic to predict that Hawthorn and Geelong could play each other again in the grand final. If so, whoever wins the qualifying final will have played the other three times in five games (and for the loser, six games). There are few other match-ups I'd rather see that frequently.

2 meetings in the space of 3 weeks for Cats/Hawks? Wonder if they ever groan at the thought of having to do it all again and so soon, it'll probably be anti-climactic this time around.

I seem to recall they played fairly close-together games last year too, between the end of the season and the finals. The AFL and channel 7 must love it, they know they'll pull a crowd/ratings.

Just had a look at 2013's schedule and Geelong vs Hawthorn was in round 15. They didn't meet again for another eleven weeks, in the preliminary final.

Will be very interesting to see how differently the clubs play next week compared to last week. Cyril will be back for the Hawks, won't he?

Well, just goes to show how crap my memory is! Was there another match-up closer to the end of the season that was repeated in the finals?

I think they were definitely hoping to get him back for finals, although maybe not in the first week? I guess it depends on how well he's healed, and I haven't heard anything for a couple of weeks.

I can't find any Geelong vs Hawthorn repeat match-ups anywhere near as close together as this over the past five seasons. But then I'm tired and perhaps I accidentally glazed over something.

Anyway, yes, I totally agree the AFL and 7 must just love this. Turnout should be massive. Saturday night should be immense with the Essendon faithful too - given that North Melbourne's fanbase is not particularly big, it's possible Essendon fans could equal or outnumber them even though it's technically a North home game. And I wonder how many Richmond fans will be able to shove aside Port supporters to squeeze into the Adelaide Oval? The AFL is probably creaming itself at the thought of next weekend's ticket sales already - the only game that probably won't sell like hotcakes is Sydney vs Freo, since it's in Sydney and only a limited number of Freo fans will be able to make the trip. Should still sell pretty well though.

I will say that I am quite pleased with how this final round went. Richmond passing up Collingwood really made my day.

West Coast played today as if they could still make the eight.

Saturday night should be immense with the Essendon faithful too - given that North Melbourne's fanbase is not particularly big, it's possible Essendon fans could equal or outnumber them even though it's technically a North home game.

Bombers fans should out number Norf fans by a mile. And Considering North have only played at the MCG twice this year (Pies and Dees) And I might be wrong, but I don't think they have a great record at the 'G would give the Bombers a bit of favouritism.

Bombers fans should out number Norf fans by a mile. And Considering North have only played at the MCG twice this year (Pies and Dees) And I might be wrong, but I don't think they have a great record at the 'G would give the Bombers a bit of favouritism.

Yeah I'm quietly optimistic. We need to make sure we play the whole damn game though, and by the sounds of it we won't have Carlisle back either. Thank god we don't have to make the trek to Port.

Our season sucked but at least we got to get Truck a goal in his farewell game. That and people are forbidden to question the money Eddie's on now.

Great scenes at the end there with Lenny Hayes and Ben Rutten. What a way to end a career for both of them - Hayes getting the all-time tackle record and Rutten finishing with a goal. Top marks to Eddie for offloading to Rutten when he could've gone back and slotted it himself easily.

I'm not going to recognise the Saints without Hayes in the playing list.

I'm amused that, despite trailing Collingwood by 14 points on the ladder, we still managed to only have a 4.4% lower percentage than theirs. So many missed opportunities this season. We lost half a dozen games by two goals or less.

We did manage to keep our noses in front of the Doggies though, which is nice.

Last edited:
They're going to get a lower pick, disappointing for them. :wink:

Much rather see them go out this way - let's see if the damn side can beat someone higher on the ladder than them next year.

Hope Freo win the flag, that third quarter was awesome yesterday. Still carning the Pear against the Tiges - I'm sick of fucking Richmond already and they haven't even done anything.

So Charlotte blew winning the tipping competition by taking a punt on the Gold Coast. Here I was thinking my West Coast pick was a bit risky too! I'm annoyed there isn't finals tipping

And well done GWS, starting and finishing the year with victories and getting four more in between. They'll feel pretty good about that - what an improvement on just one victory last year (though not as many wins as Gold Coast's eight in their third year). It's nice to not have an expansion team in the bottom two, and indicates the competition is starting to even out.

St. Kilda already announced that Gwilt and Jones have been delisted. That was quick.

Was away on a planning weekend for the camp I do. When I checked the scores about 11 last night I fucking screamed for joy. I cannot believe the Tigers did it. I love them and I don't know how anyone can hate them. Did the Swans rest players?

Must have been a bit deflating for West Coast and Adelaide to play today after that but they only have themselves to blame. GWS would have finished on a big high.

And great to see Tomahawk booted a bag for once.

I'd like to be that optimistic about Freo. If Essendon can't do it, I'm right behind Freo for a premiership. Their recent performances have been very good...

My tips for the first week:

Hawthorn
Sydney
Essendon
Port (but I would love to tip Richmond and I won't be shocked if they go to ten in a row)

St. Kilda already announced that Gwilt and Jones have been delisted. That was quick.

Quick indeed! I thought Gwilt was a fairly decent player? Admittedly I've barely seen the Saints play this year.

Was away on a planning weekend for the camp I do. When I checked the scores about 11 last night I fucking screamed for joy. I cannot believe the Tigers did it. I love them and I don't know how anyone can hate them. Did the Swans rest players?

Buddy was a very late out, and a couple of other players with minor niggles weren't risked. Swans did have their eyes on next week, but it's not as if they did what Freo did last year before finals and sent in their reserves.

No Kennedy, McGlynn, Franklin or Pyke. That's a pretty core four to not have in your side. Kennedy was injured a couple of weeks back, but is pretty much ok now. Would probably have been playing if there was something at stake (perhaps there was? A Brownlow perhaps?)

We'll take the win though. Incredible intensity by Richmond, and it was an impressive start slamming 5 goals to nil in the opening 10 minutes.

Surface was atrocious. A shame that next week's final against Fremantle is played at Homebush and not SCG

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Back
Top Bottom