The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BonoManiac said:
Well, I guess we could start thinking of the playoffs now. It looks like the Canadiens will clinch a spot tonight, and move closer to first place in the East.

:rockon:

Ah, le Tricolore - what a game...

Has Detroit clinched a playoff spot yet?

(Maybe the Habs fans should start their own thread since we're so numerous and..enthusiastic!! :wink:)

Re: Re: The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

ladywithspinninghead said:
(Maybe the Habs fans should start their own thread since we're so numerous and..enthusiastic!! :wink:)

yes :rockon:

And yes for Detroit.

Re: Re: Re: The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Yeah, it was looking a little iffy there a month or so ago...:shh:

Not really. It's Detroit, you know they're always going to make it easily. They'll dominate the regular season, then get put out by the eighth seed. :wink:

I think if the Nucks can win tonight and tomorrow, they'll be in great position to take the whole divvy. :hyper:

Of course, figuring out how to score some goals would be nice.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

DaveC said:

Not really. It's Detroit, you know they're always going to make it easily. They'll dominate the regular season, then get put out by the eighth seed. :wink:

I think if the Nucks can win tonight and tomorrow, they'll be in great position to take the whole divvy. :hyper:

I would try and act all :mad: in response to your post but sadly, you're right.

I'd be shocked if they made it past the second round this spring.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

I would try and act all :mad: in response to your post but sadly, you're right.

I'd be shocked if they made it past the second round this spring.

Everyone's saying Nashville's going to take the last spot (they play Columbus twice, St. Louis twice, and Chicago and Detroit once each) thanks to the super-easy schedule, so you'll probably be able to beat them.

I wouldn't be so sure about any opponent from the Northwest though, they're all pretty hot right now and are all making the playoffs (except Edmonton) coming through the toughest division in the league.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

DaveC said:

:hi5:

I totally agree. Too bad the game tonight is PPV, and is right when I'll be running. :angry: If I had a little portable radio player thing, I'd run with that and listen while I'm out.

So if Washington, Buffalo and Florida lose tonight (all very possible considering their opponents 'cept Florida) and Toronto wins vs Boston, they'll be thisclose to making the playoffs.

Can you imagine the Leafs and the Habs playing each other in the first round?? :eek:

Fuck, tonight sucked. :angry:

I only heard most of the 3rd period, but it sounds like the Canucks gave up a 2 goal lead, then had some awful, stupid penalties near the end of the game. :sigh:

Hopefully they'll do better tomorrow.

ThoraSEB said:
Fuck, tonight sucked. :angry:

I only heard most of the 3rd period, but it sounds like the Canucks gave up a 2 goal lead, then had some awful, stupid penalties near the end of the game. :sigh:

Hopefully they'll do better tomorrow.

I watched the game, and you've summed it up pretty much exactly how it went. Need a big win tonight.

ladywithspinninghead said:
So if Washington, Buffalo and Florida lose tonight (all very possible considering their opponents 'cept Florida) and Toronto wins vs Boston, they'll be thisclose to making the playoffs.

Can you imagine the Leafs and the Habs playing each other in the first round?? :eek:

I would love that because we would definitely kick their sad blue and white asses.

Canucks are currently losing 5-2 in the 2nd. I'd say that at this point the season is over for us. This is fucking ridiculous.

I'm listening online, since I don't have the channel that the game is airing on. I'm almost glad I can't see this atrocity.

The radio announcers have been pretty silent in the last few minutes.

The team cannot continue to play like this if they even expect to make it to the playoffs. :sigh:

ThoraSEB said:
Canucks are currently losing 5-2 in the 2nd. I'd say that at this point the season is over for us. This is fucking ridiculous.

I'm listening online, since I don't have the channel that the game is airing on. I'm almost glad I can't see this atrocity.

The radio announcers have been pretty silent in the last few minutes.

The team cannot continue to play like this if they even expect to make it to the playoffs. :sigh:

:huh:

Firstly, it's now 6-3. The Nucks played a shitty first ten minutes of the second and let in three goals, but settled down and got one back before the intermission. Of course, the Avs just got one to start the third. So this game might be gone, unless the Nucks get one in the next 5 minutes. But it's definitely NOT an "atrocity". Yeesh.

And as for "the season is over" - you know the Nucks are 7th right now, right? It's not like they lose and they're out of the playoffs with no chance to get back. Lose this game and the divvy's probably gone, but it's going to take a pretty epic collapse to miss the playoffs entirely at this point.

FYI, it's on TSN - you live in Canada, and if you have basic cable, you've got the game.

Don't be so pessimistic. :shrug:

I tend to be dramatic and over-exaggerate when I watch or listen to hockey. :lol: Give me a bit of time and I'll get over myself. :wink:

I can be pessimistic at times when it comes to the Canucks, because this sort of collapse in good playing often happens when it's most important for them to be playing well. I'm not giving up by any sense of the means, I just hate to seem them play that way, and take stupid penalties.

I have basic cable, but TSN isn't included in that package in my area.

Last edited:
elevated_u2_fan said:

I think April might know something :hmm:

Well, not that I'm any expert, but your team does have to actually show up to more than half of the time during the regular season. :wink:

And for future reference, consider me shocked if they make it past the second round this year. It's been a little like 92-93 all over again. :cute:

Well, not that I'm any expert, but your team does have to actually show up to more than half of the time during the regular season. :wink:

Yeah, but if they play, like, one solid period every, say, 2 or 3 games - that's not GOOD ENOUGH?! What do these people want? Come on!

:shh: Yo, elfa, I have it on good authority that these "play offs" don't really exist. They're just computer simulations - like video games - set up by The Man that owns the TV Stations. I can believe this because in my computer simulations - back from a few years ago - the Islanders were damn near unstoppable. And if they could be stopped, there was this option called "Easy" they could use to come back and still win by like 17 if they chose. So don't believe the hype. It's not real anyhow.

UberBeaver said:

Yeah, but if they play, like, one solid period every, say, 2 or 3 games - that's not GOOD ENOUGH?! What do these people want? Come on!

I think it's pretty much pass/fail. If the NHL had wild cards (or do they, thank you five hundred rule changes in the time I haven't been paying close attention) that might help your and elfa's cause. :hmm:

BonoManiac said:

I certainly hope so!!!! :hyper::dance: :applaud: :dancing: :rockon: :yippie: :pray:

It's funny and ironic when I say it, annoying when others say it. :mad:

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom