The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,899
Local Time: 05:35 AM
The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

Well, I guess we could start thinking of the playoffs now. It looks like the Canadiens will clinch a spot tonight, and move closer to first place in the East.

__________________

__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 03-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ladywithspinninghead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,635
Local Time: 04:35 AM
Re: The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoManiac
Well, I guess we could start thinking of the playoffs now. It looks like the Canadiens will clinch a spot tonight, and move closer to first place in the East.

Ah, le Tricolore - what a game...

Has Detroit clinched a playoff spot yet?


(Maybe the Habs fans should start their own thread since we're so numerous and..enthusiastic!! )
__________________

ladywithspinninghead is offline  
Old 03-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #3
Acrobat
 
pat132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 349
Local Time: 04:35 AM
Re: Re: The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead
(Maybe the Habs fans should start their own thread since we're so numerous and..enthusiastic!! )
yes

And yes for Detroit.
pat132 is offline  
Old 03-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
Acrobat
 
pat132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 349
Local Time: 04:35 AM
Horrible 3rd period At least, we won
pat132 is offline  
Old 03-24-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ladywithspinninghead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,635
Local Time: 04:35 AM
We jinxed it!

I'm sure Murray gave the Sens a verbal beating before the 3rd...
ladywithspinninghead is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 03:35 AM
Re: Re: The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead


Ah, le Tricolore - what a game...

Has Detroit clinched a playoff spot yet?
But of course.






Yeah, it was looking a little iffy there a month or so ago...
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 20,942
Local Time: 04:35 AM
Re: Re: Re: The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

Yeah, it was looking a little iffy there a month or so ago...
Not really. It's Detroit, you know they're always going to make it easily. They'll dominate the regular season, then get put out by the eighth seed.

I think if the Nucks can win tonight and tomorrow, they'll be in great position to take the whole divvy.

Of course, figuring out how to score some goals would be nice.
DaveC is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 03:35 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


Not really. It's Detroit, you know they're always going to make it easily. They'll dominate the regular season, then get put out by the eighth seed.

I think if the Nucks can win tonight and tomorrow, they'll be in great position to take the whole divvy.

Of course, figuring out how to score some goals would be nice.
I would try and act all in response to your post but sadly, you're right.

I'd be shocked if they made it past the second round this spring.
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 20,942
Local Time: 04:35 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel


I would try and act all in response to your post but sadly, you're right.

I'd be shocked if they made it past the second round this spring.
Everyone's saying Nashville's going to take the last spot (they play Columbus twice, St. Louis twice, and Chicago and Detroit once each) thanks to the super-easy schedule, so you'll probably be able to beat them.

I wouldn't be so sure about any opponent from the Northwest though, they're all pretty hot right now and are all making the playoffs (except Edmonton) coming through the toughest division in the league.
DaveC is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Thora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wishing I was on the beach
Posts: 34,116
Local Time: 01:35 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


I think if the Nucks can win tonight and tomorrow, they'll be in great position to take the whole divvy.

Of course, figuring out how to score some goals would be nice.


I totally agree. Too bad the game tonight is PPV, and is right when I'll be running. If I had a little portable radio player thing, I'd run with that and listen while I'm out.
__________________
Insert something interesting here
Thora is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ladywithspinninghead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,635
Local Time: 04:35 AM
So if Washington, Buffalo and Florida lose tonight (all very possible considering their opponents 'cept Florida) and Toronto wins vs Boston, they'll be thisclose to making the playoffs.

Can you imagine the Leafs and the Habs playing each other in the first round??
ladywithspinninghead is offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Thora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wishing I was on the beach
Posts: 34,116
Local Time: 01:35 AM
Fuck, tonight sucked.

I only heard most of the 3rd period, but it sounds like the Canucks gave up a 2 goal lead, then had some awful, stupid penalties near the end of the game.

Hopefully they'll do better tomorrow.
__________________
Insert something interesting here
Thora is offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 03:35 AM
10 more days
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,932
Local Time: 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan
Past experiences still tell me there is a total collapse on the horizon...
wow, big fucking surprise here

fucking Leafs...
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 20,942
Local Time: 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ThoraSEB
Fuck, tonight sucked.

I only heard most of the 3rd period, but it sounds like the Canucks gave up a 2 goal lead, then had some awful, stupid penalties near the end of the game.

Hopefully they'll do better tomorrow.
I watched the game, and you've summed it up pretty much exactly how it went. Need a big win tonight.
DaveC is offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #16
Refugee
 
sniggirb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,136
Local Time: 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead
So if Washington, Buffalo and Florida lose tonight (all very possible considering their opponents 'cept Florida) and Toronto wins vs Boston, they'll be thisclose to making the playoffs.

Can you imagine the Leafs and the Habs playing each other in the first round??
I would love that because we would definitely kick their sad blue and white asses.
sniggirb is offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Thora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wishing I was on the beach
Posts: 34,116
Local Time: 01:35 AM
Canucks are currently losing 5-2 in the 2nd. I'd say that at this point the season is over for us. This is fucking ridiculous.

I'm listening online, since I don't have the channel that the game is airing on. I'm almost glad I can't see this atrocity.

The radio announcers have been pretty silent in the last few minutes.

The team cannot continue to play like this if they even expect to make it to the playoffs.
__________________
Insert something interesting here
Thora is offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 20,942
Local Time: 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ThoraSEB
Canucks are currently losing 5-2 in the 2nd. I'd say that at this point the season is over for us. This is fucking ridiculous.

I'm listening online, since I don't have the channel that the game is airing on. I'm almost glad I can't see this atrocity.

The radio announcers have been pretty silent in the last few minutes.

The team cannot continue to play like this if they even expect to make it to the playoffs.


Firstly, it's now 6-3. The Nucks played a shitty first ten minutes of the second and let in three goals, but settled down and got one back before the intermission. Of course, the Avs just got one to start the third. So this game might be gone, unless the Nucks get one in the next 5 minutes. But it's definitely NOT an "atrocity". Yeesh.

And as for "the season is over" - you know the Nucks are 7th right now, right? It's not like they lose and they're out of the playoffs with no chance to get back. Lose this game and the divvy's probably gone, but it's going to take a pretty epic collapse to miss the playoffs entirely at this point.

FYI, it's on TSN - you live in Canada, and if you have basic cable, you've got the game.

Don't be so pessimistic.
DaveC is offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Thora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wishing I was on the beach
Posts: 34,116
Local Time: 01:35 AM
I tend to be dramatic and over-exaggerate when I watch or listen to hockey. Give me a bit of time and I'll get over myself.

I can be pessimistic at times when it comes to the Canucks, because this sort of collapse in good playing often happens when it's most important for them to be playing well. I'm not giving up by any sense of the means, I just hate to seem them play that way, and take stupid penalties.

I have basic cable, but TSN isn't included in that package in my area.
__________________
Insert something interesting here
Thora is offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #20
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 03:35 AM
So tell me about these "play offs". What happens in them? How does one get there?
__________________

UberBeaver is offline  
 

Tags
hockey, national hockey league, nhl

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×