The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes, but I agree with other posters - Boston deserved it more!

Is it really considered a choke though when you weren't even supposed to make the playoffs?
It's a tad early to be comparing the Habs to the Sens :wink:

I think I'll go for Colorado if Washington and Habs get eliminated...

ladywithspinninghead said:
Yikes, but I agree with other posters - Boston deserved it more!

They really did. Some incredible goals...3 of them were spectacular/highlight material. It's going to be tough for Montreal to take those bastards out. (Don't you just love sports?) :wink: It's so easy to demonize the opposition, and so fun!

I still think Montreal will win, but I had a feeling last night that Price was a little rattled...and that's two games in a row for him. The Canadiens need to step it up for him in game seven, obviously, and it's important to do that not just to win the game, but to give him some confidence for the future. He's in that pivotal time where he could either be the next great goalie or become completely swamped by the expectations.

It's a cliché to be sure, but I think that sometimes you have to learn how to lose before you learn how to win, and this is where Montreal is at. Montreal is a very young team, one of the youngest in the league, so if they lose this series, it will only serve to make them better moving forward.

As I watch the Flyers/Caps and B's/Habs series, I can't help but think the Habs might wish they had Huet in net. I mean, I get the trade, and it might turn out to be the right choice in the end...but right here and right now, heading into a game 7, tell me, Price or Huet?

And how about those pesky Flames? Would love to see a San Jose upset!

BonoManiac said:
It's a cliché to be sure, but I think that sometimes you have to learn how to lose before you learn how to win, and this is where Montreal is at. Montreal is a very young team, one of the youngest in the league, so if they lose this series, it will only serve to make them better moving forward.

I used to say stuff like this, believe me, it gets tiring after the 10th straight year :wink:

I am glad to see Dallas eliminated Anaheim, my prediction for this year:

Dallas Vs Pittsburgh in the final, Dallas wins in 6.

BonoManiac said:
It's a cliché to be sure, but I think that sometimes you have to learn how to lose before you learn how to win, and this is where Montreal is at.

It's a cliché, but I completely admire your eternal optimism. :wink:

Going to be an awesome game tonight! I'm predicting 4-3 Montreal in OT. :corn:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Ozzy fucking rules. :drool:

He really does...so cool, calm, and composed.

CTU2fan said:
As I watch the Flyers/Caps and B's/Habs series, I can't help but think the Habs might wish they had Huet in net. I mean, I get the trade, and it might turn out to be the right choice in the end...but right here and right now, heading into a game 7, tell me, Price or Huet?

I was thinking the same about Huet, but, ultimately, I think Price is the better goalie. Interesting how the ex-Canadien goalies are excelling, however...Theodore is also doing wonders for Colorado.

elevated_u2_fan said:
I am glad to see Dallas eliminated Anaheim, my prediction for this year:

Dallas Vs Pittsburgh in the final, Dallas wins in 6.

That would be an incredible series.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
:wave: Anaheim - fuckers.

Part of me is glad they didn't advance, because I think it would've set a precedent for star players around the league to take half a year off and make a run for the cup at the end. Team chemistry-building starts in September.

I got to watch the Calgary-San Jose game last night at the arena during the second intermission of the 3rd-round Mooseheads game. And again during the overtime intermission. And again during the second overtime intermission. People were getting more into that game than the actual game they had live in front of them.

Which makes sense, cause even though they came back from being down 2-0 in the second intermission, the Moose lost in double overtime for the second straight day (by coughing up the puck - badly - at their own blue line to the league's top scorer, no less) and are now pretty much screwed against Gatineau :angry:

The Globe & Mail is reporting Bergeron might play for the Bruins tonight :no:

But then again, hopefully the end result will be the same as when Alfredsson and Koivu returned (i.e. both losses)

So assuming the Flyers manage to stave off the Caps (I think they will)...my choices are: Habs win, Flyers play the Habs while the Pens host the Rangers, or B's win, Pens host the B's while the Flyers get NYR. Not sure which is better...but I think the Rangers have a better chance at knocking off Pitt so I guess I should root for Montreal.

Edit: Just caught NESN's game 7 preview during the Sox game, highlights set to "The Fly" :up:

Last edited:
BonoManiac said:
Ok, people! I'm going home to watch the game. Almost time for the two greatest words in North American professional team sports: Game 7!!

WOOHOOOOOOO!!! :rockon:

I'm preparing my pre-game meal right now! (Asian Crunch Salad & pizza...it'll give me the necessary stamina in case this baby goes into double overtime!)

If my calculations are correct, this will be the first game 7 in decades where Montreal will be wearing their classic red jerseys at home. (I heard a reporter mention earlier that the last game 7 they played at home was in '93. Factoring in the white-at-home jersey system at that time, coupled with the relatively recent changes in home/away colours, I believe my deduction is correct.) :nerd:

Hopefully Michael Ryder is not sitting out tonight. :pray:

I'm going to miss most of the first period. :sad: I wish I wasn't at work, so I could watch the anthem, etc. I love seeing that in the Habs' building. It gives me goosebumps!

Go Habs! :rockon:

Ok, well, the Caps have forced a game 7 tomorrow night. My immediate reaction is that I would like them to win, for a variety of reasons.

I would prefer that the Candiens play against the Rangers than the Flyers because I think they match-up better. The Flyers would bring an extremely physical game which I think is more difficult for the Habs to counter.

Also, I think that it would be great for hockey to have two Original 6 match-ups in a row, plus a Penguins-Capitals series. That would be wild!

pat132 said:
WHAT A GAME!!! :drool: :rockon: :hyper: :bow:

Nice! Koivu and Kovalev looked great together.

Carey Price is one special player...he seemed to thrive under the pressure, which was enormous! I think I would've shriveled up on the ice.

GO CAPS! Another game seven is pure awesomeness. :drool:

Woohoo, Habs and Caps won! :hyper:

I, too, would like a Washington win tomorrow because Pittsburgh-Washington would be something else but the Habs have beat Philly in all 4 games this year and according to a CBC commentator the Habs are probably playing on Thursday night so the Flyers would be playing 3 straight games!

I can't believe the Habs win is the headline at globeandmail.com right now :lol:

Na na na, na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye!

bos.png

:wave:

Take that, Don.

Gibson Girl, I seemed to recall that not too long ago David Gilmour was a Habs fan. Is Roger Waters a Habs fan, too, or is this yet another thing that they disagree on? I think Waters should be a Habs fan.

I think it's only fair, since it seems from pat132 that Bono is a Habs fan, too!

I used a bit of reverse psychology prior to tonights game. In that I would root for the Bruins.. or say that I would root for the Bruins to scare the Habs into winning.

Yep.

And I don't think I can ever get tired of hearing Vertigo :wink:

Carey Price. I'm sorry about all the expletives I've lobbed your way the last few games.. His performance tonights was infarkingcredible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom