The 2008 NFL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats D is weak.

I don't know if I'd call the entire defense weak, but the secondary is a concern. If not for a few drops of catchable balls the Chiefs at least force that game to OT yesterday.

When you are behind by a lot, a defense can defend against the big play the rest of the game. They'll give you short stuff. Most teams don't have the focus to take the short routes and move the ball down the field. The Mannings do. If the Colts receivers minus Harrison would have caught the balls they dropped, the Colts would have blown the Pats out. When Eli got his shot in week 17 and the Super Bowl, he was very effective against them. It was the fear that Brady could blow open the game that hurt opposing offenses. The Pats D is weak.

I disagree.

The Pats have always had a defense that gives up yards, but not points. Just because the offense was blowing people out last year did not make them any worse. It was just a different scenario to work in. Look at the past few years before 2007 and you'll see how effective they were. I believe with the way the offense will be more limited this year, that the defense will come up big again. It won't be enough to win as many games as last year, but I think they'll do ok.

I don't know if I'd call the entire defense weak, but the secondary is a concern. If not for a few drops of catchable balls the Chiefs at least force that game to OT yesterday.

The Pats can create some good pass rush at critical times. The linebackers and secondary could get burned by the tight ends and wideouts they face this season. That Oakland game could be very brutal with Justin Fargas and Darren McFadden.

Meow

The linebackers and secondary could get burned by the tight ends and wideouts they face this season. That Oakland game could be very brutal with Justin Fargas and Darren McFadden.
OK, your posts are getting more and more perplexing (and who thought that possible?)...

You state that the Pats can get burned by TE's and WR's and use Oakland's 2 RB's as your example.

Were you giddy to see the retractable roof last night in Indy?

If you are one of the best quarterbacks ever, I don't see how without you a team can still make the playoffs. I do think Brady is one of the best ever which is why I think this team will lose so much. Brady, like Manning was doing a few years ago, covers for a weak defense by destroying teams on offense. They lose that with him gone.

You really think that the Colts would be 5-11 without Manning in any of the previous 5 years?

The Pats can create some good pass rush at critical times. The linebackers and secondary could get burned by the tight ends and wideouts they face this season. That Oakland game could be very brutal with Justin Fargas and Darren McFadden.

The problem with this logic is that Oakland's passing game with Jamarcus Russell is weak thus far, so the defense will be concentrating on the running game and stuffing the box. So this isn't exactly a good example to use.

if you wanted to make the argument that the pats defense is old, thus it wore down at the season went along, and that you don't think they did enough to shore up this age issue and will have a step back from last season... yes, i may agree with you.

but to call them weak is, well, weak. they had a very good defense last year, certainly one of the 10 best in the league, and will likely be similar this year, although i would not be stunned if they fell back to the middle of the pack defensively this season... which would make them "average," certainly not "weak."

If you are one of the best quarterbacks ever, I don't see how without you a team can still make the playoffs.

Maybe this team, hypothetically, has other good players too?

Maybe they have a good offensive line that can make the replacement QB look better than he actually is?

Maybe they have Randy Moss?

Patriots are still a 10-6 team.

Maybe this team, hypothetically, has other good players too?

Maybe they have a good offensive line that can make the replacement QB look better than he actually is?

Maybe they have Randy Moss?

Patriots are still a 10-6 team.

Exactly. Plus the Pats' schedule is relatively easy. They play the Dolphins twice, and the NFC West. The Jets aren't an easy win anymore, but they can win at least one of their two meetings.

The Patriots are an average team at best without Brady. I will be shocked if they go over nine wins this season now. The only reason they still might make the playoffs is the division they're in sucks. Put 'em in the NFC East, and they would be fighting with the Redskins for last place.

I know I've said in the past that I wished Brady would get hurt, but now that it's actually happened I feel awful for the guy (and for wishing injury on him). Hopefully he recovers and gets back to form in time for next season. I have a feeling the league won't be quite as exciting without Brady-to-Moss.

Why any sports fan would wish injury on any athlete boggles my mind.

I was doing so before I turned 20, in my defense. We all do stupid shit from time to time as teenagers. The important thing is that he rehabs his knee properly so he doesn't end up pulling a Culpepper.

I was doing so before I turned 20, in my defense. We all do stupid shit from time to time as teenagers. The important thing is that he rehabs his knee properly so he doesn't end up pulling a Culpepper.

It goes without saying that his return to health is what's important. I of all people need not be reminded of that.

Was just wondering why you or anyone else would wish harm on an athlete. Now I know your reason for doing so.

You're making me sound like I was a douche :madwife:

Although when I was 19, I probably was.

:hi5:

I'm not even trying to, I promise!

At the bar where I watched the Steeler game, 1/2 the crowd cheered when they showed the Brady injury.....I just shook my head in disgust at that.....and, everyone in there was over 21, M I RITE???

If 16-0 didn't happen, I would probably be a lot more douchey than I am now. I gained a whole new respect for Brady's ability last year.

If 16-0 didn't happen, I would probably be a lot more douchey than I am now. I gained a whole new respect for Brady's ability last year.

It's interesting how his SB rings did not earn your respect, but that did.

Why do you think that 16-0 impressed you that much? Cos it was unprecedented?

It's interesting how his SB rings did not earn your respect, but that did.

Why do you think that 16-0 impressed you that much? Cos it was unprecedented?

I'm not sure. Maybe I matured last year and got past the grudge I held against the Pats for the '04 Super Bowl. I have never seen a season in which a QB dominated EVERYONE quite so much as Brady did last year. I guess part of me always thought he was overrated, but I never took into account the fact that he never had a truly elite WR in the previous years. Once I saw what he could do with someone like Moss, I probably subconsciously said to myself, "alright, turns out the man can actually play some decent ball."

But don't get me wrong, I was cheering as loud as anyone in the bar when The Catch happened.

I never felt any sort of dislike for the Pats. Not even after Spygate. I just didn't.

Brady has a few, thanks for playing.

Don't get me wrong, Brady has always had my respect. I think he's the greatest quarterback of this decade, and it will be difficult for QBs of future decades to top his accomplishments. However, I don't measure QBs by their rings; I measure teams by their rings. Brady's 2007 stats are enough to almost instantly rank him among the great QBs to ever play in this league...that's probably why Dave was finally won over.

Don't get me wrong, Brady has always had my respect. I think he's the greatest quarterback of this decade, and it will be difficult for QBs of future decades to top his accomplishments. However, I don't measure QBs by their rings; I measure teams by their rings. Brady's 2007 stats are enough to almost instantly rank him among the great QBs to ever play in this league...that's probably why Dave was finally won over.

I forgot, you measure QB's by their rating.

:doh:

:)

Dave can speak for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom