The 2008 MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the O's guy would be less pissy if the O's could muster up a .500 record one of these seasons. Oh, and it would please him if the owner was not incompetent at running a baseball team. The allure of Camen Yards only gets you so far....after a while, if you don't put a competitive team on the field, seats go unclaimed, and of course Sox and Yankee fans are going to gobble those tickets up and make the relatively short trip down 95 to Camden. Manny is a hitting savant and not quite as bad a fielder as he's made out to be. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer and the best hitter I've ever seen in my life.
:sigh:

It bugs me when the O's (and Rays) people complain about this. I bet ownership doesn't mind taking Sox and Yankees fans' money when they buy tickets.

A few teams have "smartened up" to the whole "Red Sox Nation" thing. Cincy is a good example. The Sox will play three games in Cincy mid-June. The only way to get tickets (well, besides being related to Youkilis) is to purchase a four game (or more) package. We ended up buying a 13 game package, and that allowed us to purchase additional tickets to the Red Sox games. My extras will go to in-laws (A.K.A. - Red Sox Nationals).

Speaking of the 13 games, nice game a GABP today. I hope Jay Bruce lives up to the hype. He has so far.

^ That what the White Sock do as well. Cub/Sock tickets are not available as single game sales. You have to buy a package to get them.

Oh yeah, Ozzie threw Kenny Williams and Greg Walker (hitting coach) under the bus today with his post game comments. :doh:

My Sock can't get a clutch hit to save their lives. :tsk:

Perhaps they should swing these instead of bats:

buzz_saw_cam01.jpg50793541-36c8-4ac4-acb4-29c70dee1c2bLarge.jpg

i've grown tired of ozzie guillen's act.

as for manny... anyone who thinks the guy's not a first ballot lock hall of famer is nuts. the man is an absolute beast. is the best RBI guy any of us have ever seen (except for zoney who saw babe ruth in his prime)... and david ortiz would be a nice player without manny hitting behind him.

sure, his fielding isn't great. but he's still out there, ain't he? in a time when guys can be all stars without ever taking the field (like the guy who bats in front of him) you can't really hate on a guy who goes out there night in and night out.

Ozzie rocks. A breath of fresh air in major league baseball.

The scary thing about our White Sox is that we haven't even BEGUN to swing the bats...

And we're still in first place.

When Konerko, Thome, and Swisher get locked in....

LOOK OUT!

(We also have two of the most naturally gifted young ballplayers we've had in a while in Alexei Ramirez and Carlos Quentin.)

Maybe his first season or two, but definitely not now. His act has grown pretty stale. It seems like he's always blowing up over something.

I'll take a Sweet Lou tirade over ozzie's anyday of the week.

if pinella managed the mets they'd have a 2007 nl east championship banner hanging (er painted on a wall?) next to the 2006 one, and perhaps a world series one, too.

and that's not a shot at willie... i just think pinella is the best manager in all of baseball.

as for manny... anyone who thinks the guy's not a first ballot lock hall of famer is nuts. the man is an absolute beast. is the best RBI guy any of us have ever seen (except for zoney who saw babe ruth in his prime)... and david ortiz would be a nice player without manny hitting behind him.

sure, his fielding isn't great. but he's still out there, ain't he? in a time when guys can be all stars without ever taking the field (like the guy who bats in front of him) you can't really hate on a guy who goes out there night in and night out.

I saw a graphic where Manny has the 4th highest lifetime average among the 500 HR club...behind Ruth, Foxx, and Teddy. Not to mention the RBIs. And you're right about the defense...if he literally couldn't play in the field then Ortiz would have to, and I'm not sure his body could take it. Manny at least gets out there, and he's probably better than he's given credit for (not that that's saying much, but he is).

David Ortiz out for a month, possibly the season.

Not good times. Bad times.

If it's only a month, and he heals up fine, then I think they're just fine. They get a chance to DH Manny some and rest those troublesome hammies, they get a very good defensive OF with Manny at DH, and they also have a chance to get some other guys a blow by using them at DH (Lowell, Youk). My worry is, it's a wrist, and they can linger. Guys can have trouble healing and retaining their power.

this is about the 9 millionth time i've watched the story of the '86 mets on SNY and even though i was 5 going on 6 at the time it happened, i still get the goosebumps every single time.

I've seen it a few times. That was really a classic series but the Sox throwing up all over themselves kinda overshadows everything else. I was 15 at the time and I was really too young to have really understood how bad '78 was, so my first dose of Sox misery was that series. So basically, it's game 6, 10th inning, Sox up 5-3 and I'm like Bambi prancing through the woods before Mom gets shot. I'm sitting there like "ooh the Sox are going to win the WS, ooh ooh ooh" and then the hits are coming and I'm like "what the hell" and then the wild pitch, and Mookie's grounder, and presto I'm Bambi after Mom gets shot. Ugh.

I've seen it a few times. That was really a classic series but the Sox throwing up all over themselves kinda overshadows everything else. I was 15 at the time and I was really too young to have really understood how bad '78 was, so my first dose of Sox misery was that series. So basically, it's game 6, 10th inning, Sox up 5-3 and I'm like Bambi prancing through the woods before Mom gets shot. I'm sitting there like "ooh the Sox are going to win the WS, ooh ooh ooh" and then the hits are coming and I'm like "what the hell" and then the wild pitch, and Mookie's grounder, and presto I'm Bambi after Mom gets shot. Ugh.

the video clip they show of buckner, before the world series began mind you, stating that "the dream is that you get the hit to win it all, and the nightmares are that you let the winning run go through your legs" is a classic "ooooooo no he really didn't say that did he?" moment.

the 86 mets are iconic figures... probably why we met fans are so hard on this current team so much, as they're about the polar opposites, personality wise, of that 86 team.

i think billy wagner & pedro would be the only guys who's personality would fit right in with the '86 team... while gary carter could probably fit in well with this team, he of the uber douche "look at me i'm so pretty and awesome personality." great player, though.

the 86 mets were very similar to the '04 red sox, i must say... at least personality wise.

The Fall of 1986 was, easily, the worst sports related time of my life. I was 15, so, thsi was close to the height of my sports dork-dom. So, what could be more fun for a Yankees fan than having the Mets take on the Sox in the World Series. I had no idea what to do, where to go, how to react, etc. You know how when you have no rooting interest in a game, then you sit down to watch it and you eventually realize who you're rooting for? That never really happened in 1986. The only joy I got was having one team think they were about to win, only to lose.

Oh, and I'll say it again:

Manny Ramirez is the best hitter I've ever seen. SI did an article on him a few years ago, and broke down his splits....home, road, grass, turf, LF or RF, Cleveland or Boston, Day or Night game, you name it....he was a career .300 hitter for all of them. Amazing.

it's between him and bonds for me. i've never actually seen ramirez live and in person. have seen bonds on multiple occasions... saw him take BP once also.

but bonds of course is a dirty word these days, so yea.

I, maybe unfairly, disqualify Bonds due to the steroids crap. But if we ignore that, then yes, he and Manny are 1 and 1A. There was a stretch of time there where it literally felt like Barry was going to Homer every at-bat.

The Fall of 1986 was, easily, the worst sports related time of my life. I was 15, so, thsi was close to the height of my sports dork-dom. So, what could be more fun for a Yankees fan than having the Mets take on the Sox in the World Series. I had no idea what to do, where to go, how to react, etc. You know how when you have no rooting interest in a game, then you sit down to watch it and you eventually realize who you're rooting for? That never really happened in 1986. The only joy I got was having one team think they were about to win, only to lose.

1986 sucked balls.

I know he's on a strict pitch count and all, but I'm pretty sure the Yankees wanted more than 2.1 innings out of Joba in his first start.

Yup, they did. His command was horrid. Hopefully it was just nerves. His stuff, though, is really good.

Joba came in for two relief appearances against the White Sox earlier this year and let me tell you...his stuff is NASTY. Just gross. One of the better young arms I've seen in a while.

He'll be fine as a starter.

Oh, and no-one has any interest in discussing the walking asshole that is Chase Utley.

i completely forgot about joba starting tonight. 2 and 1/3rd? well done.

i felt it was appropriate that joba's 8th inning replacement blew last night's game, though. still think it's a terrible decision to move him to a starter. i suppose they could always move him back if it doesn't go well, but would he really go for that?

to put on my hubie brown voice for a second... here you have a guy who clearly has the makeup and moxie to replace the legend that is mariano rivera, who i guess some in yankeeland have forgotten was the most important part of the late 90's championship run.

was also a wise choice to start him against roy halladay, who if the game went 14 innings might just pitch all 14 of 'em.

lastly... as i have just flipped yes on... i'd just like to add that gary cohen shits on michael kay any day of the week.

stud, would love to have him on my team, best second baseman in baseball, won't keep up this homerun pace.

Agree on all accounts. He's my favorite Phillies player of the last decade, that's for sure.

I don't know what to think about the Yankees anymore, to be honest. I agree that Joba would do well to take Mariano's place once he's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom