The 2008 MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: newbie

the tourist said:

Oh, I guess I got you confused with zonelistener. Woops.

same person...

Welcome to interference! ;)

and to Hewson, this is TOTALLY different than U2kitten!

Back on topic, the Mariners problem is hitting. What the Mariners need to do is bench Johjima while he's sucking and start Clement (young talented hitting catcher) everyday, bench Sexson since he's the most useless dreg to a team this side of the Philadelphia, bench Vidro (as an "average" hitter, he shouldn't be batting under .200), move Raul Ibanez from left field to first base. Then we need to make some sort of a trade (Cha Seung Baek, Jeremy Reed, and someone from double-A) for Griffey for left field. Then we need to lay our pride aside and pick up one Barry Bonds.

With left-handed power sandwiching Adrian Beltre, he'd see many more decent pitches (as he's currently our most threatening hitter), and if we put a young, talented Wladimir Balentien in front of the other left-handed power hitter, he'd get the Alex Rodriguez coddle-special (when Alex came up he saw tons of fat pitches because he was batting in front of Griffey).

Oh, and fire John McLaren and replace him with Sam Perlozzo.\

The lineup would then look like this:

CF: Ichiro
RF: Balentien
LF: Griffey
3B: Beltre
DH: Bonds
1B: Ibanez
2B: Lopez
C: Clement/Johjima
SS: Betancourt

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
seattle's problem is that, aside from hernandez and bedard, they aren't very good.

Wrong: it's their hitting that's keeping them back (in one-run games, they're 1-8, and they're currently only scoring 4.1 runs per game, and giving up only 4.3 runs per game). One power bat in the lineup could change that.

zoney! said:

I just want to make sure this quote from April 6 gets quoted for the whole season...and maybe into future seasons!

BUZZSAW, guys. Buzzsaw!

Haha hell yeah!!!!

The Chicago BuzzzzzzzzzzzzzSawks

okay fine... their hitting sucks. other than that they're phenomenal.

Still not correct. They have some really good hitters in the lineup. They just need a power threat, which they don't currently have. One could argue Richie Sexson is one--about as much as one could argue Carlos Delgado and Jason Giambi are power threats.

the tourist said:

Still not correct. They have some really good hitters in the lineup. They just need a power threat, which they don't currently have. One could argue Richie Sexson is one--about as much as one could argue Carlos Delgado and Jason Giambi are power threats.

13th out of 14 AL teams in OBP isn't so hot...

speedracer said:

13th out of 14 AL teams in OBP isn't so hot...

Which is one reason why we let Brad Wilkerson go. Kenji Johjima's playing like he's not trying. And Ichiro starts in a slump every year. However, Beltre, Betancourt, Lopez, and Ibanez are all batting right around .290. And I've got pretty good hopes for Clement (the guy whose replacing the dud known as Vidro) and Balentien.

EDIT: I haven't watched the stats of the past 3 games, but I just saw Betancourt and Beltre are in the .270s, and that Ichiro's risen into the .270s. Anyway, my point still stands--they've lost 8 one-run games where the threat of power could've added a couple extra hittable pitches.

Last edited:
I know that some of you guys who live up in that area are witness to the intensity of the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry, but.....living down here in central Illinois you will see some seriously crazy shit go down when it comes to Cardinals/Cubs.

I feel that is the second best rivalry in baseball, easily. It's insane.

Being a White Sox fan, it's a hell of a lot of fun every year to watch the dumbass Cardinals and Cubs fans go at it every year. :up:

Last edited:
GirlsAloudFan said:

I feel that is the second best rivalry in baseball, easily.

Having lived both in the NYC area, as well as exactly were you live, I can tell you that the Cubs/Cards rivalry is not nearly as intense as the Sox/yankees. But, as you have said, it is number two in baseball and it is a great rivalry!

CTU2fan said:
If I was Seattle I'd inquire on Bonds...

Exactly. :yes:

ok so seattle is a phenomenal team, they just can't pitch past their top two guys, their closer hasn't pitched in a month, and their hitting is mediocre at best because they don't have a legit RBI threat. other than that, they're like the 61 yanks.

3-5 starters all have ERA's below 5. Silva's been amazing except for one rocky start. :shrug: Like I've said time and time again, Seattle is 1-8 in 1-run games. Even if they'd won half of those losses, that wouldn't make them an amazing team. That would make them an average team. Their hitting is what is lacking.

Anyway, I'm tired of your condescending remarks. It's more than obvious that no one on this forum gives a shit about any west coast team that's not from LA.

the tourist said:

It's more than obvious that no one on this forum gives a shit about any west coast team that's not from LA.
Thats life in the ESPN world.
If it weren't for Posh Soccer Player, LA would get ignored too.

Hewson said:
Thats life in the ESPN world.
If it weren't for Posh Soccer Player, LA would get ignored too.

It's also bullshit. Maybe we should decrease the MLB down to the 8 teams anyone really cares about, right?

the tourist said:
no one on this forum gives a shit about any west coast team that's not from LA.

Well that's not exactly true...nobody gives a shit about any LA teams either except when Escobar lets Lackey play on the computer :wink:

The M's problems are inherently fixable, because IMO they're pretty strong up the middle. Corner bats are generally the cheapest to acquire...they need to make a decision on Sexson, cut their losses on Vidro, and move forward.

CTU2fan said:

Corner bats are generally the cheapest to acquire...they need to make a decision on Sexson, cut their losses on Vidro, and move forward.

Corner bats may be among the cheapest but it's unlikely the Mariners will find a decent one on the market without trading top players/prospects. During a given season, the corner bats you'll find on the market are the Shea Hillenbrands, Wilkersons, and Shane Halters of the world. Retreads at the end of their careers.

the tourist, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the "disrespect" you're getting for the Mariners here. Keep in mind that the teams in the major markets in the east (and midwest, for that matter) have been around forever, have established a history and tradition and are located in cities where people strongly identify with those teams.

In L.A., we're at the beach while they're watching baseball in NYC and we're snowboarding while they're watching football (and shoveling snow off the drive).

In Seattle, you're always at Starbucks...and shit. :wink: Just kidding. The Mariners are a good organization but they have a not-so-good manager. I'm sure they'll be competetive all season.

CTU2fan said:

Well that's not exactly true...nobody gives a shit about any LA teams either except when Escobar lets Lackey play on the computer :wink:

Oh mannnn, what's up with that, dawg?

Where's the love for the Lackster? :wink:

Meh, I'll get over it, dawg. We're actually playing better at Fenway since the 2nd half of last season*. But let's wait till you actually face a healthy Angels team in the playoffs, then we'll talk. :wink:

*Not counting the '07 ALDS where our entire starting outfield and our first and third basemen were injured/diseased.

the tourist said:

Exactly. :yes:

3-5 starters all have ERA's below 5. Silva's been amazing except for one rocky start. :shrug: Like I've said time and time again, Seattle is 1-8 in 1-run games. Even if they'd won half of those losses, that wouldn't make them an amazing team. That would make them an average team. Their hitting is what is lacking.

Anyway, I'm tired of your condescending remarks. It's more than obvious that no one on this forum gives a shit about any west coast team that's not from LA.

look, i don't think seattle is very good. everytime i say that, you tell me that i'm wrong, but never really giving a reason as to why i'm wrong. if their hitting isn't good, then their team isn't very good.

seattle has had one winning season in the past 5 years. that might be a reason why no one gives a shit about them. no one gives a shit about the marlins, either.

p.s. - if you care to look back to page 1, i actualy picked the mariners to win the AL West. i thought they had enough to win the division, right now i think i was wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom