The 2008 MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
speedracer said:

Seriously, Scott Boras has to be really proud of himself -- he really is a genius.

But is he smarter than Alex Cora?

We could go a little more old-school...the numbers weren't as big then but the Jack Clark and Matt Young deals were pretty ghastly. Oh yeah, and Mike Lansing.

Great performance from Lester tonight. Lets hope can string a few good outings together and that the bats wake up pretty soon.

randhail said:
Great performance from Lester tonight. Lets hope can string a few good outings together and that the bats wake up pretty soon.

Anybody catch Roy Halladay's reaction after Vernon Wells booted the game-winning hit (preventing him from having a shot at throwing out David Ortiz at home)? Dude looked like he was going to murder somebody.

Halladay comes across as kind of grumpy sometimes...of course pitching complete-game gems and losing will do that. I'd love him on the Sox, he pitches a crapload of innings and keeps you in the game, a reliable guy which is rare these days.

Wow, that turd-pile sitting on Roger Clemens' legacy just gets bigger and bigger.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i really hope whoever's in front of me in fantasy had oliver perez starting today... so at least some good can come of it.

and that would be me, good thing only 2 of those 7 runs were earned.

So is Ross Ohlendorf going to be the next Yankees relief pitcher to have his last name turn into a verb? (cf. "Quantrilled", "Sturtzed", "Proctored")

Last edited:
speedracer said:
So is Ross Ohlendorf going to be the next Yankees relief pitcher to have his last name turn into a verb? (cf. "Quantrilled", "Sturtzed", "Proctored")

You forgot "Flashed". Shouldn't be a problem, the whole "run out your setup man until his arm falls off" was a Torre thing I think. But to be fair he really didn't do that until he got stuck with only 1 reliable reliever every year...in the glory days of Stanton, Nelson, and the Embedded One you didn't see nearly as much bullpen abuse.

OK here we go again, now Rocket apparently was tagging John Daly's wife. WTF Roger...keep that thing on a leach will ya?

And to think that Jose Canseco said in his book that Roger always remained faithful to Debbie. Maybe Jose's word isn't gospel afterall.

It's open season on Roger:

Bostonherald.com - The wife of retired pro-wrestler “Brutus ‘The Barber’ Beefcake” claims accused baseball bad boy Roger Clemens made a pass at her 18 years ago, but the married Red Sox [ team stats] ace never reached first base. Barbara Leslie, 43, of Winchester - then a comely waitress at the celeb-magnet Palace nightclub in Saugus - claims that in her brush with the Rocket, he said, “ ‘What would you do if I tried to kiss you?’ ” and she replied, “ ‘What would your wife say if you tried to kiss me? ” Leslie, who hadn’t yet met her husband of 15 years, Edward Leslie, was fetching drinks in lifeguard shorts and a tank top at the Palace when, she says, Clemens happened by with a pal in 1990. “People were going, ‘Roger Clemens is here, Roger Clemens is here!’ ” she said. “Being a big sports personality in Boston, all the waitresses wanted to wait on him. He definitely didn’t act like a man who was married, though.” Leslie said Clemens had been in the club about an hour and she admits to flirting with him until he allegedly followed her into a dressing room off-limits to the public, leaned into her and made the clumsy, rebuffed overture. “Back then, it was a compliment to have someone like Roger Clemens think you’re pretty, and I’m a huge Red Sox fan,” said Leslie, “but the next day, I was totally grossed out.” “I gotta tell you, he wasn’t that great a tipper,” Leslie said. “As I recall, he didn’t even take his money out.”

...Miguel Batista, no-hitter through 3.1 innings, with 6 k's....

EDIT: Shit. I jinxed him.

Who woulda thunk that the Sox and Rays would be playing for first place in May?

The bats need to wake up soon. Going against Tampa used to be the sure fire cure, but who knows now. I wonder if we're seeing the effects of the trip to Japan now? They had to be going on some adrenaline and excitement between starting the season, getting the rings, etc. Now the grind has set in and caused some delayed-onset fatigue.

randhail said:
No hitter through 3.1 innings? Whoop-di-freakin'-do.

Bedard had one through 5 the other day.... It's kinda of shocking to see Seattle starting pitching doing so well. Gimme a break, ok?

That said, I'm ready to put Putz back on the DL as he's obviously still hurt.

All I'm saying is that it's not a big deal for a pitcher to not give up a hit for the first few innings. I would say it happens fairly frequently. MLB doesn't send out "no hitter in progress" notices until 6 innings are in the book. Nothing personal about it.

randhail said:
All I'm saying is that it's not a big deal for a pitcher to not give up a hit for the first few innings. I would say it happens fairly frequently. MLB doesn't send out "no hitter in progress" notices until 6 innings are in the book. Nothing personal about it.

He still pitched an amazing game. Usually when a pitcher has a start like that, they pitch a really good game. That's all that really matters, right? Basically, I was saying "Holy shit, a Mariners starter is doing well!"

Looks like the Tigers are putting that shit-ass start behind them, almost to .500. I still think they'll have a tough time winning with that 'pen, but they'll win their share and be fun to watch anyway.

Hewson said:
How is "the best closer in baseball" working out for ya now that he's back from injury?

I'm waiting for the report that they're doing an MRI on him. 92 mph from a guy who normally throws 98 is NOT a healthy pitcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom