The 2007 NHL Playoffs thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ladywithspinninghead said:
I can't believe it but there are tickets still available for the upcoming Ottawa-Buffalo game :shocked:
I'd stand no chance in Montreal or T.O.

I don't think Hockeytown has sold out a playoff game yet.:ohmy:

8-4 record so far, last year I was 10-5 so I gotta go no worse than 2-1 the rest of the way.

I expect a Buffalo/Anaheim final. I can't pick Ottawa to win the Cup until I see them huddled around the Cup at centre ice. Then I will admit that Ottawa can win the Stanley Cup, too many collapses in the recent past. This was my expected matchup since the playoffs started although I didn't post it here.

Speaking of the Stanley Cup, isn't that the greatest championship trophy in sport by far. Nothing else comes close to it. It's beautiful, wears its history, can be carried around and lifted over your head and look cool, and the public gets to touch it during the summer when it visits your town.

I however would never lift it over my head or drink from it, even if Ryan Cleary offered it to me. There are some things which are earned and holier than holy. A friend of mine met Russ Howard and put on the Olympic gold medal he (Russ) won in curling. Uh, no, the only people who should put an Olympic medal around their necks are the athetes. I would hold it but never wear it, just my own personal ethics.:wink:

trevster2k said:

Speaking of the Stanley Cup, isn't that the greatest championship trophy in sport by far. Nothing else comes close to it. It's beautiful, wears its history, can be carried around and lifted over your head and look cool, and the public gets to touch it during the summer when it visits your town.

:up:

I love The Cup, and all that it represents :drool:

I actually had the privilege to touch it in person a few years ago when it was on tour. I was so excited, I actually started trembling :wink: You should see the "official" picture of me that I bought...I look like a proud father, almost crying. It's pretty sad, actually!

It was such a touching moment last week when the Canadian troops took the cup to Afghanistan. They had a ball hockey tournament in the desert, along with some ex-NHLers, with Stanley up for symbolic grabs. It was all done under the leadership of Rick Hillier, yet another Newfoundlander :wink:

trevster2k said:

I don't think Hockeytown has sold out a playoff game yet.:ohmy:

If by hockeytown you mean Ottawa (although Detroit calls itself that!), then yes, there have been sold out games in the playoffs...but this is the conference finals! It's still surprising!

If by hockeytown you mean Ottawa (although Detroit calls itself that!), then yes, there have been sold out games in the playoffs...but this is the conference finals! It's still surprising!

Umm, sorry, HOCKEYTOWN is in Detroit. They even paint it on centre ice and Ottawa are the new kids so they can't claim it. If they are, somebody better come up with something different. It's a good thing Detroit isn't going to Ottawa this year for the finals otherwise it could get nasty.:wink:

But after all this time trying to get to the conference finals, I would think Ottawa would have sold out instantly. I think Detroit fans might be spoiled and are waiting for the finals.

detroit has one of, if not the longest sellout streak in the entire nhl.

the empty seats you're seeing are those by the corporate community who've purchased loads of season tickets, but fail to show up for many of the games. they've historically had trouble with this... but make no mistake, you can't buy a seat at the joe louis arena.

Zoomerang96 said:
detroit has one of, if not the longest sellout streak in the entire nhl.

the empty seats you're seeing are those by the corporate community who've purchased loads of season tickets, but fail to show up for many of the games. they've historically had trouble with this... but make no mistake, you can't buy a seat at the joe louis arena.

Not according to WDIV

http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/13205310/detail.html

or this site

http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/28/where-are-all-the-red-wings-fans/

or this message forum

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/5/100946.html?1178048415

All attributing the reduction to various reasons including depressed economy, over-priced tickets and competition from two other successful franchises, Pistons and Tigers.

UberBeaver said:
My Predictions:
Buffalo (YES)
Pittsburgh (NO)
Devils (YES)
Rangers (YES)

Vancouver (YES)
Flames (NO)
Minnesota (NO)
San Jose (YES)

I got 5 of 8. I had Buffalo over Vancouver in the Final, so that's still a posibillity.

Round 2:
Buffalo in 6
Devils in 6

Van in 7
SJ in 6

I got everything wrong but Buffalo. Thank God I don't gamble.

Buffalo over Sens in 6.
Ana over Detroit in 7.

trevster2k said:

Umm, sorry, HOCKEYTOWN is in Detroit. They even paint it on centre ice and Ottawa are the new kids so they can't claim it. If they are, somebody better come up with something different. It's a good thing Detroit isn't going to Ottawa this year for the finals otherwise it could get nasty.:wink:

We'll see about that. :wink:

I saw the Cup in person when it came around during the 97 playoffs. :drool: I have my picture with it somewhere.

A friend of mine actually was at a bar one night when the owner got a call that it was coming. He showed me his pictures with it, pretty cool. :yes:

trevster2k said:

haha, no, Ottawa isn't claiming to be hockeytown - you wrote that while discussing the Sens and I misunderstood, my bad....

Corporate, empty seats? Sounds like ACC!

And I can't believe all of you are predicting Buffalo over Ottawa! Didn't y'all learn when you got it wrong with Pittsburgh? And then again with New Jersey?? Huh? :wink:

I can't wait til tomorrow night :drool:

Last edited:
And I can't believe all of you are predicting Buffalo over Ottawa! Didn't y'all learn when you got it wrong with Pittsburgh?

I'm a very slow learner when it comes to realizing Ottawa's greatness :wink:

I'll give them this: their fans are certainly a loyal bunch, and they really could claim that Hockeytown title from Detroit at the moment...although the Sabres are also making a stab at that with all of the hoopla around their team.

Detroit's sales may or may not be soft, but they're just past the second round in the playoffs! Their fans are absolutely spoiled with the team's routine brilliance over the past decade. Trust me, once things heat up in the Anaheim series, that building will be filled to the brim with bums. Just like Ottawa's dressing room :wink:

The Sabres' fans will be giving Emery a hard time tonight because there's a lot of mock outrage in Buffalo after he said he would have preferred playing the Rangers as there would have at least been things to do in NYC during their off days :lol:

The Sabres' fans will be giving Emery a hard time tonight because there's a lot of mock outrage in Buffalo after he said he would have preferred playing the Rangers as there would have at least been things to do in NYC during their off days :lol:

HAHA> I really like Emory.

I'm pulling for Buffalo, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Sens take the cup either. So long as it's not Anaheim, I'm fine with whoever wins.

I gotta give props to Ottawa for making Buffalo look like a wannabe team. Buffalo has got some huge problems if they lose this game. It could be a sweep. I still won't pick them to win the Cup though.:wink:

BTW, I would love to see a Canadian team win the Cup since it has been a long time since '93. I am not an Ottawa fan and won't pretend to be. Plus they still have to prove they can win it by winning it.:D

RavenBlue said:
Alfredsson is amazing, I find. I love watching that guy play. I hope the Sens can continue their dominance!

Absolutely.He's reason enough to want them to win. He certainly deserves it.

This game is giving me an ulcer, I kid you not...:slant:

Here is a Harry Neale prediction:

If Ottawa wins this game, Buffalo is in big trouble. But if Buffalo wins this game, they are still in the series.

Thanks Harry for your years of hockey knowledge, you doofus.

toast.jpg

Who am I?

trevster2k said:
Here is a Harry Neale prediction:

If Ottawa wins this game, Buffalo is in big trouble. But if Buffalo wins this game, they are still in the series.

Thanks Harry for your years of hockey knowledge, you doofus.

Yeah, I was going to post something on Harry after the game but I fell asleep :wink:

Anyway, I was always rather oblivious to talk about Bob Cole and Harry Neale being "homers", i.e. rooting for Toronto over virtually any other team.

I realize that Neale lives in Buffalo and when he was describing Ottawa's winning goal you could tell in his voice that he was disappointed. He sounded almost comatose, well, more than usual anyway!:wink:

Oh yes, I think he basically admitted in the last game (Game 1 vs Buffalo) he was a Sabres fan when he said he put up "Go Buffalo" signs on John Muckler's yard in Buffalo (I guess he has a home there too??).

I just saw a headline for the Ottawa Citizen which read "Oh Nelly! Is it time for Bob Cole to go?"

Hmm, all the interferencers who are gambling on the Ottawa games? :wink:

No silly, I am Buffalo. It should be over unless Ottawa pulls an Ottawa.:wink:

I don't think the Slugs are toast yet. Both teams are playing tough. It's not like the Sens walked all over them...especially last night.

Lemon Meringue said:
I don't think the Slugs are toast yet. Both teams are playing tough. It's not like the Sens walked all over them...especially last night.

Buffalo looked awful last night. They have no power play, gave up multiple odd man rushes and can barely control the puck in the Ottawa zone. Turnovers are killing them and giving up a 2 goal lead in your own building when you were 46-0 this season with a 2-0 lead isn't a confidence builder. Miller is keeping them in this series.

Unless Buffalo fixes the PP and has better puck management, they are done. They played their best hockey of the series in that first period and still lost. I thought Buffalo was the better team but they aren't showing it. I think Ottawa is good enough to win the cup but they have to prove themselves. It's possible for Ottawa to lose it if they start feeling the pressure.

trevster2k said:

No silly, I am Buffalo. It should be over unless Ottawa pulls an Ottawa.:wink:

I didn't mean Interferencers are betting on Ottawa to win, but that if they are betting money on the Ottawa games and thus far the majority here predicted them losing to Pittsburgh , NJ, Buffalo then they are losing a lot of money!

And the only team looking like they're pulling an Ottawa is Buffalo! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom