The 2007-08 NHL Hockey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don was on fire tonight :up: I just couldn't look at the suit.

ETA: and they suck again. Hoovers have nothing on these clowns FFS

Last edited:
Just wondering why people are Leaf fans?

I mean, I started watching hockey when Gretzky entered the league and became an Oiler fan. So combined with team success and a superstar player, I was drawn to this team. I am still an Oiler fan, btw, despite their fall from grace over the years.

I can understand folks from TO being fans since it is their hometown but why are other people Leaf fans? They don't have any superstars ( Gilmour was not a superstar) and they haven't won the cup in my lifetime. They are perennial losers and continually disappoint their fans despite being the richest team in Canada so why the love?

Maybe, like me, people grew up watching the Leafs or something. I grew up whatching the Canadiens and the Senators. So I'm fans of their's.

:shrug:

trevster2k said:

I mean, I started watching hockey when Gretzky entered the league and became an Oiler fan. So combined with team success and a superstar player, I was drawn to this team. I am still an Oiler fan, btw, despite their fall from grace over the years.

I can understand folks from TO being fans since it is their hometown but why are other people Leaf fans? They don't have any superstars ( Gilmour was not a superstar) and they haven't won the cup in my lifetime. They are perennial losers and continually disappoint their fans despite being the richest team in Canada so why the love?

I fell in love with Wendel Clark in my teens, I thought he was the hottest player at the time and I was done for after that. I have no idea how or why, one of my quirks I guess. Lately I've been thinking about switching to the Pens, you'll prob see me cheering for them this yr a bit, Maxime Talbot wouldn't you know :drool:

I used to be a huge Leafs fan. It was mostly because most of my family are Leafs fans. But as they continued to suck each and every year I became less attached to them.

I like the Senators and Pens (Sidney Crosby, what can I say, he's a maritimer.. I gotta support him) for regular season following. Come the playoffs, I'll be rooting for all the Canadian teams. So now you all know the method to my madness.

snowbunny00774 said:

I fell in love with Wendel Clark in my teens, I thought he was the hottest player at the time and I was done for after that.

57.jpg

:giggle:

I thought it was funny that since it was even opening night, I opened up the Chicago Sun Times and there was a little article about the hawks winning in over time. It was fucking the first open season game and that article was behind a poker tournament!

Oh the irony

Originally posted by MsMofoGone
As for the AHL ... The Chicago Wolves start their season away in Houston tonight,
before coming home next weekend. :up:

They won their first game on the road. :yippie:

Chicago Wolves 4
Houston Aeros 2

Now, hopefully they can win their first game at home against Milwaukee on Saturday. :up:

Thanks for the responses Leaf fans!!

I figured many people just became fans cause their family rooted for a certain team and went along with it as kids. Or they are from the same region.

Since we don't have a team in Newfoundland, you will come across Leaf, Hab, Bruin, Detroit, etc. fans but mostly Leaf and Hab fans. I was fairly unique being an Oiler fan and those late night playoff games were a bitch.:wink:

trevster2k said:

It's a good question! Maybe it's because we're continually force-fed a blitz of Leafs media coverage? They're usually the top sports story on Toronto-based TSN, and other media. Just a guess. Of the two East Coast teams, Montreal has certainly had the legacy with the most lustre during my days as a fan. THEY had the huge following in the '70s, but something definitely changed in the '80s...even though the Leafs were god-awful in that decade. Maybe a growing number of people just started feeling really sorry for them. :wink:

I loved last night's Habs/Leafs game. Classic. :up: Even Don Cherry seemed feisty and coherent. Not sold on the new jerseys, however...they seem a bit like practice jerseys to me. :huh:

ETA:

trevster2k said:

Since we don't have a team in Newfoundland..

FOG DEVILS! :rockon:

Last edited:
im an avalanche fan, how is pattrick roy doing in goal?:wink:

I miss it when there was fights that the refs would let them do, then the goalies would get fet up and start punching each other...

Any who, im surprise that Chris Chelios is still playing at 45..

Go Avalanche!

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

One of the worst jersey ideas ever.

What was even worse was the pre-game graphics. It was a CG pirate ship, and the Islanders would take slap shots out of the cannon hole things on the side. And I think it somehow ended with the Gorton Fisherman coming up through the ice or something stupid like that. So bad. But back in those days they weren't in first place and undefeated* - like now :D - so people had to focus on something else.

*I probably only have until 5pm to say this. Don't hate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom