The 2006 3 mobile Ashes Series Australia vs. England

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zepher25

Acrobat
so, the ashes are a mere 5 months away, tickets went on sale yesterday casuing massive tickemaster/ticketek system failures (even worse then when u2 went on sale!), i just saw some poor englishman paid 110,000 pounds for 2 MCG tickets....Sucker, i paid $19 austalian for 1 general admission ticket on day 3. so lets discuss the ashes, your predictions for winner, man of the series, most centruries ect.

personally im thinking Australia will win..coz im not bias at all, Ricky Ponting or Shane Warne will probably win man of the series, although i want Gilly to!, but i predict ponting to get the most centuries, so lets get the cross world rivalry going!

Well giving this a bump with some team news.

First it was Simon Jones, now it's Michael Vaughan, who was confirmed today as being definitely out of England's line-up.

My predicted line-up for England:

1. Trescothick
2. Cook
3. Strauss
4. Pietersen
5. Flintoff (c)
6. Jones
7. Dalrymple
8. Hoggard
9. Harmison
10. Mahmood/Plunkett/ Anderson
11. Panesar

I think England must be praying Jimmy Anderson and (at a long shot, because it doesn't look bloody likely) Giles return fit and in time for the series because if they're stuck to playing the likes of Mahmood then batsmen like Hussey and Ponting are going to be enjoying themselves. Dalrymple was the only one to come out of the one day series against the Lankans looking anywhere decent so the Pakistan series is going to be interesting to see if he can make it in Tests. It's actually still a pretty decent, competitive line-up.

That said even with all the injuries you wonder why the county system, purportedly the best first-class league in the world, isn't producing more world-class players. Kabir Ali, anyone?

Dalrymple: Cricinfo gave him an 8 for the one day series against the Lankans. He's a useful off-spinner and a pretty decent bat as well. He just got trapped leg before for 1 off 5 balls for England A against Pakistan though.

Jamie Dalrymple
The one player to take his opportunity with both hands and by the end of the series was already feeling like a one-day regular. It was his stylish and composed batting that really shone, as more senior players around him lost their wickets in a variety of styles. He showed the ability to nurdle singles and clear the boundary with equal measure. His bowling won't frighten the opposition, but he isn't afraid to give the ball a tweak and vary his pace intelligently and was about the only controlling option open to Andrew Strauss. Somehow he managed to concede less than five-an-over during the Headingley carnage. The World Cup beckons.

Flintoff now out for three months. This could be dodgy indeed.

Still, it means Ian Bell's got a chance to try and show what he can do. The bowling now looks very, very thin though.

I guess another England Ashes 24 test losing streak had to start at some point :D

this Aussie summer sounds like a good starting point for me :up:

I am 100000% sure Australia will win... last year England's win was a miracle. Steve Harmison hasn't performed as well since then and Andrew Flintoff is injured...Australia will be smarting from the loss and raring to go! :drool:

:D

Babydoll said:
I am 100000% sure Australia will win... last year England's win was a miracle. Steve Harmison hasn't performed as well since then and Andrew Flintoff is injured.

you should never be that sure about anything in sports.

and Harmison performed very well yesterday. (6-19) :drool: and Flintoff should be fit for the ashes.

i've been very impressed with the England batting overall this summer, the bowling is the questionable area, but assuming Flintoff returns and if Harmison can bowl like he did against Pakistan yesterday...i still harbour some hope for England this ashes.

Yeah Harmison did play well yesterday, but it was a dodgy pitch.

I'm really impressed with Bell and in particular Cook so far, but facing a Pakistan attack missing the likes of Shoaib and Rana isn't quite the same as facing Warne and Lee et al.

I think England do have a bigger chance than most suggest though. We'll see.

Babydoll said:
By the way, what's the word on Glenn McGrath for the Ashes?? Injured or returning?

When did he get injured? He's been off to support his wife while she fought cancer (which is in remission now, I believe :up: ), and will reportedly be back for this coming season.

And dont everyone bet on us walking over England. We've lost some shoe-in's in recent years. England's injuries dont really mean much with our hot and cold performances. Should be good though!

England won by an innings today, that should make the Ashes series even more exciting to watch, if that was possible... :hyper:

Angela Harlem said:

And dont everyone bet on us walking over England. We've lost some shoe-in's in recent years. England's injuries dont really mean much with our hot and cold performances. Should be good though!

I'm backing Australia because it's my favorite team! :)

Back
Top Bottom