The 2006 3 mobile Ashes Series Australia vs. England

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ oh Adrian, that is wishful thinking, I fear! Let's see, Warne's first wicket in Melbourne will be his 700th Test wicket, so he is going to be on fire; Hayden and Langer must know that their days are numbered, so they will be determined and 'our' Pup seems to be coming into some serious, serious form. (And that's just for starters!)

Sorry :reject: You can't hold back a bunch of winning Aussies :no:

jimmmm said:
Disappointing as the outcome is, there's no shame in losing to the best team in the world, I've said it before, & no doubt I'll say it again, but the Aussie cricket team must surely rank as the greatest SPORTS team ever, they've totally dominated the sport for as long as I can remember, & they don't seem to be showing any sign of faltering.

:yes: The Australian Cricket Team probably are something a bit special, I agree. Well done on regaining The Ashes Aussies and I'm only sorry that we didn't seem to put up any kind of resistance. :sigh:

I'm also sorry that all you lot who are going to be at the fourth and fifth tests are going to be watching pointless cricket (believe me, I'm really, really, really sorry! :wink: )

Shane Warne has just announced he's going to retire fron international cricket at the end of the ashes.

I was just reading an article about him, they even slaughter us when it comes to mickey taking, & slating, after one England player taunted him about his rotund appearance, asking why he was so fat, quick as a flash Warne replied, "Its coz every time I shag yer Missus, she insists on giving me a biscuit."Absolute class!

Actually mate that was Eddo Brandes, the Zimbabwean chicken farmer (really) and tailender to Glenn McGrath.

Still funny though.

Anyway with regards to the Ashes I was really hoping for a competitive series but Australia were way too good and England were way too bad. Pity.

And now it's official.

For all the off-field stupidity he was truly a master of spin bowling, and by all accounts he was a very nice chap in terms of signing autographs and so on.

This year has been a good year. First Ian Thorpe and now Shane Warne. Good riddance! :happy:

But now Glenn McGrath has announced his retirement. I actually liked him. :sad:

Why couldn't some Aussie sportsperson I despise, such as Liesel Jones or Phil Waugh, retire instead?

according to the lovely sportsforum on the bbc website the retirement of Warne and McGrath means that england will win the ashes the next 150 years

that their team hasn't been able to go through any match these ashes so far without having at least 1 day where they make the dutch cricket team look like potential world champions in comparison doesn't seem to discourage them :up:
the fact that the impact Warne and McGrath have hardly had an impact these ashes also is hardly mentioned :up:

it's a shame to say goodbye to 2 of the absolute greats of the team, but life goes on!
and I hope the thrashing of england will go on too :D

Salome said:

that their team hasn't been able to go through any match these ashes so far without having at least 1 day where they make the dutch cricket team look like potential world champions in comparison doesn't seem to discourage them :up:

Bit harsh, I think. There was the 551-6 on the first two days of Adelaide (admittedly on a good pitch) and the first day at Perth.

Besides, it's not just Warne and McGrath who are to depart, but also Langer, Hayden and Gilchrist are very unlikely to play in the next series.

The BBC 606 thingy is still one of the most horrible things I've seen though, in terms of interface, user-friendliness and design.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Actually mate that was Eddo Brandes, the Zimbabwean chicken farmer (really) and tailender to Glenn McGrath.

Still funny though.

Anyway with regards to the Ashes I was really hoping for a competitive series but Australia were way too good and England were way too bad. Pity.

Hmm, all of a sudden it doesn't seem quite so funny, hope he didn't make the comment after McGrath's wife's illness was public knowledge.

yertle-the-turtle said:

Bit harsh, I think. There was the 551-6 on the first two days of Adelaide (admittedly on a good pitch) and the first day at Perth.
aye, then again in 2005 the thing where England nailed Aus was by eliminating poor sessions
these Ashes they've had sessions were the word 'poor' doesn't seem to suffice
it has been downright painful

Aus will become a less amazing team then they have been this last decade or so, but England will really need to improve themselves and focus on that instead on who's playing for the opposition

Salome said:
but England will really need to improve themselves and focus on that instead on who's playing for the opposition

I think you have a relevant point there, that and a winning mentality, and to me that doesn't just apply to the England cricket team but English teams, & sport stars in general, a trawl down the sports archives of the last, say 50 years, look at any English success, in major sports events in that time, & God knows thats not a lot, but after any success there's been an almost immediate decline in that particular sport, last years ashes success, has been followed by, at best mediocre perfomances, The RU World Cup win seems to have set off an almost unstoppable decline in that sport, few boxers have ever managed to successfully defend their titles for any length of time, Joe Calzaghe being one of the few exceptions there, & the football team, well even the most ardent England fans are getting a bit tired of having to trot out references to '66. It's almost as if any success in any field, brings a feeling that they can't possibly go any higher, they've reached the ultimate, and can't go on any further, whereas,in particular, Aussie, & US sports stars seem to get to the top, take a deep breath & say, right thats the first part achieved, now lets stay at the very top and enjoy the view, the desire isn't just to get to the top, & be satisfied with that.

Just how I see it, might be wrong.

I can't believe that despite a frigging rain delay, England still managed to play so badly that we're already into Australia's first innings.

Wow, England has really blown it for themselves now. I can't believe they once had Australia on the ropes for something along the lines of 5/85.

Here's another game that could soon be over ...

That most of these matches are 10+ hours behind GMT is really a blessing.

So for those of you that have been watching this series....Have Australia been really good, England really poor or a mixture of both?

adrball said:
That most of these matches are 10+ hours behind GMT is really a blessing.

I think you mean 10+ ahead. :wink:

So for those of you that have been watching this series....Have Australia been really good, England really poor or a mixture of both?

I would say it has been a mixture of both. Australia's had a lot of fight in them and England's just been piss-poor and lacklustre.

I ought to know that. And I expected you to say a LOT of BOTH.

Anyways, I decided not to torture myself by staying up through the night watching it.

3 days. Innings defeat in 3 days. (Granted Read and Hoggard might bat this out...ha!)

Is this the same England that thrashed Pakistan just a few months ago?

Words fail me, really.

Send this lot home and get the 'A' side to play the final Test, that should be the kick up the backside.

Dear Axver

I haven't got a fucking clue. Neither has the team.

Sincerely,
AB

ps...now even more pissed that I didn't back 5-0. Would have got really good odds here.

Drop the first XI & play the Ex players in the commentry boxes........Atherton,Gower,Botham,Boycott:huh: Lloyd,Nicholas,Agnew,Fraser.Even throw the new ball to Henry Blofeld,he can't be any worse for christ sake.

I think this tour,Duncan Fletcher has taken advice from Sven-Goran Eriksson........take injured players 'cos the boy's done good in the past.

I don't think it was a bowling plan that was nicked from the dressing room...........it looked more like a set-list to get Axver going.:ohmy:

OMFG- I WENT TO DAY 3 EXPECTING TO SEE SOME GOOD CRICKET, BUT CHRIST ALLMIGHTY, I NEVER EXPECTED TO SEE AUSTRALIA WIN BY AN INNINGS IN 99 RUNS ON DAY 3 THAT WAS SO COOL! i just dont know how the hell england can suck so much. and i back Stuart Clark for Man of the Sieries

I'd love to see Australia spend some of the money we assign to cricket on developing other countries teams instead. I'm not trying to be patronising, but Australia is sick of being hated for simply achieving the purpose of playing which is winning, and I reckon everyone else would agree it would be great to see an actual competition in international cricket.

It's boring and it's bullshit. If we can develop great players, then what the hell is stopping everyone else? A good victory is an earned victory. Not these walk-overs.

Back
Top Bottom