The 2006 3 mobile Ashes Series Australia vs. England

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope the series is at least close...I don't want to see four tests won by Australia comfortably and then England taking out the dead rubber again...

Yeah or England to win the first three Tests and render everything moot. :)

Aussies and co. were supposed to be down in my part of the world for a tournament but they decided to shift everything up north to Kuala Lumpur. I saw a bit on TV yesterday; McGrath gave Tendulkar a nasty one on the head. And Mitchell Johnson - whoever he is - looked pretty handy too.

It's underway...sorta.

England playing a tour match against a PM 's XI. It's their full side, except Giles has come in for Bell.

Unfortunately for England it's limited overs. Poor old Saj Mahmood has completed his fourth over and he's already leaked 30 runs.

Edit: Ooh, I didn't notice Geraint Jones back in the side. Took a blnder, apparently.

Last edited:
Well it wasn't their full side, actually, becuase Hoggard and Harmison weren't playing. Haha.

Apparently the side for the First Test could look like this now.

Banger
Johann
Cook
Bell
KP
Freddie
GoJo
Gilo
Hoggy
GBH
Monty

Two spinners, Jones as keeper, and Anderson the back-up seamer. Toss-up between Bell or Collingwood, but if they're going in with two spinners then I don't see Colly playing. Bell's a better batsman so the only extra thing Collingwood's going to bring is a few dibbly-dobblies here and there but I suppose they can use Pietersen for that.

Anybody know how I can get commentary?

TMS is geoblocked to UK users and ABC to Australians, leaving me stranded. :mad:

And seriously, why is Giles playing over Monty? Sure Gilo got a wicket, but you'd think Panesar would have done a bit more by now.

300/3

Audio.

The ABC is limited to Aussie computers only because of rights restrictions.

Unless someone can teach me how to fool them into thinking I have an Australian proxy (or the Beeb that I have a British one)...

yertle-the-turtle said:

And seriously, why is Giles playing over Monty? Sure Gilo got a wicket, but you'd think Panesar would have done a bit more by now.

300/3

I know! And I just don't see what more Monty could have done to prove that he deserved to be in the team either. :shrug:

As for your commentary problems, is this any good for you?

http://www.cricketworld.com/radio/

(I've not listened to it though so I don't know what it's like).

Last edited:
Ah that might just work. Cheers.

I'd love to have TMS though.

At any rate it's close to 5 am here, I'm still stuck in front of my copy of The Iceman Cometh, so I might actually end up sleeping through the morning and most of the Test.

I saw bits of the game today (Warne's dismissal and most of the England innings) by watching it on a tiny screen on my TV (long story).

I think no one dares to say it yet but let's just say I won't be surprised if Australia finish this on Sunday morning by an innings.

Smart decision by Australia. Destroy the England bowling, declare overnight, and then have six sessions to attack them. This could have repercussions for the whole series.

England don't have a Michael Atherton/Rahul Dravid-type to just stick around at the wicket and bat out those six sessions so the result's a pretty foregone conclusion. Oh right, they've got Ashley Giles.

By the way theQuiet1 your commentary link works fine! Thanks! Would, as mentioned before, much prefer TMS (because they're actually at the ground and you can hear the crowd and all) but this is better than nothing. Damn the rights restrictions fascists.

yertle-the-turtle said:

By the way theQuiet1 your commentary link works fine! Thanks! Would, as mentioned before, much prefer TMS (because they're actually at the ground and you can hear the crowd and all) but this is better than nothing. Damn the rights restrictions fascists.

Glad that it works OK. And I agree 100% about the rights restrictions, seems ridiculous if you ask me.

the rockin edge said:
oh just end it now & get on to the 2nd test i cant take this anymore. :|

I know. It's becoming painful to watch. :( Even if we end up losing the Ashes couldn't we at least put up a bit of resistance?!

Aggers gets around doesn't he? He's speaking on the ABC right now!

Some daft batting. Strauss especially. Collingwood, after what he'd done. I'd be surprised if Pietersen's there at close.

Augurs well for a competitive Second Test, I think. To post 370 against any Australian side is very good.

Panesar should come back for the next match. He'd better. Most likely he'd replace Giles, but I'm beginning to warm to the idea of him going into the side ahead of Harmison or Anderson. Depends on the pitch report at Adelaide. Either way him and Flintoff would be great to watch. Monty can hold up the one end, giving Flintoff license to destroy at the other.

Mahmood can keep a wide berth (no pun) though. He'll take wickets but will end up even more expensive than Harmy, and that's saying a lot. Will be a big force in years to come, just not now.

Wow, the English have actually discovered how to hold the bat! :up:

and they didn't embarrass themselves

if Flintoff's indeed is injured I hope it won't be too bad
I don't think the poms would be able to bounce back from that for sheer psychological reasons

Ponting is playing captain's innings here, there and everywhere :up:

Back
Top Bottom