The 2006 3 mobile Ashes Series Australia vs. England

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Babydoll said:
I am 100000% sure Australia will win... last year England's win was a miracle.

Ahhhhhh pride before a fall. :wink:

Is Panesar a definite for the England Ashes team? I'm becoming a big fan of his and think he's a really good spinner but is his standard of fielding and batting really good enough yet to face Australia? I suppose his bowling more than makes up for any other weaknesses of his but still.

Also, a name to watch out for in the future- Adil Rashid. A Bradford boy who took six wickets in his Yorkshire debut the other week, has taken eight wickets and scored a century so far in the England Under 19 match against India.

Big difference between U-19 and international cricket, though. In five/six years time Rashid may be in the England team though, especially since he's a leg-spinner.

Panesar, by the way, is nailed on for Australia. The only person who has even a remote chance of dislodging him is Ashley Giles.

Australia are the favorites for sure but i dont think this will be anywhere near as one sided as the last time England were in Oz.....
I think Cook will really make a name for himself in this series....

England is playing really very well at the moment - these last two Tests against Pakistain have proven them a class team! Wonder what happened to them against Sri Lanka though? Or is Pakistan simply a weaker team?

A bit of both, I think. Pakistan are missing their first choice attack (hell, Shahid Nazir hasn't played a Test for something like six years) but I think this England set-up is actually gelling together under the leadership of Strauss. Are Australia still massive favourites for the Ashes? Yes, but I guess the odds have been shortened ever so slightly.

Monty's going to be key for England; he's a genuine talent. For him to get figures like he did on that sort of wicket shows how good he is. The problem, of course, is that fielding at the MCG boundary is going to be different from fielding at Headingley or Old Trafford. If he gets his head around that, who knows?

Edit: I missed this because I was in the hospital, but bloody hell.

http://cricketvideosunplugged.blogspot.com/2006/08/inzamam-ul-haq-hit-wicket.html

He said he was "kidding.".... :huh:

Yeah right, he was kidding in calling a Muslim man with a beard a terrorist, knowing that about a million people are listening to him.... :| :|

so now England are reconsidering handing the captaincy back to Flintoff for the ashes, seeing that Strauss has done well.

i'd probably say :up: to that, Flintoff was over bowling himself as captain against Sri Lanka. He is probably more effective as just being the best player on the team.:wink:

australia will clearly smash england, should be great, almost all the seats at every stadium for every test have been sold, and i think most went to Australians.

zepher25 said:
i wonder who will be the Aussie crowds abused guy, last summer it was Andrea Nel, im thinking Flintoff

It'll be Panasar cause he's a dodgy fielder, he's not white and he's got a "funny" asian name. Good luck to him, that's all I can say...

Sounds as if he was more than impressive against Pakistan, which is a bloody good thing for the Poms because the "King of Spain" Ashley Giles is a very ordinary spinner. Need Suchy back! :wink:

I think that the Aussies will win convincingly. The prospect of being without Simon Jones and Michael Vaughan could seriously hamper England's chances. There is also a huge question mark over who will keep for England. Read or Geraint? Is there anyone else? Bring back Warren Hegg for a laugh maybe? Also, I'm yet to be fully convinced by Bell, although this young fella Cook could pose a few problems.

Possible team:

Strauss
Trescothick
Cook
Bell
Pieterson
Flintoff
Jones
Hoggard
Mahmood/Jones/Anderson
Panesar
Harmison

Seems to be lacking one more batsman I think. Anyone know who it should be?

There's talk of replacing Langer with Jaques which I think is a wrong move. If Jaques has got to play, than Hayden should make room for him.
Hussey and Ponting will play and have a huge bearing over the outcome of the series, as will the declining Gilchrist.
Warne will prove amazing again. The ultimate and most legendary spinner. A question mark hovers over the impact of the aging McGrath, and can Lee stay in good touch? Gillespie should play, his experience will count, and Tait needs to be reintroduced. MacGill must play as well. It was criminal that he didn't play in the last series. 3rd best spinner in the world.

I hope it's as absorbing as the last Ashes series. Couldn't stop watching it. One of the best things in sport in a long time.

And if Clarke plays at the expense of Brad Hodge, I'm supporting England..... and it's as simple as that...

intedomine said:

It'll be Panasar cause he's a dodgy fielder, he's not white and he's got a "funny" asian name. Good luck to him, that's all I can say...

The Monster's bowling ought to shut 'em up :wink:

All drama at The Oval today with Pakistan refusing to play
:shocked:

Today's drama was :|

In my opinion, it's basically Darrell Hair's fault, he had no proof and based his accusations on mostly assumptions... That's not cricket!

Such drama and wastage of time when the match itself would have been so exciting to watch, I'm sure the rest of the day's play would have been fun to watch. :tsk:

What I really cannot believe about the whole thing is that when Pakistan finally agree to come out and play the umpires refused to come out!

Monty Panadol will be ridiculed in Australia just like Phil Tufnell was. He will want to take a shitload of wickets.

And about 'Hair Hitler'. Everything was fine until he wrote to the ICC saying 'pay me $660,000 (US$500,000) to quit. Discgrace. The emails were in todays Herald Sun.

Well, Jamie Dalrymple has gone from the (pseudo) hero of the Sri Lanka series to looking absolute pants against Pakistan.

If England are going to do anything in the World Cup next year they're going to have to improve greatly.

England in the last few years have looked a solid test outfit... one of the top three in the world.. but there one-day form has been inconsistent... and miserable since the tour of india.
id say they have a good chance at the ashes....but almost no shot at the world cup....

Graham Onions now into the side. Great name (and he plays in the same Durham team as Phil Mustard, you really can't make this stuff up) but apparently his Pro40 form is vastly inferior to his Championship form.

I honestly don't see why they don't bring in Panesar. OK, they're worried about the confidence thing, but he's a fairly economical bowler which is important in ODIs. And there's really no reason why Chris Tremlett isn't being given another go.

That's Darren Gough's career gone too, I think. Goodbye Dazzler.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Graham Onions now into the side. Great name (and he plays in the same Durham team as Phil Mustard, you really can't make this stuff up) but apparently his Pro40 form is vastly inferior to his Championship form.

:lmao:

Hmm Ashley Giles is apparently in line for selection for the Champions Trophy, and if he gets through that it will be interesting to see if gets into an XI with Monty.

Personally I'd leave him off. England should more or less use their Pakistan line-up with Flintoff replacing Mahmood and playing the four bowlers, with Collingwood/Pietersen adding a few overs here and there.

Either that or drop Trescothick for Giles or Mahmood or even James Anderson (but he's not had much cricket) and open with Cook and Strauss, but I doubt they'll ever do that.

On the Indian pitches it wouldn't hurt to have the extra spinner, that seemed to be a problem when England got hammered over there earlier this year. Although neither can contribute much with the bat or in the field, so that would probably mean only one of em' playing, I would definetely go with Giles, he had some success in India in the ODI series in 2001/02 and is a much better bat than Monty...

England squad for Ashes tour: A Flintoff (captain, Lancashire, 62 Tests), A Strauss (Middlesex, 31 Tests), M Trescothick (Somerset, 76 Tests), A Cook (Essex, 9 Tests), K Pietersen (Hampshire, 18 Tests), I Bell (Warwickshire, 18 Tests), P Collingwood (Durham, 15 Tests), C Read (Nottinghamshire, 13 Tests), S Mahmood (Lancashire, 5 Tests), S Harmison (Durham, 45 Tests), M Hoggard (Yorkshire, 58 Tests), M Panesar (Northants, 10 Tests), G Jones (Kent, 31 Tests), A Giles (Warwickshire, 52 Tests), J Anderson (Lancashire, 13 Tests), L Plunkett (Durham, 6 Tests).

England squad for Champions Trophy: A Flintoff (captain, Lancashire), J Anderson (Lancashire), I Bell (Warwickshire), R Clarke (Surrey), P Collingwood (Durham), J Dalrymple (Middlesex), S Harmison (Durham), E Joyce (Middlesex), S Mahmood (Lancashire), J Lewis (Gloucestershire), K Pietersen (Hampshire), C Read (Nottinghamshire), A Strauss (Middlesex), M Yardy (Sussex).

Rather predictable, I guess. Anderson could play ahead of Mahmood if he's fit enough but I'll still take Monty over Giles (although a second spinner in Sydney may have been useful). Would have preferred Strauss as captain; simply because I think Flintoff's big guts performances always bring about a tendency to overbowl himself. Glad the selectors didn't listen to the Mark Ramprakash lot either.

yertle-the-turtle said:
England squad for Ashes tour: A Flintoff (captain, Lancashire, 62 Tests), A Strauss (Middlesex, 31 Tests), M Trescothick (Somerset, 76 Tests), A Cook (Essex, 9 Tests), K Pietersen (Hampshire, 18 Tests), I Bell (Warwickshire, 18 Tests), P Collingwood (Durham, 15 Tests), C Read (Nottinghamshire, 13 Tests), S Mahmood (Lancashire, 5 Tests), S Harmison (Durham, 45 Tests), M Hoggard (Yorkshire, 58 Tests), M Panesar (Northants, 10 Tests), G Jones (Kent, 31 Tests), A Giles (Warwickshire, 52 Tests), J Anderson (Lancashire, 13 Tests), L Plunkett (Durham, 6 Tests).

England squad for Champions Trophy: A Flintoff (captain, Lancashire), J Anderson (Lancashire), I Bell (Warwickshire), R Clarke (Surrey), P Collingwood (Durham), J Dalrymple (Middlesex), S Harmison (Durham), E Joyce (Middlesex), S Mahmood (Lancashire), J Lewis (Gloucestershire), K Pietersen (Hampshire), C Read (Nottinghamshire), A Strauss (Middlesex), M Yardy (Sussex).

Rather predictable, I guess. Anderson could play ahead of Mahmood if he's fit enough but I'll still take Monty over Giles (although a second spinner in Sydney may have been useful). Would have preferred Strauss as captain; simply because I think Flintoff's big guts performances always bring about a tendency to overbowl himself. Glad the selectors didn't listen to the Mark Ramprakash lot either.

Is Simon Jones injured? he did very well when Australia were in England last year.
I think Vaughan's absence should be nullified by Cook....

Trescothick
Cook
Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Flintoff
Jones
Giles
Hoggard
Harmison
Anderson

Anderson is looking like the only weak link, hopefully Jones can improve the quality of his keeping as he is a more than useful bat. I guess one of the 3 left handed openers will have to adjust to a new position in the line-up.

Back
Top Bottom