That new iPod Nano commerical with the Feist song...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
...is really getting on my fucking nerves.

Is it me, or is this on like every channel, all day? "1,2,3,4"? More like "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10...", etc. I probably saw this thing in the double digits within a 2-hour period. It's like the new "This Is Our Country".

I liked this album when it came out, but now because of the commercial I probably can't listen to any of it.

When an artist "sells out", it's not so much that they're taking money for the use of their artistic expression (which is pretty much what selling your music is anyway), but it's because they're risking an overexposure like this one, where I can't think of anything but iPods when I hear her song. Which couldn't have been the original intent.

It shouldn't be my responsibility to run and turn off the TV so the song doesn't get ruined for me--it's Feist's responsibility for letting it be used in this regard, to this extent.

I feel the same way. At least it's not one of her better songs to begin with.

"My Moon My Man" for those Chocolate phones though... :(

Good Feist songs:

Past in Present
Mushaboom
Sea Lion Woman
The Limit to Your Love
I Feel It All
Secret Heart
Inside+Out

Check out some of her stuff with Broken Social Scene, too.

My theory is if your hearing a song in tv commercials enough to get sick of it, you're watching too much tv. :wink:

indra said:
My theory is if your hearing a song in tv commercials enough to get sick of it, you're watching too much tv. :wink:

I saw that commercial about 10 times watching one football game last week though. It really is becoming the indietastic "This Is Our Country."

You have no idea how much it pains me to say that.

Indra, I would agree with you, but I've actually been watching very little lately. My coworker/roommate is out of town for the weekend, and I had the tube on mostly in the background while I was online.

I'm not exaggerating when I say how many times this was on.

Maybe this is how some people felt about the Vertigo ads.

I don't care that she did a commercial, but I think the commercial itself is one of the more annoying ones that Apple has done.

I am a big fan of her music, though.

I despise that song. It really makes me want to smash my TV if I'm in a bad mood. Definitely a poor advertising campaign for Feist. :shame:

How was "Brandy Alexander" not listed with the finest Feist songs? :mad:

SeattleVertigo said:
I don't care that she did a commercial, but I think the commercial itself is one of the more annoying ones that Apple has done.

I am a big fan of her music, though.

They should go back to the wicked silhouette dancing.

That shit was baller as hell.

I'm on the fence about it, but it's ultimately a personal choice for the artist. It would be great if everyone in indie-land could reach a point financially where they wouldn't have to sell their music that way. Maybe she wants to build a really awesome treehouse, or something.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I'd never heard the song before the commercial and now I can't get enogh of it.

^ Proof that commercials can bring new fans to the artist. It does alienate others, however. I cringed in horror when I saw Mushaboom play over a perfume ad here in Canada. :mad: Maybe once she reaches a certian level, she won't feel the need to take that approach anymore.

The other solution is to not watch TV. Something to be said for that.

No joke: I'm watching Sunday Night Football, and they showed the Feist and Mellencamp ads back to back! They did some football stuff for like 30 seconds, and ran the Mellencamp AGAIN!

I almost had an anyeurism; luckily I hit mute in time.

lazarus said:
No joke: I'm watching Sunday Night Football, and they showed the Feist and Mellencamp ads back to back! They did some football stuff for like 30 seconds, and ran the Mellencamp AGAIN!

I almost had an anyeurism; luckily I hit mute in time.

:lol:

Was there a Peyton Manning commercial after?

I spent the entire day hitting mute every time that commercial came on. I tried listening to it again, but it's just so annoying. :(

I've pretty much stopped caring about the whole music-in-commercials issue, as long as it's not KFC or something.

The commercial itself is pretty average though, not anywhere near as striking or memorable as the silhouettes thing.

I love John Mellencamp, but those ads are WAY overdone (and Our Country is the only weak song on his latest album, the rest are dark, rough, and solid).

The Feist ad was fine the first few times, now I change the channel.

Have y'all seen the GMC commercial using Genesis's Turn it On Again? I saw it for the first time yesterday and almost couldn't believe it.

I don't want a commercial to ruin that song for me too :sad:

Someone was singing that song today in school... I almost stabbed them in the throat with a pencil.

I think the problem is that it's such a sing-songy song, and gets caught in your head like any other advertising jingle created by some Madison Ave slimebag. When heard over and over again these types of tunes get really annoying. Conversely, Vertigo isn't anything like that, and I was able to endure hearing it all the time.

Also, the way she moves her shoulders back and forth when she starts dancing, it's rather stiff and looks a little forced. I don't want this to turn into a Feist hate-fest because I think the album is fantastic, but I can only imagine how much more enraged this commercial would make me if the screen on the iPod were blown up to the point where I could see this any clearer.

For an idea of what Apple spared us from seeing up close, watch the actual Feist video on You Tube, and just think "Shiny Happy People":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Z-DIAthbM

Yeah, it could have been MUCH worse.

I like Feist but I worried from the moment I saw her CD in Starbucks and then by the check-out in Whole Foods that she would become the next Norah Jones due to overexposure. The iPod commercial confirms it for me. I'm not horribly against that sort of promotion but in this case it has pretty much ruined that song for me--and that's just from seeing the commercial 3x in one night. I don't watch much TV and in fact never ever once saw the commercial with the Wilco song but this iPod thing is just too much. :grumpy:

The record as a whole remains really good, though. I think "The Park" is a beautiful underrated song, for example.

lazarus said:
I think the problem is that it's such a sing-songy song, and gets caught in your head like any other advertising jingle created by some Madison Ave slimebag. When heard over and over again these types of tunes get really annoying. Conversely, Vertigo isn't anything like that, and I was able to endure hearing it all the time.

Also, the way she moves her shoulders back and forth when she starts dancing, it's rather stiff and looks a little forced. I don't want this to turn into a Feist hate-fest because I think the album is fantastic, but I can only imagine how much more enraged this commercial would make me if the screen on the iPod were blown up to the point where I could see this any clearer.

For an idea of what Apple spared us from seeing up close, watch the actual Feist video on You Tube, and just think "Shiny Happy People":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Z-DIAthbM

Yeah, it could have been MUCH worse.

Wow, that's a terrible video. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom