Tell me about this band The Darkness!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorite songs of theirs aren't even singles: Love Is Only a Feeling and Holding My Own. :yes:

They were definitely a huge thing across the pond before I ever heard them mentioned in the U.S. I hear them compared to Queen quite a bit with the catsuits and falsetto vocals and whatnot. I would say they're worth checking out. :up:

I think Salome is the resident expert on The Darkness. I'm sure he'll be making an appearance in here any minute now...

Last edited:
HeartlandGirl said:

I think Salome is the resident expert on The Darkness.

Wait, HG, didn't you start a thread on The Darkness recently?? :ohmy: :lol: ;)

I bought Permission to Land because people here were saying good things about it and my curiosity was piqued. It's a fun album. :up: :)

their music is usually compared to AC/C and 80's hairbands because of the guitar sound
the singer is usually compared to Freddie Mercury

I applaud them for writing the best melodies of 2003 and finally give fun a place in music again

band of the year
:up:

the darkness are what a rock&roll band should be!

mtv2 are playing a show they played live(its great) and they will be on the headbangers ball(mtv2)
oh and my band(no drummer yet) will cover some darkness songs why because they rock!

love on the rocks. guitars:drool: :drool: :drool:

they're definitely 80's hairbands but without the embarrassment, they're fun without being trite and novelty, they're catchy without being one hit wonders, they're retro musically without risking dating too quickly and they write love songs which dont make you want to barf.

what more can you ask for?
:shrug:

pub crawler said:

Wait, HG, didn't you start a thread on The Darkness recently?? :ohmy: :lol: ;)

I bought Permission to Land because people here were saying good things about it and my curiosity was piqued. It's a fun album. :up: :)

:lol:

Yes. Yes, I did. But I still defer to Salome, unless he wants to be co-experts. :wink:

I'm glad you picked up the album, too, by the way! I've enjoyed listening to it more than I thought I would. And Angela's description of the band is spot on. :up:

I also :bow: to The Darkness!

all i know is that i still need to purchase permission to land.

there like an 80's glam rock band
there great ^^, " i believe in a thing called love" is a cool song, and even if you dont like the music. you can just laugh at the band

ice said:
there like an 80's glam rock band
there great ^^, " i believe in a thing called love" is a cool song, and even if you dont like the music. you can just laugh at the band

i can listen to that song on repeat for quite some time

Yay! The Darkness well and truly rock! I saw them live last summer and they were really good fun to watch. My best friend is actually at uni with Frankie(bass)'s brother, they've gotten access all areas passes and everything:drool: Why do I live 300 miles away from them?
Best song is definatley "Get yours hands off my woman".

ice said:
even if you dont like the music. you can just laugh at the band

I saw them a couple of nights ago on a Letterman rerun.... all i could do is laugh at the band! The songs are fine, but the entire 80s hairband side of them .... should've been left back in the 80s.

truly??
the singer is reminiscent of Freddy Mercury?
:faint: :combust:
I've only heard a part of one of their songs on the radio, but I noticed a thread about them here a while ago and the news was good:up:
I will be seeing them at a festival next week. They are on second on the main stage, middle of the day, so there is chance it won't be too crowded yet.
This could be good:)

bayernfc said:

I saw them a couple of nights ago on a Letterman rerun.... all i could do is laugh at the band! The songs are fine, but the entire 80s hairband side of them .... should've been left back in the 80s.

Awww, come on! I have sorely missed the long hair and Lycra in rock music. :wink: I'm pretty tired of the shaved heads and lip piercings.

This album is a blast--everyone else has said it better than I could. For those who agonize over album purchases, it is only $8.99 at Borders.

I want to see them live sooo bad.

CampbellMSU said:
are they touring in america anytime soon?

The news on MTV2 reported tonight that there are plans for The Darkness to tour around these parts in the spring and summer of this year.

I finally saw them on MTV this morning, and Queen immediately came to mind, and I hadn't read this thread before!

Not only Freddie, but the singing sounds like Roger Taylor at times, and the harmonies, and the guitar playing sounds a bit like Brian May.

But all that is not a bad thing. :wink:

i saw the video for 'i believe in a thing called love' today

:laugh:

awesome.

CampbellMSU said:
are they touring in america anytime soon?

http://www.pollstar.com./tour/searchall.pl?By=Artist&Content=DARKNE&Key=Y

Fri 03/26/04 Milwaukee, WI The Rave / Eagles Ballroom
Sat 03/27/04 Chicago, IL Vic Theatre
Sun 03/28/04 Detroit, MI St. Andrews Hall
Tue 03/30/04 Cleveland, OH Peabody's Down Under
Wed 03/31/04 Pittsburgh, PA Club Laga
Fri 04/02/04 Philadelphia, PA Theatre Of Living Arts
Sat 04/03/04 Boston, MA Avalon
Sun 04/04/04 Providence, RI Lupo's At The Strand
Tue 04/06/04 Washington, DC 9:30 Club
Thu 04/08/04 Atlanta, GA Cotton Club
Fri 04/09/04 New Orleans, LA House Of Blues