Te Urewera National Park Chat Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
We've already been to:

- Australia
- Djibouti

And now we're going to Te Urewera National Park in a rugged part of the North Island of New Zealand. In the Maori language, Te Urewera means "the burnt penis".

waikaremoana-223.jpg

Quite appropriately, besides getting 45ed as I made this thread, I'm also listening to Jakob, a fantastic post-rock band from Napier, which isn't really all that far from the Ureweras.

Jakob OWN. I'm hoping to see them in concert in May. :drool:

unico said:
awesome.
i meant to add that in your list of openers there wasn't a show in Dikhill

Oh, that list was only a brief portion of the end of the second African leg - of three. Djibouti was on the first leg ... and there was no Dikhil because I didn't know. :(

Varitek said:
I am stopping in to Burnt Penis for just a second as I must go to class.

:wave: bye

Have a good one! :wave:

Hope to see you around later.

Andrew's sure to have a field day with jokes in this thread. :wink:

45ed x3

Stats from the Djibouti thread:

Total Posts: 1,003
User Posts
Axver 222
coolian2 171
the tourist 141
Varitek 140
bono_man2002 89
mysterious_jen 83
unico 48
Alisaura 32
liamcool 28
phillyfan26 15
DreamOutLoud13 12
TranceEnding 10
No spoken words 5
Doozer61 4
RavenBlue 2
Screwtape2 1

Wow, way for me to come from behind to win by a mile.

I think I get a boost at the moment because I'm around when both the US and the Aussie crowds are. Once I'm back in university next week, that probably won't be the case nearly as much. Same for Ian. We probably won't be going through a thread a day then. :(

unico said:
you're on break now? i want to be on break now :(

I've been on holidays since bloody November! Remember, it's summer down here.

Yeah, the schedules were published last week and I found myself with quite possibly my second favourite schedule ever, and with major_panic in one of my tutorials.

My best schedule ever was my first semester of my first year of uni. It was:

MONDAY
Midday-2pm: Intro to International Relations lecture
2-3pm: Intro to International Relations tutorial
5-7pm: Europe 1200-1800 lecture
7-8pm: Europe 1200-1800 tutorial

WEDNESDAY
Midday-2pm: Modern Political Ideologies lecture
2-3pm: Modern Political Ideologies tutorial
4-6pm: Rise Of Modern Asia seminar

That was it!

And I lived just a 5 minute walk off campus too. It was so awesome.

OUCH. That for the fail.

I've only ever had to start before 10am a couple of times. The earliest was 9am. My experience is that early classes are shithouse and completely not worth it. The 9am tute I had, although convenient for me, mostly involved the ~10 of us sitting around staring at each other with sleep in our eyes. It was a Monday too, so at least half the tute would be hungover from the weekend.

i had an 8am or 9am each semester in my master's program. it was for the fail too. luckily i had great professors who kept us engaged and didn't mind if we brought breakfy to class.

i hope i never have another 8am for the rest of my life. however, since i'm considering getting a doctorate...i might not be so lucky.

OH! that's what you meant by happy hour. omg...i want to go NOW!
ETA: the 8am thing. yeah i figured since i'm going for the health field i'm fucked for 8am for the rest of my life. i might as well get used to it.

unico said:
i had an 8am or 9am each semester in my master's program. it was for the fail too. luckily i had great professors who kept us engaged and didn't mind if we brought breakfy to class.

i hope i never have another 8am for the rest of my life. however, since i'm considering getting a doctorate...i might not be so lucky.

I'm not sure if the Arts faculty at my uni even does anything before 9am. I've heard of other faculties having 8am classes though. I pity them. Personally, a number of my lecturers and course co-ordinators have pointblank refused to do anything before a certain time, e.g. 10am or 11am. I had one guy who only ever took courses in the afternoon. He was awesome.

I'm just hoping my luck with regards to Fridays holds out. This is my second-last semester before my Honours year, and so far, I've never gone in on a Friday. I'm bloody used to my three day weekends, heh.

right now I teach an 8 am class 2x week. I have a lab at 8 and two other 2.5 hr classes at 8 as well. then I go to clinic three days til 1. One day I'm at Children's hospital and the other I work at a practice for people who are physically challenged. Friday I have surgery 2x a month.

I'm happier that this semester is my last and lightest one

lynnok said:
right now I teach an 8 am class 2x week. I have a lab at 8 and two other 2.5 hr classes at 8 as well. then I go to clinic three days til 1. One day I'm at Children's hospital and the other I work at a practice for people who are physically challenged. Friday I have surgery 2x a month.

I'm happier that this semester is my last and lightest one

... you call that light? I hate to think what your previous semesters were like! :yikes:

I like being kept productive myself, but not kept too busy.

actually it is. I get home most days at 3 or 4. Last year I was gone until 10 pm every night.

Next year will be bad again but I figure I'm used to it

Oh, and I have a PT job in there as well

lynnok said:
actually it is. I get home most days at 3 or 4. Last year I was gone until 10 pm every night.

Next year will be bad again but I figure I'm used to it

Oh, and I have a PT job in there as well

10pm? Oh dear. That sounds like just a bit much! Did you at least get a later start with that? Though I'm not sure I'd be happy about 10pm even with a later start!

I must admit I first read "PT job" as "Porcupine Tree job" and nearly got excited. They truly have become my favourite band. Mmm, Porcupine Tree. :drool:

unico said:
yeah, in grad school last year i worked anywhere from 40-60 hours per week (only getting paid for 20) and took 12 credit hours each semester. suuuuucccccck

Now you lot are getting me worried. I'm planning to go on and get my Masters and PhD in History.

Then again, it sounds like Aussie undergrad is a bludge compared to US undergrad (yet somehow the Uni of Melbourne still one of the top 20 in the world), so hopefully the same holds true for postgrad!

Axver said:

Now you lot are getting me worried. I'm planning to go on and get my Masters and PhD in History.

Then again, it sounds like Aussie undergrad is a bludge compared to US undergrad (yet somehow the Uni of Melbourne still one of the top 20 in the world?), so hopefully the same holds true for postgrad!

my grad was in higher education and student affairs (or educational leadership and policy studies...they can't decide on a name, neither can my school.) so my assistantship was also in student affairs. residence life one year and campus programming the next. thus, they could get away with milking us for our hours. on the plus side, tuition was free :D

i hear higher education in general is way different in the u.s. compared to the rest of the world. for example, MA programs are only one year, PhDs probably don't take a billion years to finish like they do here, and undergrad has a much more specialized curriculum from w hat i understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom