Symphonic Album Mini-Game: Semifinal, Heat 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Lemonchick

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • LemonMacPhisto

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the second of two semifinal heats of the Symphonic Album Mini-Game. The object of this game is to see which forum member can create the best concept album no longer than 80 minutes.

Our second semifinal is now set, as Lemonchick rolled over LemonMelon in the second quarterfinal heat, 9-3, while LemonMacPhisto squeaked by Lancemc in the last heat, 6-5.

Updated figures for our two semifinalists in this heat:

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, tie, votes for, votes against, votes difference
Lemonchick: 15, 5, 0, 0, 38, 14, +24
LemonMacPhisto: 13, 4, 1, 0, 34, 23, +11.

Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: Lemonchick

pic

God's Away On Business

Coming up with this concept has been far more difficult than I expected it to be. In my opinion it is still very loose and incredibly unclear, and I know that that might be a great disadvantage. However, I've thought about it for about two weeks and I can't seem to come up with anything more coherent so I'm just writing it the way it sounds in my mind. I see my playlist as divided into two parts: tracks 1-7 describe the setting where my character(s) live. A dark, rainy, impoverished town; a place for bankrupt deserted carnivals, circus freaks, orphans, cheap prostitutes, and back-alley abortions. While each one of these stories is clearly dark and miserable, I've always found something extremely fascinating about that dark side of human nature. Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows" summarizes these themes in an almost ironic and humorous tone. R.E.M's drive serves as a transition into what I consider to be the second part of my playlist. The mood and atmosphere is much more introvertive and personal...I almost see it as being narrated by a young man who has attempted to escape the world of darkness and corruption described in the first half. However, it is almost as though the world he encounters outside is just as dark and even more cold and desolate than the one he previously escaped. His loneliness is evident and his longing for love and something real makes his situation extremely dark and hopeless. There is a glimmer of hope and maybe the slight memory of a long-lost love (No One Would Riot For Less), but this is overshadowed by the reality of his situation..which eventually ends in death (Lacrimosa). I guess I chose the title "God's Away On Business" because I couldn't come up with anything better myself, and because it seems to summarize the themes of corruption, loneliness, and darkness of my playlist. I'm terribly sorry if none of this makes sense, I hope that people enjoy this playlist and if anyone is able to come up with a better concept for it I'd love to hear it ;)

1. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - "The Carny" - Your Funeral...My Trial (8:02)
2. Laurent Petitgand - "Zirkusmusik (Circus Music)" - Wings Of Desire: Original Soundtrack (5:38)
3. The Decemberists - "The Chimbley Sweep" - Her Majesty (2:53)
4. Tom Waits - "God's Away On Business" - Blood Money (2:59)
5. The Dresden Dolls - "Mandy Goes To Med School" - Yes, Virginia (4:39)
6. Pulp - "This Is Hardcore" - This Is Hardcore (6:25)
7. Leonard Cohen - "Everybody Knows" - I'm Your Man (5:32)
8. R.E.M - "Drive" - Automatic For The People (4:31)
9. Jurgen Knieper - "Urstromtal (The Glacial Valley)" - Wings Of Desire: Original Soundtrack (4:04)
10. Radiohead - "Exit Music (For A Film)" - OK Computer (4:24)
11. Pink Floyd - "The Final Cut" - The Final Cut (4:51)
12. U2 - "The Unforgettable Fire" - The Unforgettable Fire (4:55)
13. Bright Eyes - "No One Would Riot For Less" - Cassadaga (5:12)
14. The Arcade Fire - "My Body Is A Cage" - Neon Bible (4:47)
15. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - "Requiem: Lacrimosa" - Mozart: Requiem (3:27)

Total runtime: 1:12:17

Forum name: LemonMacPhisto

pic

Awakenings

This playlist is basically a hybrid concept album/film idea I've been tinkering with for a while, so what better way to finish it up here? It's a sci-fi-style idea (hence the 2001 and Star Wars references in the cover) about an astronaut lost in space who lands on an emotionally repressed planet in the classic Logan's Run/THX-1138 vein (with the Big Brother government and all). During his stay, he falls in love with a woman and they both experience love for the first time. This ideal awakens all of the repressed emotions in the rest of the people (hey, Awakenings!) and they finally strike back against the tyrannical government, oh man, it's pretty badass. In the end, the astronaut returns home with his girlfriend leaving the planet and its people finally at peace. It'll all make sense when you listen to it, I hope. It sounds a lot better in my head.

(Side note: If this were a movie, the astronaut would be Christian Bale, the girl would be Scarlett Johansson, the evil overlord would be Ralph Fiennes, the bad guy's main flunky is Tim Roth, the resident badass other than the astronaut would be Samuel L. Jackson, and some of the other characters are Zooey Deschanel and Ewan McGregor (partially making up for the eternally-shitty "The Island").

1. David Bowie - "Space Oddity" - Space Oddity (5:17)
2. Pink Floyd - "Astronomy Domine" - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (4:12)
3. Gorillaz - "Intro" - Demon Days (1:03)
4. M83 - "Don't Save Us from the Flames" - Before the Dawn Heals Us (4:16)
5. LCD Soundsystem - "Someone Great" - Sound of Silver (6:25)
6. Thom Yorke - "Analyse" - The Eraser (4:05)
7. Moby - "Porcelain" - Play (4:01)
8. Sigur Rós - "Untitled 1" - ( ) (6:37)
9. U2 - "The First Time" - Zooropa (3:45)
10. Liars - "Drum Gets a Glimpse" - Drum's Not Dead (4:16)
11. Massive Attack - "Teardrop" - Collected (5:30)
12. The Beatles - "Within You, Without You / Tomorrow Never Knows" - Love (3:07)
13. Radiohead - "You and Whose Army?" - Amnesiac (3:09)
14. The Flaming Lips - "Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung" - At War with the Mystics (4:22)
15. Explosions in the Sky - "The Birth and Death of the Day" - All of the Sudden I Miss Everyone (7:49)

Total Time: 1:07:54

UP NEXT: Third Place Game

Competition master list.

Have fun!

I'm surprised if this sticks close, I absolutely loved Lemonchick's list.

It deserves to win.

I actually think it will be close.

Thanks LMP, yours was one of my favourites in the game. :)

This was a really tough call. If I went strictly by songs, I would go with LMP. And he does have a great concept. But I really enjoyed how Lemonchick's playlist flowed, and the concept was fantastic, so she gets my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom