Symphonic Album Mini-Game: Round 1, Heat 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Screwtape2

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Supertracklist

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first heat of the first round of the Symphonic Album Mini-Game. The object of this game is to see which forum member can create the best concept album no longer than 80 minutes.

To kick things off, Screwtape2 will be going up against the Supertracklist. For those who don't know, the Supertracklist was created due to an open spot in the competition, and consists of input from different participants in the game.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: Screwtape2

pic

Playlist Title: The Red Hills House

LJ Entry explaining playlist: http://screwtape2.livejournal.com/8011.html#comments

What is man afraid of more than anything else? Is it death? Is it love? This is the story of a man, a woman and the female orgasm. The fear of which has brought two people together: a female drifter and a man with a car. The woman says, "Take me home." Her finger points to the west and higher. This woman lives in a house surrounded by red rock. The man on the other hand must resist the urge to engage this beauty sexually for fear of the female anatomy. In the orgasm there is a meeting with mortality and the heart of the universe itself. It is the revelation and confession before the dance. It is the soliloquy before the death of stars and children. When listening to the playlist envision the journey either by road of by bed. These are the final moments before the real show.

A Girl- "When I was a child, I used to play in the snow. It was my world and a place where I created. A strange effect followed that. In adulthood, I would chill when I was in the awe of love. Those singular moments would bring shivers. Love is the warm wrapping of another's wings around you. I now bring myself to be frozen in the awe of love with the hope that your wings will wrap me. May our wings bring us under the covers where the outside world is held back. I don't want to be alone anymore."

A Boy- "When I was a child, I almost died in a swimming pool. I've never been that alone in my entire life but I've never been afraid since. The nearest I ever come is when I think about others alone. Love is all I have ever wanted but love brings sex. In the orgasm, there lies the whisper of death and beating heart to silence. Then we're both alone. I don't want to be alone anymore."

A Man- "In a nightmare
To fuck
Too fragile to save the woman
She bleeds a river through the pass
Underfoot
The childhood security of life
In gasps the hand of death on her forehead
Sweat is dangerous
If we go swimming together,
Will I be accused as the murderer
As she is the one who bleeds?"

To touch
To discover
One finger down a cheek
A nose running down the other
Lips opening
Hair put down
Brushed out of a face
A blanket wrapping around
Sealing a moment inside
A kiss
A vow
A promise

A Woman- "Outside there is beautiful sunset. The kind with a purple sky and a gentle explosion of orange as delicate as straw in the wind. It is a moment when all things stop and the demons of the day rest. I miss childhood wonder. Staring at these colorful curtains before Orion comes out to play. It is like love over and over this little marble. I miss falling towards whatever dreams the night may hold. One last breath. One last lover's kiss in the presence of the awe of love. One last smile before the real show."

1. Julee Cruise- "I Float Alone" - Floating In The Night (4:35)
2. Phil Collins- "In The Air Tonight" - Face Value (5:32)
3. Miles Davis- "Miles Runs Down The Voodoo" - Bitches Brew (14:03)
4. U2- "Mysterious Ways" - Achtung Baby (4:04)
5. The Smiths- "How Soon Is Now?" - Meat Is Murder (6:41)
6. Pink Floyd- "Set Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" - Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd (5:20)
7. Peter Gabriel- "San Jacinto" - Security (6:34)
8. Genesis- "In The Cage" - Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (8:12)
9. Kate Bush- "The Dreaming" - The Dreaming (4:41)
10. Ennio Morricone - "The Ecstacy Of Gold" - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Soundtrack (3:24)
11. Utopia- "Overture: Mountaintop and Sunrise/Communion With the Sun" - Ra (6:54)
12. Yo-Yo Ma- "The Eternal Vow" - Classic Yo-Yo (3:00)
13. DeVotchKa- "How It Ends" - Little Miss Sunshine Soundtrack (5:39)

Total Time: 1:18:38

Forum Name: Supertracklist

pic

Tracklist Title: Just One Victory

I want to dedicate this playlist to someone on the board who is one of the bravest and kindest people I have ever met. I also want to dedicate it to everyone who has had a family member deal with alcoholism. It is a terrible disease. My thoughts are with everyone on Interference who has been affected by it. :hug:

This is a story about forgiveness, family and love. This is a story of a man trying to get that one victory over his alcoholism with the help of his daughter. It is surreal and symbolic. The song by song explanation can be found in the LJ entry. http://screwtape2.livejournal.com/9240.html

Embracing on a broken life. A victory that comes with a price. A life without fire and passion...is not worth living. Kill yourself before receiving...something out of all this screaming. Together lifeless creatures shall survive.

It's only human to die. A daughter without a father is dry. So in water let flames arise. It's only human to never rise...when one drowns the others shall die. So it is only human to take the dive. There will be no one left alive...if a daughter does not give her life. If a daughter does not give her life than it's murder. A father must see a human through the spirits that flow and survive. It's only human to learn through the pain of our children. Through the pain of a scarred daughter. Through the last breath in water...

1. Angelo Badalamenti - "Laura Palmer's Theme" -Twin Peaks (4:52)
2. The Smiths - "Meat Is Murder" - Meat Is Murder (6:07)
3. Blam Blam Blam - "There Is No Depression In New Zealand' - It's Bigger Than Both Of Us - NZ singles 1979-82 - Part 1 (3:18)
4. Cynic - "Veil of Maya [2004 Remix]" - Focus (5:21)
5. Utopia - "Freak Parade" - Todd Rundgren's Utopia (10:28)
6. REM - "Find The River" - Automatic For The People (3:49)
7. Orphaned Land - "Ocean Land (The Revelation)" - Mabool (The Story of the Three Sons of Seven) (4:43)
8. Pink Floyd - "The Niles Song" - More (3:26)
9. Peter Gabriel - "Intruder" - Melt (4:53)
10. Tori Amos - "Silent All These Years" - Little Earthquakes (4:11)
11. Aimee Mann - "Choice In The Matter" - I'm With Stupid (3:13)
12. Kate Bush - "Get Out Of My House" - The Dreaming (5:25)
13. Ennio Morricone - "Trio" - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (5:03)
14. U2 - "Bad" - The Unforgettable Fire (6:09)
15. Todd Rundgren - "Don't You Ever Learn?" - Todd (6:06)

Total Time: 1:17:04

UP NEXT: liamcool vs. corianderstem

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Damn this is a tough opening round. I thought I would go with Screwtape, but honestly, I prefer the Supertracklist - though the fact Screwtape came up with the concept and put the submissions into an order means that I feel like I'm somewhat voting for him anyway. Screwtape is exceptional at creating concepts that work cohesively and flow, so this one really did come down to how much I enjoy the songs on each. The Supertracklist wins there. And come on, There Is No Depression In New Zealand into Veil Of Maya? I never would have thought of doing that, but it's great.

And if anyone wants to know the context behind There Is No Depression In New Zealand, I'd be more than happy to go into detail. :wink:

It's almost like Screwtape is competing against himself here.

The Supertracklist is very well done, much better than the Prog Island one. But I'll have to go with Screwtape here. I love the concept.

phanan said:
The Supertracklist is very well done, much better than the Prog Island one.

That's for sure. When I did the Prog Island one, I was simply overwhelmed by the volume and diversity of the material, so I simply tried to create a sonic flow. I think it thus fell victim to the same failing many supergroups (on which the supertracklist was based) do: they have many incredible elements, but there's a failure to reconcile them and create cohesion.

Screwtape, however, has made what I would consider the Transatlantic of supertracklists: he's brought many very, very different elements together to create a cohesive whole. While he had much less to work with, which probably made life easier, he also had a greater stylistic variety and I'm impressed with how he managed to thematically create a sense of cohesion and purpose that the Prog Island's supertracklist lacked.

So full credit to Screwtape for a job very well done. :up:

(I am, by the way, rather interested in reactions to the Cynic and Orphaned Land tracks. I wish the Horde song I'd submitted had made the cut too.)

The Supertracklist has some fine tracks, but it also has death metal, which I find my body doesn't tolerate well.

I'm voting for Screwtape's for the quality of the songs.

I'll take the Supertracklist this time out. Screwtape's style doesn't work well for just a single album, IMO. There's just not enough room for variety.

I have to go with Screwtape here. Both are well done, but I love his execution for his concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom