Swampy Summit, Otago Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, Ian, you have a hard-on for Christchurch. I love the South Island. But let's level.

You know how I went to that conference in Christchurch late last year? It was really funny whenever I got drunk and ended up in a circle of people not from Christchurch. Because once we confirmed this fact, all these jokes came out. As one guy summed it up: "remember how we used to make all those jokes about how Christchurch was shit and racist? And then the earthquake happened? It's still shit and racist but the earthquake happened."

(But I had a lovely time there, don't get me wrong.)

I probably have overly positive memories as I slept in a single bed with a girl who had interesting ways to wake me up.

You've done a convincing job.

I regret all of it. I wish I had never seen the term 'space cake' in my life. Fuck's sake.

...you've never seen the term space cake? Actually my mate from SA tells me it's "mould cake" there.

And I'm not sure whether to be pleased or worried that I can post on this forum without giving away that I've had seven pints (not tonight, but it's happened).

The last time I was in Christchurch I stayed with this guy who's my... great-uncle? Or something.

Oh my god, can somebody buy him a vacuum cleaner.

I don't pretend I'm a clean freak but I like my place to look presentable, FUCK ME.

Guys, have you noticed that the Sex Party and the HEMP Party are running a combined Senate ticket in most states.

Don't mind me, I've written 70 words in an hour stuck on this damn assignment.

Bernard Sumner could have demanded to piss into the ears of every single person present and they would have paid extra for the privilege. The hottest, most energetic crowd I've ever been a part of.

Best show ever? No! The first half dragged on a bit - the new album is not that good. But Bizarre Love Triangle got the entire Sydney Opera House out of their seats, and they refused to sit for the rest of the night.

I got to hear Ceremony, which meant I was choked up at the second song of the set. They played 1963, which I accidentally spoiled for myself when they played it in Japan for the first time since 2011 (whoops!), and they played Love Will Tear Us Apart.

For such a sad, desperate song, it has become a god damned anthem. Every word, screamed by everyone in the audience. Everyone left their seats and ran to the barricade. IN AN OPERA HOUSE.

The woman next to me had smiles on her face for the entire song, until the guitar break in the middle, when the video screen showed a single image of Ian Curtis. Her face immediately went from joy to sorrow.

Shame they played another song after it, because that song has become a true showstopper. Holy fuck.

:up:

So they do still play some Joy Division stuff? I thought that had fallen by the wayside, especially with Hooky funding his retirement through Joy Division shows (the Unknown Pleasures gig a few years ago was amazing, for the record).

What the fuck is that image by the #QLDER hashtag on Twitter tonight? Is that meant to be a canetoad? Looks like a goddamn turd, which sums up the state rather well.

I skipped out on the Hooky gigs because I felt they were exploitative! I'm a fucking idiot!

They play Love Will Tear Us Apart. They did Atmosphere in Japan - I'm expecting to see that tomorrow when the play with the orchestra. They did Transmission and Isolation in 2014, Shadowplay and Heart and Soul in 2012.

The new album is not that good, all mid-tempo Barney rock - and they played seven songs off of it. If their strategy was to lull the audience into a daze for the first half, and then play to a totally energetic audience for the second half, it worked!

Tomorrow night'll be interesting. Do they play the same set with an orchestra doubling the synth parts? Or do they go in a more interesting direction?

I'm an idiot who loves Joy Division too much, guys - if you go in an interesting direction, there are two shows I don't have tickets for...yet...

To be honest I haven't listened to New Order beyond the first couple of albums and the occasional single. Just not as interesting to me as Joy Division.

The Hooky gigs do seem like a blatant cashgrab, but the first time around it felt genuine. I didn't go to the subsequent tours, though of course Unknown Pleasures is my favourite anyway. I think that tour was before him and the rest of New Order completely fell apart too?

Some people opened up a nightclub in Adelaide called the Hacienda. First thought, Hooky's gonna be pissed.

To be honest I haven't listened to New Order beyond the first couple of albums and the occasional single. Just not as interesting to me as Joy Division.

The Hooky gigs do seem like a blatant cashgrab, but the first time around it felt genuine. I didn't go to the subsequent tours, though of course Unknown Pleasures is my favourite anyway. I think that tour was before him and the rest of New Order completely fell apart too?

New Order is just danceable as fuck, thats all that is for that band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom