Suzanne Vega

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
Has she done anything interesting lately? She's coming to my town (with Marc Cohn) and it happens to be on my birthday and I was wondering if she and Marc Cohn are worth $42 and a birthday night. I saw her way way back when and she was great but it's been so long I wonder if it would be really good or depressing and very uncool.

Hmm, I'd love to see her. I never did, not sure if she even really toured here. I don't know if she has done much lately, which leaves the question of whether she'd do a lot of her old stuff, or new songs which haven't seen the light of day for a few good reasons..If she does end up not being great, is Marc Cohn enough to justify a night out for you?

Good question. And I have no clue. Looking forward to any information people have about what SV's been up to.

Angela Harlem said:
If she does end up not being great, is Marc Cohn enough to justify a night out for you?

:lol: Judging from the enthusiasm the topic has generated, I'm guessing I'm not seeing Suzanne Vega on my birthday.

She had a single called 'Blood Makes Noise' in the early 90s that was pretty cool. It may sound a little dated now, but I quite liked it back in the day.

joyfulgirl said:

:lol: Judging from the enthusiasm the topic has generated, I'm guessing I'm not seeing Suzanne Vega on my birthday.

:lol: I'd go if I was you, anyway. But I have only heard of Marc Cohn, but dont know him...Then again, that's a lot of money for a show there, isn't it?

And mofo are you joking? I'm being very gullible today :D
HG is he joking? He must be lol

Angela Harlem said:

:lol: I'd go if I was you, anyway. But I have only heard of Marc Cohn, but dont know him...Then again, that's a lot of money for a show there, isn't it?

And mofo are you joking? I'm being very gullible today :D
HG is he joking? He must be lol

Hehe, I don't think he is. But I know he'd know her if he heard her. :wink:

Doesn't Marc Cohn sing 'Walking in Memphis'? I love that song, but that's the only one of his I know.

HeartlandGirl said:

Hehe, I don't think he is. But I know he'd know her if he heard her. :wink:

Doesn't Marc Cohn sing 'Walking in Memphis'? I love that song, but that's the only one of his I know.

He would definitely know her if he heard her. She was huge for a few minutes. That Luka video ran like 24/7.

Yes, Marc Cohn is the Walking in Memphis man. I used to know the guy that played organ on that song, lol...

joyfulgirl said:
He would definitely know her if he heard her. She was huge for a few minutes. That Luka video ran like 24/7.

I remember that. I was in the fourth grade, and even I wanted to die from hearing that song so many times.

people only like mark cohn when they occasionally hear that song on the easy listening station.

if you live in memphis and have half a brain, you are so bloody sick of that song. :mad:

intedomine said:
Is she the one who sung that enchanting song....

"Marlene on the wall"

That's her. It's a B-Side on the Cheap Thrills single, with an even more accoustic version of Toms Diner than was released as a single.

I'm rather shocked at mofo. There's a couple of people in here who I take it for granted will know at least something about any artist mentioned. He is one of them :lol:
But then I never knew Marc Cohn did the Walking In Memphis song, even though just yesterday I was listening to it on the radio and thinking I had to find out who sang it, because I could never remember lol.

Angela Harlem said:

I'm rather shocked at mofo. There's a couple of people in here who I take it for granted will know at least something about any artist mentioned. He is one of them :lol:

It is odd. I'm a little worried about him but hopefully it's just a momentary blip. :wink: Perhaps a visual aid would help.

suzanne%20vega%20solitude%20standing.jpg

daygloeyes2 said:
I liked her song Caramel, which was on the Closer soundtrack.

Ah, now I think I remember hearing that (I loved that movie). That's a good sign.

Solitude Standing is the only full record of hers that I own. Great album though.
You having second thoughts about the show, joyful?

Eh, not really. I think I'm going to pass. Sometimes in this town mediocre things start to look good because there is such a dearth of truly good music that comes through here that I find myself going to things I'd never otherwise consider, you know, B-list people who were great 15 years ago like Michelle Shocked or, now, Suzanne Vega. But the singer-songwriter thing only works for me today when it's drop dead brilliant. They have to be like Tori Amos or Damien Rice, or of course the recent Springsteen solo tour, or Jeff Tweedy from Wilco when he does solo gigs, or else I get bored.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom