Supertramp Appreciating Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prog :drool:

Roger Hodgson is an amazing musician. One of the most underrated of the 70's prog movement. Crisis? What Crisis? is my favorite album by them. Even In The Quietest Moments in close second.

Hide In Your Shell, Sister Moonshine, Even In The Quietest Moments and Just A Normal Day. :combust:

A truly underrated band. Supertramp has my full appreciation. :drool:

love_u2_adam said:
:combust:

roger called me a pretty girl:combust:

:combust:

Oh yeah? Roger took one of my requests, laughing at the enthusiastic way I screamed it out. :combust: Okay, yours is better.

Great band. I don't think they get half the credit they deserve, partly because they're associated with their poppier sound of the late 70s / early 80s (which is great, but some people just can't get past it). Roger wrote some fantastic music and lyrics. Rick?...not so much. :yuck: I usually skip Rick's songs, although he did write a few that I love. My faves: Asylum, Babaji, Breakfast In America, Brother Where You Bound (the ONLY post-Hodgson song I like, and only because David Gilmour plays on it), Child Of Vision, Crime Of The Century, Don't Leave Me Now, Dreamer, Easy Does It, Even In The Quietest Moments, Fool's Overture, Goodbye Stranger, Hide In Your Shell, It's A Long Road, Know Who You Are, The Logical Song, Lord Is It Mine, Nothing To Show, Rosie Had Everything Planned, School, Sister Moonshine, A Soapbox Opera, Take The Long Way Home, Try Again.

Roger's great in concert. Saw him from third row last year. :drool: I can honestly say it was the most amusing show I've ever been to. He jokes all the time between songs! Such a sweet, funny man.

GibsonGirl said:

Oh yeah? Roger took one of my requests, laughing at the enthusiastic way I screamed it out. :combust: Okay, yours is better.

Great band. I don't think they get half the credit they deserve, partly because they're associated with their poppier sound of the late 70s / early 80s (which is great, but some people just can't get past it). Roger wrote some fantastic music and lyrics. Rick?...not so much. :yuck: I usually skip Rick's songs, although he did write a few that I love.

You two are so lucky. :drool:

You're right about Supertramp not getting enough credit. I think it was more the fact that they weren't able to reach the prog stardom of Pink Floyd, King Crimson and so on. When the pop came they couldn't find a spot in that part of the musical landscape either. They were a spectacular band that deserved more recognition.

I think Roger outshined Rick a lot but Rick's vocals on most songs were on par with Roger's. Asylum, Downstream, Poor Boy and others are reflective of Rick's talent. That said, Roger is amazing and I'd love to see him live.

Living in a city where it seems like every third song played on classic rock radio is Supertramp, I do indeed appreciate Supertramp.

one of the best ever bands, what more can you add??
Simply amazing...........................

I've heard Roger is coming out with a solo project, if I don't remember bad

BonosLil'Pal94 said:
^:up: I don't know if we own any of their stuff, and I only know a few songs, but I'd probably know more songs if I heard them :)

Ask mom and dad to get you Crime Of The Century or Breakfast In America. Great albums. :up: If you like either of those, Even In The Quietest Moments would be a good third choice.

We probably have them on vinyl somewhere :wink:

I did get to see them tour in the early 80s - can't remember which tour/album. Probably Breakfast In America.

I think the big deal back then was to get the Mobile Fidelity vinyl pressing of 'Crime Of The Century'.

Maybe Maddy should start making her Christmas list now :lol:

ETA: Now listening to Hide In Your Shell. I miss the old faves. May have to restock...

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

Ask mom and dad to get you Crime Of The Century or Breakfast In America. Great albums. :up: If you like either of those, Even In The Quietest Moments would be a good third choice.

Best three albums they have, at least I think. Sure, Breakfast In America is more pop-oriented, but what a great pop record it was, especially in 1979.

phanan said:

Best three albums they have, at least I think. Sure, Breakfast In America is more pop-oriented, but what a great pop record it was, especially in 1979.

Agreed. :up: The other Hodgson/Davies era albums feature some very fine tunes, but I think those three are by far the most consistent. If all pop music could be as good as Breakfast In America, I think I'd hold the genre in far higher regard. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better pop song than The Logical Song. "I said now watch what you say! *clap clap* They'll be calling you a radical!"

Hell, this thread has put me into a Supertramp mood. iTunes marathon time! "If we only had time, only had time for yoooooouuuuuu..."

I'm jealous, Lila! :sad: :wink: Could have been the farewell tour with Roger in '83 that you saw... Does this stage setup look familiar at all? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3FNa14FJqo

Not a bad band by any stretch of the imagination, but they do get annoy after a while.

I confess I used to think: Scooter's Logical Song > Supertramp's Logical Song

But then I grew up

Ok, I'm now the proud owner of 'Crime of the Century' and 'Breakfast in America' on CD :D

However, I still don't have the song 'Give A Little Bit'. Can anyone help a sistah out? :shifty: :shh:

Screwtape2 said:
Prog :drool:

Hide In Your Shell, Sister Moonshine, Even In The Quietest Moments and Just A Normal Day. :combust:

Played 'Crime of the Century' several times this week, remembering why it's so awesome :drool: But for some reason, Hide In Your Shell keeps standing out for me. I need to crank it when no one's around. It just really moves me. I'll have to (re)learn all the words (I'm bad with words, even some U2 songs :reject: ) Just wanted to post & bump the thread too :D

Haven't even opened Breakfast in America yet

Back
Top Bottom