Stupid Lawsuits...These are REAL!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonoFox1

Blue Crack Supplier
Earth to Blue Crack to Planet Fierce and back agai
Since someone posted a couple of dumb lawsuits in the dumb birthday thread, but I have a desk calander with a stupid lawasuit a day::

Share yours if you knw of any :)

'Jackass' Sued by a Real Jack Ass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Montana man has sued media giant Viacom, saying the MTV show "Jackass" plagiarized his name, infringed on the trademark and copyright o his name and defamed his good character.

The plaintiff's name is Jack Ass. That's right, that is now his legal name. He changed his name from Bob Craft to Jack Ass in 1997, he says, in order to raise awareness about the dangers of drunken driving.

"Jackass," which premiered on MTV in 2000, features a group of guys performing ludicrous and sometimes dangerous stunts. It was made into a movie in 2002.

In the suit against Viacom, which owns MTV, Jack Ass claims the conglomerate "is liable for injury to my reputation that I have built and defamation of my character which I have worked so hard to create."

This Jack Ass, not to be confused with the TV version, says he changed his name after his brother and a friend were killed in a single-vehicle car accident several years ago. He now works to promote responsible choices and designated-driver programs.

He claims that "Jackass" committed "trademark and copyright infringement on my legal name" and on a cartoon character, called Andi Ass, that he created to help spread his message.

He's seeking at least $10 million in damages.

Source: CNN.com.

--what a dumb ass!!:lol:

Barbie Doll Dragged Into Court.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A British dollmaker, who turned Barbie into a partly nude "Dungeon Doll" complete with rubber bondage dress and helmet, did not appear to violate the copyrights of Mattel Inc., a judge said.

The judge's ruling permitted a lawsuit filed by Mattel to go forward but said there did not appear to be sufficient evidence for the toymaker to win. The judge wrote in her ruling that the doll is "quite different from that typically appearing on Mattel's products for children." The parody appears to pose no threat to sales of Barbie dolls and thus does not seem to violate the company's copyright, the judge concluded.

Angry Anna Fans Sue Penthouse for $8.99.

Two Chicago attorneys have filed a class action lawsuit against Penthouse magazine, saying their two clients shelled out $8.99 each for a copy of the magazine to see tennis sensation Anna Kournikova without her racket and tennis outfit. Don't these lawyers have anything better to do with their time than to sue over eight dollars and ninety nine cents? And a class action lawsuit to boot?

Allegedly, the plaintiffs were "distressed" to find out the naked woman was not Kournikova and they each want their money back.

Is that all they really want? I mean, come on, why bother filing a lawsuit to recover a measly $8.99? After all, the filing fee for the lawsuit is more than the amount being sought -- or is it?

Critics of the burgeoning class action law practice say lawsuits like these routinely offer chump change for the plaintiffs but in many cases provide million-dollar bounties for their lawyers.

The two Chicago attorneys who filed the suit are Aron D. Robinson and Boris Parad. Their clients, Vadim Levin and Alex Sheyngis, are of Russian descent and according to the lawsuit, bought copies of the magazine hoping to see more of their fellow countrywoman.

As early as April 26, Kournikova had warned Penthouse that the photos taken by a jewelry salesman of a naked woman on a Florida beach were not her. But the magazine went ahead with a campaign hyping the issue and printing 1.2 million copies of the magazine, double the usual run, the lawsuit states.

"The sales and circulation of Penthouse magazine have been diminishing," the suit states. "At its peak, circulation was approximately 5 million a month. More recently, circulation has declined to about 650,000 per month."

Penthouse went ahead with distributing the magazines until Kournikova and the woman actually photographed, Judith Soltesz-Benetton, daughter-in-law of fashion designer Luciano Benetton, both sued. Penthouse reportedly settled out of court with both women, issued apologies and destroyed what few copies of the magazine that had not been sold.

The suit filed was filed in the class action hotbed of America -- in Cook County Circuit Court. The lawsuit seeks damages for the deceived customers and, of course, attorneys' fees.

Talk about a racket!

Source: Chicago Sun-Times.

OMG!!:lmao:

A Little Too Much Booty.

Meredith Berkman, seeking $50 million, filed one of the first anti-fat lawsuits against the manufacturer of a snack food named Pirate's Booty. It looks like eating too much Pirate's Booty had added too much booty to Ms. Berkman's booty.

In December, 2001, the Good Housekeeping Institute tested Pirate's Booty, which is basically flavored puffed rice, and found that it contained 147 calories and 8.5 grams of fat, while its label said it contained only 120 calories and 2.5 grams of fat.

The manufacturer, Robert's American Gourmet Foods (a subsidiary of Keystone Foods), blamed the problem on a change in its manufacturing process and immediately recalled the product from store shelves.

Nearly four months after the recall, Berkman filed a $50 million class-action lawsuit against Robert's Foods, claiming "emotional distress" and "weight gain...mental anguish, outrage and indignation." The complaint claims to represent all consumers who ruined their diets and had to spend more time at the gym because they ate mislabeled Pirate's Booty.

We've Got A Tiger By The Tail.

It was only a matter of time. After all, with hundreds of thousands of lawyers on the prowl, this catfight was inevitable.

The Exxon Oil Company has been using their "Whimsical Tiger" mascot in advertising since 1959.

Kellogg's has been using the "Tony the Tiger" mascot to sell corn flakes since 1952.

Now, Kellogg is suing Exxon for trademark infringement. "The Kellogg's tiger and Exxon tiger have peacefully co-existed for 30 years now," says Exxon's chief marketing executive. "Their suit makes no sense." Yes it does, counters Kellogg. Exxon is now selling branded food items in its gas stations, and "we are not going to allow Exxon to misuse this valuable Kellogg equity and confuse consumers," said a Kellogg spokesman.

Exxon says customers are intelligent enough to keep the companies separate. "No one has come into our stores asking for Kellogg's gasoline. And I've not seen any evidence that anyone has gone into a grocery store looking for Exxon cereal."

Source: AP.

Trying To Milk The System.

Norman Mayo, who suffered a stroke because his arteries were stopped up from years of chugging milk, sued the milk industry because the containers didn't carry a warning about fat and cholesterol.

"I drank milk like some people drink beer or water. I've always loved a nice cold glass of milk, and I've drank a lot of it." Mayo, undoubtedly no relation to the brothers who founded the medical clinic, sued the Safeway supermarket chain and the Dairy Farmers of Washington in federal court.

"If tobacco products can be required to have warning labels, why not dairy products?" said Mayo. "I think milk is just as dangerous as tobacco. It's my opinion that the dairy industry's to blame. They push their dairy products without warning you of the hazards."

Alas, the self-proclaimed milk-a-holic, was disappointed when a federal judge threw out his lawsuit against the milk industry.

Last edited:
Will The Real George Costanza Please Stand Up?

The Appellate Division has upheld the dismissal by the New York State Supreme Court of a claim brought against the creators, producers and broadcaster of the "Seinfeld" television series.

It seems that a plaintiff by the name of Michael Costanza asserted that the character of George Costanza in the TV sitcom 'Seinfeld' was in fact based on himself.

The fictional George Costanza, a long-time friend of lead character Jerry Seinfeld, is constantly having problems with poor employment situations, disastrous romantic relationships, conflicts with his parents and general self-absorption. The interplay between George Costanza and the actors in the series has been responsible in some measure for the great success of the series.

In support of his claim that his name and likeness are being appropriated, the plaintiff Costanza pointed to similarities between him and the George Costanza character.

Both are short, fat and bald; both knew Jerry Seinfeld from college and both came from Queens. Plaintiff asserts that the self-centered nature and unreliability of the George Costanza character are attributed to him -- and this humiliates him.

The lawsuit contended that the defendants used his name and likeness without his permission, that they invaded his privacy and that he was portrayed in a negative, humiliating light.

And, based on the court's findings to dismiss the case, it looks like they're both losers as well.

Source: New York Law Journal, 01-26-2001, "Court Upholds Dismissal of Claims Against 'Seinfeld' Creators."

Carek1230 said:
Most lawsuits are stupid and a waste of the court's time

Do you really think this is true?

Or are you speaking only about what the public thinks of when they think about lawsuits - basic tort actions?

In my contract law course we had to look at a case study where a woman sued Arthur Murray (dance studio chain) b/c an employee had told her that she could be a great dancer and after years of practice, she never won any competitions.

Liesje said:
In my contract law course we had to look at a case study where a woman sued Arthur Murray (dance studio chain) b/c an employee had told her that she could be a great dancer and after years of practice, she never won any competitions.

Oh Granny Vokes.
My contracts professor did a 10 minute impression of her when we did that case...it was funny for the first 3. :|

Is that supposed to be a dumb lawsuit though? The dance instructor wooed her, lied to her, and sold her more hours of dance lessons than she probably could have used in the rest of her life, costing her something like 30 thousand dollars.

Haha, I don't remember that part! I guess as far as we were concerned we had to decide whether him saying "you could be a champion dancer" constituted a contractual obligation or whatever. But remember Ellen, this was the law class I took during the World Series. I think I went....three times?

Ultraviolet Light said:

Oh Granny Vokes.
My contracts professor did a 10 minute impression of her when we did that case...it was funny for the first 3. :|

Is that supposed to be a dumb lawsuit though? The dance instructor wooed her, lied to her, and sold her more hours of dance lessons than she probably could have used in the rest of her life, costing her something like 30 thousand dollars.

who are you? :wink:

Shrimp sparks $13m lawsuit

January 13, 2006 - 8:03AM

The family of a US man is seeking $US10 million ($13.26 million) in damages, claiming he died from a neck injury months after ducking to avoid a shrimp tossed by a hibachi chef at a Japanese restaurant.

Lawyer Andre Ferenzo said in opening statements in the New York state Supreme Court yesterday that Jerry Colaitis, 43, wrenched his neck when he ducked to avoid the tossed prawn.

Colaitis, of Long Island, near New York, then died from complications caused by neck surgery he required afterward, Ferenzo said.

The incident occurred in January 2001. Colaitis went to a chiropractor and three neurosurgeons, and underwent surgery at the New York University Medical Centre in June, 2001, Ferenzo said. That November Colaitis was hospitalised with high fever and died the next day.

Charles Connick, a lawyer for Benihana, contended it was unlikely that a chef who works for tips would toss food at customers after being asked not to, as Ferenzo claimed.

Even so, he said, the cause of Colaitis' death was an infection or neck injury unrelated to the shrimp, Newsday reported yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom