Stump the Pink Floyd Guru!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well like I said, nobody short of the band themselves (and maybe not even then) know for sure. It's very sketchy. And I've got it under good authority that Rick did NOT play on Terminal Frost.

Mirrorball Man said:
And the book I mentioned is called the Pink FLoyd Encyclopedia.
I have a number of resources that list who plays what on Beatles tracks, and they tend to contradict each other a lot. Keep in mind that they rely on the memories of people who were there and on guesswork.
DaveC said:
And I've got it under good authority that Rick did NOT play on Terminal Frost.
Do be more specific.

The owners (Sandy & Joe) of the biggest Pink Floyd website, Pink Floyd & Company (the forums of which I am also a member), have connections to band members, and have informed me that Richard Wright did not play on Terminal Frost. Apparently TF was one of the very first tracks recorded; Rick did not rejoin until late in the sessions.

You cannot be stumped. :grumpy: :tsk: I was getting ready to try a See Emily Play question but I see you even know that! I did think he was crazy though. Wasn't he put away for several years? Didn't he go crazier after too much tripping and didn't he give acid to his cats? "That cat's something I can't explain.." :huh:

U2Kitten said:
You cannot be stumped. :grumpy: :tsk: I was getting ready to try a See Emily Play question but I see you even know that! I did think he was crazy though. Wasn't he put away for several years? Didn't he go crazier after too much tripping and didn't he give acid to his cats? "That cat's something I can't explain.." :huh:

Like I said, you can't beat me... :wink:

He wasn't crazy to the point of actual lunacy. He became very mentally unstable, prone to tantrums, and outright laziness. Many times he would go on stage and not even sing or play a single note. One of the shows he just went up and sat in front of the drums for the whole second set. He would become catatonic for long periods of time. Nick said that "Syd didn't know where he was half the time". At one concert all he did was detune his guitar and rattle the loose strings together. He began to take enormous amounts of mandrax to counter the sleep loss as a result of acid use. He began to beat up his girlfriend and was shortly thereafter dismissed from Pink Floyd.

He apparently stopped taking acid in 1969 according to his roommate at the time. He put together a 3-piece band called Stars in 1972, who gigged around Cambridge for a bit, but broke up in March of 72. He went berserk and had a major tantrum sometime in December of 72 and was put in a sanitorium for a while. He was seldom heard from till the famous 1975 incident at Abbey Road Studios when he showed up to visit Pink Floyd while they were doing final playback of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, their song dedicated to him. He declared himself bankrupt in the late 70's and went back to hospital in 81/82 to kick his drug habit (which by this time was mandrax). Afterwards he went to live with his mum in Cambridge, and on her death in 1991, went to live on his own which is what he does today. He is seen from time to time on the streets walking around.

So as you can tell he's not insane by any stretch, just very mentally troubled. Poor Syd. A musical genius shot to hell. :sad:

BTW, I doubt he gave acid to his cats, but to be quite honest it really wouldn't surprise me.

I got my information here, where it is much more detailed: http://www.syd-barrett.it/

Poor Syd.

Last edited:
not really a question with a definite answer, but here goes:

was dark side of the moon written purposefully as an alternative soundtrack to wizard of oz or....?

KhanadaRhodes said:
how does pink floyd relate to duran duran? like, what does one have to do with the other?

I'm not sure. I checked around and found nothing. Bob Ezrin would be the first thing that comes to mind. I assume it's someone having to do with production, like Ezrin, or maybe Allan Parsons, or Storm Thorgerson or someone like that. If I'm wrong with that though, yes, you have stumped me.

was dark side of the moon written purposefully as an alternative soundtrack to wizard of oz or....?

Absolutely NOT. It's just a strange coincidence. It was hard enough mixing everything properly with the tools they had, let alone to get it all to line up perfectly with the film. This is just a coincidence. Although the jury's still out on the Echoes/Space Odyssey thing.

glad to hear you're all right too, dave. :D

DaveC said:
yes, you have stumped me.
:applaud:

i'll tell you the answer, or at least the one i know of anyway. dave gilmour appears on the arcadia album so red the rose. arcadia is a splinter group of duran duran, containing 3/5 of the band (nick, simon, and roger). i'm not sure which song he appears on though, as the liner notes don't specify. but i'll bet it was the song "election day," as they had the famous musicians on the hits they were releasing, and kept the studio musicians on the non-singles.

if you don't believe me, i can scan the little bit of liner notes where they thank him and stuff. or if it's too obscure or whatever and doesn't really count. :wink:

KhanadaRhodes said:
glad to hear you're all right too, dave. :D

:applaud:

i'll tell you the answer, or at least the one i know of anyway. dave gilmour appears on the arcadia album so red the rose. arcadia is a splinter group of duran duran, containing 3/5 of the band (nick, simon, and roger). i'm not sure which song he appears on though, as the liner notes don't specify. but i'll bet it was the song "election day," as they had the famous musicians on the hits they were releasing, and kept the studio musicians on the non-singles.

if you don't believe me, i can scan the little bit of liner notes where they thank him and stuff. or if it's too obscure or whatever and doesn't really count. :wink:

Wow. That is obscure, I'm impressed. I'll send you the prize if you want me to (and it's not ridiculously expensive to do so). E-mail me with name, address, etc. at u2_13@hotmail.com if you want it.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
So, what?s the address of Syd?

I know it, simply because if my contact with people who know the band. However, I would NEVER give it out, even if you paid me. Syd has stated many many times that he simply wants to be left alone and not reminded of his days with Pink Floyd. We all need to respect that and let him live his life as he wishes.

I am not saying that if I gave it to you, you would go stalk him or go try and meet him, but it's not too hard for some nut who's looking for it on Google to spot it on here if I gave it out, and I respect Roger Barrett too much to have that happen.

The closest I can give you is that he lives in the Chelsea Cloisters area of London.

DaveC said:

Like I said, you can't beat me... :wink:

He wasn't crazy to the point of actual lunacy. He became very mentally unstable, prone to tantrums, and outright laziness. Many times he would go on stage and not even sing or play a single note. One of the shows he just went up and sat in front of the drums for the whole second set. He would become catatonic for long periods of time. Nick said that "Syd didn't know where he was half the time". At one concert all he did was detune his guitar and rattle the loose strings together. He began to take enormous amounts of mandrax to counter the sleep loss as a result of acid use. He began to beat up his girlfriend and was shortly thereafter dismissed from Pink Floyd.

He apparently stopped taking acid in 1969 according to his roommate at the time. He put together a 3-piece band called Stars in 1972, who gigged around Cambridge for a bit, but broke up in March of 72. He went berserk and had a major tantrum sometime in December of 72 and was put in a sanitorium for a while. He was seldom heard from till the famous 1975 incident at Abbey Road Studios when he showed up to visit Pink Floyd while they were doing final playback of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, their song dedicated to him. He declared himself bankrupt in the late 70's and went back to hospital in 81/82 to kick his drug habit (which by this time was mandrax). Afterwards he went to live with his mum in Cambridge, and on her death in 1991, went to live on his own which is what he does today. He is seen from time to time on the streets walking around.

So as you can tell he's not insane by any stretch, just very mentally troubled. Poor Syd. A musical genius shot to hell. :sad:

BTW, I doubt he gave acid to his cats, but to be quite honest it really wouldn't surprise me.

I got my information here, where it is much more detailed: http://www.syd-barrett.it/

Poor Syd.

Thanks for the info. It seems like some of the most creative geniuses in the world are kind of off in the head or weird in some way, so there's hope for us all! :D

I also heard he ended up weighing over 400 pounds, so if that answers the question of which size straight jacket if he had one :ohmy: :uhoh: ..sorry;)

Last edited:
DaveC said:

I know it, simply because if my contact with people who know the band. However, I would NEVER give it out, even if you paid me. Syd has stated many many times that he simply wants to be left alone and not reminded of his days with Pink Floyd. We all need to respect that and let him live his life as he wishes.

I am not saying that if I gave it to you, you would go stalk him or go try and meet him, but it's not too hard for some nut who's looking for it on Google to spot it on here if I gave it out, and I respect Roger Barrett too much to have that happen.

The closest I can give you is that he lives in the Chelsea Cloisters area of London.

I agree with about everything you said. I would like the address anyway, but I would never go to see him. After all, I do not think he wants to talk about the past that much.

I really like Barrett?s solo albums. One of my fav songs is the Effervescing Elephant.. and many more great songs to find. His lyrics are just wonderful.. trip to dream dragon!

If you are in contact with people who know the band, maybe you can PM me Gilmour?s or Water?s tel.no. or personal email (if you ask them first)?

Since I am writing my thesis about the production of pop music in regards to the actual state of the music industry, your help would be appreciated.

:wave:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

Thanks for the info. It seems like some of the most creative geniuses in the world are kind of off in the head or weird in some way, so there's hope for us all! :D

I also heard he ended up weighing over 400 pounds, so if that answers the question of which size straight jacket if he had one :ohmy: :uhoh: ..sorry;)

Well it wasn't 400 pounds...he did get pretty fat though, probably around 300 or so at the absolute maximum, but definitely not big enough for 400.

omigor, are you sure? i mean, you don't have to!

Well yeah, I mean, you did get me on that one.

I agree with about everything you said. I would like the address anyway, but I would never go to see him.

Sorry. Not giving it out. Google searches message boards too, and the wrong person looking for it could easily find it and use it for bad means. I do trust you, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to take the risk of somoene finding it and bothering or (god forbid) hurting Mr. Barrett.

you are in contact with people who know the band, maybe you can PM me Gilmour?s or Water?s tel.no. or personal email (if you ask them first)?

Since I am writing my thesis about the production of pop music in regards to the actual state of the music industry, your help would be appreciated.

Well I don't think Sandy and Joe would ever give those out, and I really don't think Dave or Rog would want some stranger calling them, no matter what their intentions. I'd really rather not give them out (even if I did know them, which I don't), for the same reasons as Syd's address. It wouldn't be right. That is their personal private information and it's their right to it. Sorry.

only if you're absolutely sure...

Only if you want it.

That's subjective, but I guess I'll give you my Top Ten (lord this is gonna be hard):

1. Comfortably Numb
2. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
3. Echoes
4. High Hopes
5. Money
6. Dogs
7. Time
8. Us and Them
9. One Of These Days
10. When You're In/The Travel Section (original version of On The Run) - TIE

I'm sure that'll be different by the end of today.

DaveC said:

Well I don't think Sandy and Joe would ever give those out, and I really don't think Dave or Rog would want some stranger calling them

:eyebrow:

yeah god forbid i could be jack the fucking ripper. i dunno about dave, but i am sure rog has the right approach. you come off just a little pretentious, my friend. puh-leeze. :p

:eyebrow:

yeah god forbid i could be jack the fucking ripper. i dunno about dave, but i am sure rog has the right approach. you come off just a little pretentious, my friend. puh-leeze. :p

Woah. Chill out. I'm saying that I wouldn't give them out because it's an invasion of their private lives. I never ever pretended to mean that you're gonna call them and piss them off on a daily basis. It's just that it's theire private life and they have a right to it. I'm sure you don't like it if some stranger just calls you up without permission, and I'm pretty sure that's the general sentiment among the boys of PF.

If I did give it to you, even if you had no malicious intentions, someone searching google for "Roger Waters telephone number" could probably find it quite easily and do some damage.

They have a right to some privacy. Live with it. You're not getting the numbers, or Syd's address. Period.

PS: I really resent you calling me pretentious. I gave you a fair disclaimer and had good intentions of not giving you the information. You jumped a few logical bridges. Don't yell at me and call me names because I don't give you personal private information of some celebrities that have publicly expressed a desire to be left alone. I am respecting their wishes, and for thisI am insulted. I would like an apology.

:angry:

DaveC said:

Well I don't think Sandy and Joe would ever give those out, and I really don't think Dave or Rog would want some stranger calling them, no matter what their intentions. I'd really rather not give them out (even if I did know them, which I don't), for the same reasons as Syd's address. It wouldn't be right. That is their personal private information and it's their right to it. Sorry.

Listen Dave. I have no problem with you giving or not giving away numbers. I can contact the (rest of the) Floyd officially via management if I need to business-wise - even if I would be more interested in talking to Roger Waters.

Anyway, I am not going to waste one thought on apologizing, what for? Your tone, your expressions in the above paragraph came off as pretentious. To me. So why on earth should I lie to you?

The reason why I would not give out Mr. Barrett?s address would be different from the reason why I would not give away Mr. Gilmour?s address. I think Mr. Barrett prefers to not hear of anything music industry related. On the other hand, Mr. Gilmour is part of that business.

Maybe he?d be interested in being interviewed for an academic publication, maybe not, whatever - I?m not a fucking call center trying to get some marketing done get it?

You claimed to know all and everything. This thread is about you, and about the Floyd. It would have been perfectly right, and not a waste of BLAH, to say "No, I can?t give private information away". But no, Mr. DaveC has to dwell on Sandy and Joe and Dave and Rog and omg THE BOYS! (you don?t think they?re men, at their age?)

So, this is why you came off a little pretentious. At least to me.

Get yo groove on.

i'm not a mod here, but i'm just gonna step in. this feuding over giving out pink floyd band members' personal addresses needs to stop. first of all, it is against policy to go posting people's personal information on this website. i've recently had to edit someone's post because they posted someone else's address.

also, given that this is such personal info, dave is well within his rights to not give you the address. hiphop, it doesn't matter if you just want to talk to them, like dave said they have a right to their privacy. i'm not going to force you to apologize but i am going to ask you to stop dwelling on this.

that is all.

Back
Top Bottom