Straya thread part 5 - scallops and slippery dips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy shit this is pretty scary. Apparently one of the terrorists placed a call to Ray Hadley.

Though some of the responses are pretty baffling: Queensland, for example, have put all available police on the streets despite there being no indications of a threat to the state. Hey WA, you better pull over all red cars because I hear one was involved in a robbery in Tasmania.

Guardian reports it was a hostage, not the suspect.

Holy fucking flying dogshit hell guys, have you seen the special edition of the Daily Telegraph? Huge DEATH CULT headline going on about ISIS despite the fact it's not the goddamn ISIS flag. Apparently anything with Arabic is now LOOK AT DEM DETH CULTZ. It's fearmongering at its absolute gutter worst, making people terrified with flagrantly wrong content simply to sell papers.

Where's Mike Moore?

Oh man I've been thinking about that one particular episode ever since this began.

The best thing anyone not directly caught in this incident could do is chill the fuck out and avoid all news until there is, well, news. As axver says, the rest is gutter panic mongering of the nastiest kind.

Everything is making me sick. I have seen some truly awful things online today.

Thankfully, we have Warney to help us.

B43ugJYCEAAWdTL.jpg

I'm as frightened about the likely aftermath as I am about what's currently happening.

Wonder if the Telegraph realise they're doing the terrorist's job for him far better than he could on his own. Wonder if they care.

Not a fucking chance they care. It has made me so fucking angry. Mostly because we'll never get any accountability from the arseholes who put it together. I'd love to see them front up to criticism and get grilled and try to defend it but who gives a fuck when you can just incite more hatred.

Feel so sick for my Muslim friends.

I'm as frightened about the likely aftermath as I am about what's currently happening.

I echo this. I hope that there is a peaceful and amicable enough resolution. Whatever happens, will happen. But if there isn't, Muslims (and anyone of Middle Eastern or Subcontinental appearance) might be more at risk of nasty backlash by the noisy, nasty bogans. It's ghastly.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

There will still be some sort of backlash even if the end of the siege is peaceful, unfortunately. Maybe another Cronulla is not out of the equation.

Yeah this country is nasty and xenophobic enough without any prompts in the first place.

Worth noting that Lakemba mosque had a vigil tonight together with members from Christian and Jewish communities. :)

It's over. Police stormed the building at 2am after shots were reportedly fired. The hostage-taker, a lone crank well known to court reporters, is dead. Two hostages were also killed. :(

I'm not surprised it happened in the early hours, I would've been very surprised if it was still going at this time.

I have to say that the footage of the flashing light from the gunfire in the café as seen from outside was frightening.

That and The Daily Telegraph needs to be held to account, however unlikely. Anyone see Rupert Murdoch's tweet?

That's the thing, that tweet subtly suggests he is rubbing his hands with glee today.

I deleted a few rather uncharitable posts about Rupert and the Daily Telegraph. I think now probably isn't the time for them.

But oh dear Australia, can we please not make a truly horrific situation even worse?

There will still be some sort of backlash even if the end of the siege is peaceful, unfortunately. Maybe another Cronulla is not out of the equation.

Those fucking t-shirts didn't help.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

You'd hope the lone and unrepresentative nature of the (apparently well known to police) hostage taker would stop this becoming too much of a thing.

Of course one might hope in vain.

Back
Top Bottom