Straya thread part 4 - culling the chazzwazzers population

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like having aneurysms, so no I haven't seen the Bolt Report.

You make a good case. It seems most of the other states (and federal parliament) tend to go for your pattern of nine years of one party, ten years of the other, back to the first party for two or three terms, etc., which are pretty long terms in themselves compared to how wildly governments and ministries would fluctuate in the nineteenth century but nothing compared to your Queensland examples.

Just looking at South Australia and they had reasonable fluctuation between Labour/liberalism and conservatism/Liberal Party until the Playford era, although the former seemed to have the upper hand. But then:

1933-65: Liberal, of which most was Playford
1965-93: almost unbroken ALP, with only five years of Liberal

Very Queenslandesque.

yeah it was the Playford era that got me thinking of South Australia. In more recent decades I suspect there is an element of luck. Labor has hung on in South Australia for a long time now, but seemingly by its fingernails. Queensland labor was riding on the coattails of that one big Beattie rabbit-out-of-the-hat-trick in 2001 for its final decade. (it's worth wondering how Labor screwed up so badly that they were in a position to lose just six years after the demise of the Joh era (if not Joh himself who was gone two or so years prior)).

*Still, as 'Labor heroes' go, Wayne Goss made Kevin Rudd look like Bob Hawke.

The SA opposition leader has that really frightening, creepy aura about him. Like an overconfident, smug impersonation of Alan Rickman.

Micallef is fantastic. Earlier this week I saw a taping of an episode of his current TV show. He's bloody good unscripted as well, between takes. Quite brilliant.

Newstopia and Pogram/Program/Programme were great as well - the closest we'll ever get to a Daily Show in Australia. He's the only one I could trust to pull it off

He's from Adelaide too. :up:

I love one of the headlines on the cover of the season one DVD: "Adelaide man has lucky escape - moves to Melbourne".

Micallef is fantastic. Earlier this week I saw a taping of an episode of his current TV show. He's bloody good unscripted as well, between takes. Quite brilliant.

Huh, I was there too, third row in the left section. I went to the filming of the first episode too, and while that one was fun, this week's was really excellent.

Mad As Hell is far and away the best thing on telly at the moment.

Be interesting to see if it gets a run for its money later this year by the next season of Gruen or the new Working Dog show Utopia.

The comments on this article are amazing, 80% of the comments are basically the same sentiment but only paraphrased.

You're just a far leftie extremist, racist, and bleeding heart advocate of reverse discrimination!

Huh, I was there too, third row in the left section. I went to the filming of the first episode too, and while that one was fun, this week's was really excellent.

Tuesday night? I was in the third row on the left too.

Maybe we're the same person?? I was a prat in a purple shirt.

Tuesday night? I was in the third row on the left too.

Maybe we're the same person?? I was a prat in a purple shirt.

Haha holy shit really? I was sitting right at the row's end by the rail, with a gap on my right between me and the other section. Charlotte and I are pretty obvious, between her red hair and my mop of blonde hair, and I was carrying a big backpack. Must admit I wasn't entirely paying attention to what other people were wearing! :lol: We were there with a friend, who was the girl who pointed out that Micallef was wearing a different pin in a clip to the one he was wearing on the night.

Joy Division t-shirt? yeah? I was on the far left of the row; against the rail.

I couldn't believe someone was able to pick up on the different pin. I had no idea. Was my mate in front of me who asked Pope whether he was gonna go back to hosting kid's game shows (which he really should).

I was trying to recall what I wore - yep, black Unknown Pleasures shirt. I like that you remembered and I couldn't! :lol:

If I'd known you were there I'd have said let's go for a pint!

I don't recall Pope's children's game shows, but I think they were from before I moved to Australia. I've been to two Mad As Hell tapings this year and both times it's amazed me the tiny details people spot. At the earlier one (which was for the first show of the year) some guy spotted a crazy continuity error while Micallef was fiddling with the doomsday clock for the intro. Had no idea how on earth he spotted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom