Straya thread part 4 - culling the chazzwazzers population

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First thing that springs to mind is, what about Billy Hughes? Worst prime minister in our history? Really? Can't spare a seat for the Little Digger?

Ok. Sheridan's concerns seem to be mostly concentrated on foreign affairs. I mean he touches on social policy a little, but mostly just to say it was a disaster because, just because, because go fuck yourself.

So foreign policy. Whitlam certainly wasn't alone where recognising the People's Republic of China is concerned. Not at all. It's all a bit overblown probably. Even McMahon would have found himself in the same boat if re-elected probably.

Vietnam. Genuinely have no expertise, so I'll sit that out.

I just realised, every damnation in this article is guilt-by-association. Whitlam's minister talked to, or maybe talked about, talking to so-and-so and... what? What exactly?

Kim Beazley Sr, who had been Whitlam’s education minister, had already resigned over the issue. “It would be inevitable for the Australian Jewish community to regard any such (Iraqi) money as blood money that might be paid for, ultimately, in Israeli blood,” Beazley said.

That might have been an overdramatic judgment, but on any measure for an Australian political leader to seek secret electoral funds from one of the most brutal and bloodthirsty tyrannical regimes the 20th century ever saw was a monstrous moral failing.

One of the most bloodthirsty regimes of the 20th century? Really?

This is your classic hatchet job. Not to claim for a second that Whitlam's government was some unassailable edifice, but stop and think; how many of the gripes in Sheridan's article have anything to do with the policies for which that government was remembered? We get a passing 'well of course university fees were brought back so whatevs', and that's about it. The rest is guilt-by-association.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom