Storm Thorgerson appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
rude_500.jpg

00866.jpg

B000002HR8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

pink-floyd-animals2.jpg

Bury_The_Hatchet.jpg

pf-the_division_bell.jpg

Led_Zeppelin_In_Through_The_Outdoor.jpg

stormthorgerson_3.jpg

PF_sfc_HighHopes.jpg

zephouses8me.jpg

Storm Thorgerson (born 1944 in Potters Bar, Middlesex) is an English graphic designer. He was a key member of the British graphic art group Hipgnosis, and designed many of their most famous single and album covers. Perhaps his most famous designs are those for Pink Floyd.[1] His design for Dark Side of the Moon has been called one of the greatest album covers of all time.[2][3] Many of his designs are notable for their surreal elements. He often places objects out of their traditional contexts, especially with vast spaces around them, to give them an awkward appearance while highlighting their beauty. To quote Thorgerson, "I like photography because it is a reality medium, unlike drawing which is unreal. I like to mess with reality...to bend reality. Some of my works beg the question of is it real or not?"[4] Several books have been devoted to surveying Thorgerson's work over three-plus decades.

I lovvve the Division Bell cover! The whole liner notes is freaking gorgeous! :combust: The album is excellent too!

I prefer the original cover with the clear prism.

The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon-1a.jpg

:drool:

Why did they change it for the Remastered version anyway? Does anyone know?

Zootlesque said:
I prefer the original cover with the clear prism.

The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon-1a.jpg

because you touch yourself at night?:scratch:

:wink:

Zootlesque said:

It's a bit of an annoyance amongst Floyd fans. There was a discussion about this very thing a while back at a forum I visit. Storm likes to change the covers up a bit with each remaster for no apparent reason. Even that cover of WYWH that xavi posted is different to the original. Here, I scaned it in from my copy:

Far superior, no? The white strip added to the remastered version draws the attention away from the brilliant picture, I think.

Storm's worst re-working has to be for the SACD version of DSOTM.

dsotm.jpg

:yuck:

Storm's great, as long as he isn't messing with covers of his that were perfectly decent to begin with.

Maybe GG can confirm this, but I believe that the Animals cover was an original idea of Waters, and that Storm had very little to do with it. In any case, the man's work is nothing short of incredible. I have always loved the artwork for Wish You Were Here and Division Bell.

cdisantis83 said:
Maybe GG can confirm this, but I believe that the Animals cover was an original idea of Waters, and that Storm had very little to do with it.

Yeah Roger came up with the cover. I remembering reading somewhere that the original cover Storm had in mind was a kid with a teddy bear walking in on his parents (who looked like animals) having sex.

Screwtape2 said:
I remembering reading somewhere that the original cover Storm had in mind was a kid with a teddy bear walking in on his parents (who looked like animals) having sex.

:ohmy: Oh man! That would have been one powerful (not to mention controversial) cover! Are you sure about this?

Thanks for the interview link, Screwtape!

Oh yeah, that cover! I've been on that page so many times. Funny how I never noticed that sketch!

cdisantis83 said:
Maybe GG can confirm this, but I believe that the Animals cover was an original idea of Waters, and that Storm had very little to do with it. In any case, the man's work is nothing short of incredible. I have always loved the artwork for Wish You Were Here and Division Bell.

I didn't want to mention it when I first opened the thread, because people think I'm far too obsessed as it is. :wink:

Storm's work with The Mars Volta is also quite interesting. I love the cover for De-loused in the Comatorium:

The_mars_volta-de_loused_in_the_comatorium-2003-cover.jpeg

The alternate cover is just crazy:

MV_afc_JellyHead.jpg

Back
Top Bottom