Stop Press - Footy Thread No. 666

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i really hope Barca win. i'd hate to see Milan in a another final. They're so fucking boring.

Final:
Barca Vs Arsenal :drool:

AC Milan 0 - 1 Barcelona

Ronaldinho - non-existant for the first 55 minutes of the game, bit of a let down really. Then out of the blue plays one of the best passes i've seen all season over the top of the Milan defence for Guily to bang home with a sweet finish. Good game.

milan were dominant in the first half and gilardino had 2 great chances. Barca were dominant in the 2nd. Ambrosini had a great chance to equalise at the end but snatched at it and put it wide.

Come on arsenal!

Flamini has been great for Arsenal at left back. No player has got the better of him at all since he started playing there. However Ashley Cole is playing in a reserve game today and all going well, will be back maybe in time for Spurs this coming weekend, but most likely the 2nd leg in CL next week.

If we do get to the CL final and Cole is fit, he will definitely play.

babyman said:

Yeah!! It looks so! :happy:

You know that I'm a very ANTI-MILAN, but what do you mean with boring? The way they play?

yeh although Kaka and Shev do make them look a bit more exciting it must be said.

Party Boy said:
Flamini has been great for Arsenal at left back. No player has got the better of him at all since he started playing there. However Ashley Cole is playing in a reserve game today and all going well, will be back maybe in time for Spurs this coming weekend, but most likely the 2nd leg in CL next week.

If we do get to the CL final and Cole is fit, he will definitely play.

why did i say the arsenal left back would be marking ronaldinho? :coocoo: sorry about that, it would be the right back or sometimes centerback :der: and however good they have played, especially in europe, they haven't had to defend against anyone like ronaldinho. but then who is like ronaldinho? :drool: Anyone know how long Messi has been injured? since the chelsea game?

that's good that Cole's almost fit, hope it's not to late for England.

narrow, tense 1-0 win last night. One foot in the final. It was important that we didnt concede an away goal last night which we didnt, and secondly taking any kind of lead to Spain. 1-0 is not ideal but its better than 2-1. We can always score goals - if we score one in Spain, Villerreal have to score 3 times which I can't see happening.

9 clean sheets in a row - with a back 4 of Eboue, Toure, Senderos and Flamini. Who would have thought it!

1stepcloser said:

:ohmy:

i thought it was really entertaining

or are you just jealous that united aren't in it still and arsenal are...

:wink:

well i'm obviously not happy that utd went out early, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying a good football game. i do appreciate good football besides just utd games you know :wink:

you really thought it was entertaining?

every time i watch a game at highbury everything seems rushed, the middle of the pitch is overcrowded and there's very little width. which all combines to bore me :shrug:

did you see the man utd - spurs game the other day? that was awesome,(and i dont just mean the result :wink: ) played at an incredible pace but not out of control in any way. one of the best games i've seen this season.

Last edited:
the rockin edge said:

every time i watch a game at highbury everything seems rushed, the middle of the pitch is overcrowded and there's very little width. which all combines to bore me :shrug:

true it does seem rushed on the pitch of Highbury cos it's so small but that'll change next year. The game was played at a fast pace and really arsenal should have had a couple more and villareal should DEFINITELY have had a penalty. most blatant penalty i've seen all year. Good match for the spectator. The 2nd leg will be even more entertaining (shame i'm back at uni then and have to watch it on my crappy little TV :( )

1stepcloser said:

yeh although Kaka and Shev do make them look a bit more exciting it must be said.

This is the hardest thing for me to say, and I would rather eat my tongue, but (unfortunately) Ac Milan plays one of the most beautiful football in the world, a bit more exciting is a bit ungenerous from you ;)
They're a full attack team, beside Kaka and Sheva, you can't forget that they play with Serginho and Cafu on the sides, Seedorf, who is one of the most talented in his place, as much as Gattuso, the soul of the midfield, and Pirlo, who is very offensive and kicks grandious free kicks, plus, Gilardino and Inzaghi who have scored 40 goals together this year....................not to forget Maldini and Nesta in the defense and Brazil's keeper Dida........................
By now, Milan has scored 103 goals through the season, only Barcelona has done more with 111 goals. Just look at what they've done in the Champions League this year, they've kicked ass of Bayern Munich and Olympique Lyonnais, and against Barça everything is still open...........................
Step, they're a pretty spectacular team, you should watch more games from them :wink:

I would have never believed to talk good about Ac Milan one day:mad:
But it's undenieble, it's a question of being fair sometimes...................:wink:

They're a good team no doubt about it. probably the most complete team in the world. Although Stam is leaving in the summer and maldini, Cafu and costacourta are at the end of their careers so they could do with a new defence soon.

i've always preferred Inter though. i don't know why, i just do lol. Which i'm sure you won't complain about!

As for Man United, they really need to sort out their midfield. Ronaldo and Giggs are worthy of any team in my opinion but for the standard of football they need to be playing at to compete against the big boys like chelsea and barcelona they really need another top quality defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder. Gattuso would be perfect for them and riquelme would be very good if the rumours are true. But we'll have to wait and see. Lots of pressure on Fergie this summer to deliver!

P.S. David O'Leary better deliver this summer too :mad:

1stepcloser said:

i've always preferred Inter though. i don't know why, i just do lol. Which i'm sure you won't complain about!

:love: :flirt:

We're the poor side of Milan city :wink:
Die hard fans, but we've totally drowned in the shit this year, everything vanished, once again..........................17 years with no italian title :crazy: I don't know what I would do if we would win one day........................Run naked around the city at least! :wink:

1stepcloser said:

As for Man United, they really need to sort out their midfield. Ronaldo and Giggs are worthy of any team in my opinion but for the standard of football they need to be playing at to compete against the big boys like chelsea and barcelona they really need another top quality defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder. Gattuso would be perfect for them and riquelme would be very good if the rumours are true. But we'll have to wait and see. Lots of pressure on Fergie this summer to deliver!

I agree, they need right in that zone some reinforcement, but they're still a competitive team in my opinion, before the 0-0 against Sunderland they were kinda bulldozer. The matter of UTD was the first part of the season actually, and the very precocious elimination in the Champions League was the top of their failure. But the team kinda came back, I was actually thinking that they wouldn't be able to take neither the 4th place in the Premiership, but it looks like Sir Alex has reassembled the team right in time, the players believed more in themselves even when the title was already gone at Chelsea. This can be a great advantage for next season, plus, they will have fresh cash to take the players they need. I see a very exciting Premiership next year, I believe Chelsea, Man UTD and Arsenal will be on the same level

babyman said:
A spanish radio, Cadena Ser, stated that ZINEDINE ZIDANE will retire after the Worldchampionship!!

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Announcement awated

from club play as well?

not really much of a surprise. he's been threatening to retire since at least euro 04, and i guess at 33 he feels old?

i think it's bullshit though. you've got a talent like that, you play till your legs fall off... like baggio.

nevertheless, the rumours about gerrard coming over to real are going to fire up again.

Yeah, from the entire activity. He actually has another year contract at Real, but perhaps he's sick of all the failures. He's 34 I think, but this counts really nothing. He's got so much that could play well for other 3-4 seasons. Gerrard stated that he will stay at Anfield, but if Zidane quits and Madrid calls him, I think it could be hard not to go there. But I tell you this, if I would be Gerrard I would never go at Real, this team has just the name, nothing else. They're just a bunch of arrogant fanatics.

Baggio:love: :love:

Italy won't see a player like him for the next 50 years maybe....................such players come out 2 times in a century

1stepcloser said:

i agree, the defense and attack are very good. the center of midfield isn't as great, Gattuso :up:

i reckon we'll fix the midfield problem in the summer, and then should challenge for the title next season.:drool:

and get past the group stage of the champions league :mad:

i also cannot wait for the world cup :drool:

1stepcloser said:

Who was your other one then?

:lol:

Actually we had quite a few, but the Baggio "race" is something very rare, I would say that the only player who resembles Roby is only Alex Del Piero..............., even when Francesco Totti is another planet for himself, too.

Boy, Baggio made us dream! :love:
He has done such goals that I wouldn't be able to reply neither with the playstation! Players like him make you love football!

ROBY BAGGIO ALWAYS:heart: :heart: :heart:

babyman said:

:lol:

Actually we had quite a few, but the Baggio "race" is something very rare, I would say that the only player who resembles Roby is only Alex Del Piero..............., even when Francesco Totti is another planet for himself, too.

a lot of my friends think that Totti is really overrated but i think he's a great player. Everytime i see him play he lights up the pitch. He's quite arrogant and i didn't like it when he spat at Euro 2004 (i think it was that tournament) :down:

He could be a big player for Italy at the world cup.

Back
Top Bottom