Sting: What's the verdict?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hate to say this, but the whoe Jaguar/aol ads really put me off int he worst possible way. Sting is a great musician with a lot of integrity who's been around long enough and has enough clout to carry his name alone, and I wondered why he resorted to using such tactics to boost his name and pimp out Brand New Day. It's not like the record was for lack of sales.

I loved the Police. They were fantastic and there was a spark generated within the band that really came through in the music. Even though the sparks flew between the band members, the Police were one of those bands that made people say, "wow, they've got it!" I know it's sometimes hard to seperate the 2 career paths taken on by one musican, and I know it's fruitless to complain that he was better with the Police but no matter how much I try, I just can't "feel" what he's doing these days. As for his older solo stuff, it was innovative and fresh and had a universal appeal even though it was considerably mellower thus catering to the more adult crowd. I think it was back then that adult contemporary was starting to catch on as a legitimate genre.

Ah well though. A musican has to do what makes him/her feel right even if it runs the risk of alienating fans who've come to expect a certain style. It's his art, and if it makes him happy and brings him musical fulfillment, then all the more luck and kudos to him.

Back
Top Bottom