Stephen King's "The Dark Tower"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Ok, I decided to post this because I know at least one other person here at Interference *cough* Roland Of Gilead *cough* loves this series as much as I do.

I, however, only started reading this series a few weeks ago. Since I picked up "The Gunslinger" I've been ravenously reading the books. My mother, an avid Stephen King fanatic, owns all the novels up to and including the fifth in the series. So, I was able to simply pick up the next one as soon as I finished the last.

Right now, I'm about 70 pages or so into book IV, "Wizard and Glass". Blaine is a pain, and that's the truth.

I'm sure I'll read right through this and into the Wolves of the Calla withing the next week. Then, I'll have to go out and buy the last two in the series though.

Anyway, let's find some more people who have read this magnificent series for some discussion. I at least know I'll have ONE person to talk with. ;) (I slapped myself in the forehead immediately when I read The Gunslinger's name on the back of the first book. D'Oh, I thought. That's what my fellow Interferencer's name means.)

But, let's please keep all disscussion for now to the first three books, at least until I get a little furthur into the story. :D

edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention to anyone who hasn't read, or even heard of this series, it's simply the greatest story I've ever read. So, do yourselves a favor and start reading it!

I've only read the Gunslinger, and loved it. Stopped Drawing of the Three half-way through, because school intervened. I may pick them back up soon. I already pretty much know the ending htough.

I've tried not to spoil the ending for myself too much. All I really know is that "some" people die. It might be all of them, it might just be a few. I'm not totally sure, and I don't want to know either.

Either way though you should probably finish reading book II at least. The Wastelands, III, was just SOOO good though, I almost read the whole thing in one night.

I've read the entire series and I found it very enjoyable. The books are long but they're real page-turners.

Wizard and Glass is the hardest for some to get through because it side-steps the main story for a bit and really is more of a prequel but it shows how Roland got to be the way he is in the rest of the stories.

Be glad you are reading it now because you don't have to wait months or years to find out what happens next like the people who read the books before you.

Calluna said:
Be glad you are reading it now because you don't have to wait months or years to find out what happens next like the people who read the books before you.

Like U2s albums then?:wink:

I stalled midway through Song of Susannah because I ran out of time (checked it out of the local library). I'm sure I'll take up the thread again in due course.

As a novel (King views the entire Dark Tower as one continuous novel), it's fairly unwieldy, but what can you do? I think I have never gotten over how well the Gunslinger set the scene and found subsequent books in the series fairly frustrating. Interesting though.

I have read the first four books.

Really enjoyed the first two and then it started to get a bit long winded.

Was a bit annoyed that the later ones were not available in the same format (size ...) as the first few I bought.

Used to be an avid Stephen King reader a long time ago.

Particular favourites, were the first two Dark Tower books, The Eyes of the Dragon, and the Bachman Books.

Went through much of his collection until eventually I got tired of his style of writing.

Never realised that the whole Dark Tower series was now available. Will have to revisit.

Thanks

Kaber

Have just started to read the last book in the Dark Tower series. Some of the books were a bit hard to get into, especially Song of Susannah. The Wolves of the Calla was a good book. Hope you enjoy the series like I have lancemc. I'm a Stephen King fanatic like your Mum and have read all his books, he's a great writer.

I just finished Song of Susannah a couple of days ago, I need to pick up the last one now. I just went to the web site and saw that the Trade Paperback will be out in November. I'll probably wait until then. The Hardbacks are so damn expensive. :(

Love the series though :up: I hope he decides to keep writing.

Wooo. I just finished Wizard and Glass the other night.

Ace.

What a chilling story by the end of Roland's back story. Charyou Tree. :ohmy:

I just started Wolves of the Calla last night. I'm about 80 pages into it, and it's already one of my favorites from the series. We'll see how it stands when I'm done though.

This whole series is such a page-turner. And epic, at that.

Can't wait to see how it all turns out! I ordered the last two books online the other day. Song of Susannah should be here just in time for me to pick up right after I'm finished Wolves. Can't wait.

I have to admit I do have them in my library but I have been backlogged in my reading. I'll get there.

:|

My only gripe is the appalling cover artwork that appears on some editions of some volumes (Wolves of the Calla cough-cough)... And the somewhat rushed writing in places. There are a LOT of inconsistencies.

Yeah, the American cover for Wolves of the Calla was TERRIBLE! It looked like a something out of a cheesy comic book. I was embarassed to let other people see me reading it because of this. What were they thinking??

I think this is one of the three greatest fantasy epics of all time. The other two would be Lord of the Rings (of course) and I think Harry Potter is reaching that point.

Sorry, Narnia fans, the books are great but too childish and the characters have no depth.

bsp77 said:
I think this is one of the three greatest fantasy epics of all time.

I'll second that.
I got into the series when I was probably about 13, borrowed the books from my brother. Wizard and Glass is my personal favorite.
I thought the seventh book was about the saddest thing I've ever read, though.
:heart: stephen king books :heart:

Back
Top Bottom