Steinbrenner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually like the sight of George throwing his money around. It shows that (1) His farm system isn't producing like it was 6-8 years ago, and(2) He's becoming impatient again. He won 4 of 5 WS to close the century, largely on the strength of home grown talent (supplimented with modest FA signings) and his hands-off approach with team operations. Looks like he lost his copy of the game plan:

1996-2000 Won 4 rings

2001 signed Mussina, lost to DBacks
2002 signed Giambi, lost to Angels
2003 signed Matsui/ Boone, lost to Marlins
2004 "trade" for ARod, sign Sheffield/ Brown/ Clark/Lofton, lose to ???

And while this trade is extremely newsworthy due to the player involved, I don't see it helping the Yanks all that much. From a pure production standpoint, they net little if anything given Soriano's departure.

Infield continuity. Around the horn: ARod-Jeter-Cairo-Giambi. The best fielder of that bunch will play out of position at third, the least important position on the infield. Hmmmm...

What will their clubhouse (and the NY media for that matter) be like the first time the Yanks lose on a Jeter error. Methinks Derek will always feel the heat, regardless of what is being said now.

Intangibles. ARod has never played for a winner. (Seattle was just getting good when he was there, then mysteriously got BETTER after he left!) When was the last time he was in a big game?? Is HE a winner or just a stat guy? It'll be fun to watch.

well the only thing i'll have to disagree with ya on is about a-rod... there was no mystery involved there. everyone could see what he was worth, and what he has the potential to become... thus the reasoning behind texas' dumbass move to sign him for 125 million more than anyone else was offering. and seattle wasn't just becomming good... they were already good when a-rod was there, making the playoffs in every season he spent with seattle. their regular season record improved after he left, but the playoff results were baisicly the same... bounced early.

other than that, you are dead on with your comments about the yankees. it's the bronx zoo all over again... only i think these guys are a bit better than danny tartabull.

Clark W. Griswold said:
I actually like the sight of George throwing his money around. It shows that (1) His farm system isn't producing like it was 6-8 years ago, and(2) He's becoming impatient again. He won 4 of 5 WS to close the century, largely on the strength of home grown talent (supplimented with modest FA signings) and his hands-off approach with team operations. Looks like he lost his copy of the game plan:

1996-2000 Won 4 rings

2001 signed Mussina, lost to DBacks
2002 signed Giambi, lost to Angels
2003 signed Matsui/ Boone, lost to Marlins
2004 "trade" for ARod, sign Sheffield/ Brown/ Clark/Lofton, lose to ???

And while this trade is extremely newsworthy due to the player involved, I don't see it helping the Yanks all that much. From a pure production standpoint, they net little if anything given Soriano's departure.

Infield continuity. Around the horn: ARod-Jeter-Cairo-Giambi. The best fielder of that bunch will play out of position at third, the least important position on the infield. Hmmmm...

What will their clubhouse (and the NY media for that matter) be like the first time the Yanks lose on a Jeter error. Methinks Derek will always feel the heat, regardless of what is being said now.

Intangibles. ARod has never played for a winner. (Seattle was just getting good when he was there, then mysteriously got BETTER after he left!) When was the last time he was in a big game?? Is HE a winner or just a stat guy? It'll be fun to watch.

I couldn't agree more.... Oh, wait.. that was me....

2004 "trade" for ARod, sign Sheffield/ Brown/ Clark/Lofton, lose to ???(BoSox)

The new word is that George will move his team to the Phillipines where they will become the Manilla Folders....

Yeah, that Pay-Rod deal sure worked out. Who will George get for next year?

Last edited:
Clark W. Griswold said:

Intangibles. ARod has never played for a winner. (Seattle was just getting good when he was there, then mysteriously got BETTER after he left!)

The Rangers mysteriously improved a lot after A-Rod left as well.

Re: Re: Steinbrenner

speedracer said:

The Rangers mysteriously improved a lot after A-Rod left as well.

Funny how that seems to be the trend here...

Bring in enough talent to at least partially offset the loss of Pay Rod, Free up enough $$ to slightly upgrade pitching staff and presto!! instant contender for most of the season.

Back
Top Bottom