Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i will say it gets better every time i see it, and it's also amazing the power this world -- and that score -- has over the imaginations of people of a certain age who grew up with the Original Trilogy as a large piece of their lives. the films, at their best, made the impossible seem possible, that maybe you could fly through space in an x-wing fighter or move that rock with your thoughts. i would guess that a huge percentage of people age 35 and up who work in movie/TV are there because of the original movies.

i am concerned at how the original cast is going to fit into these movies, and i think the tone is going to be reverential to the original trilogy, i hope not too much. i am looking forward to returning to this world.

I thought ST fans hate Abrams for ret-conning everything?

Most of the most legit criticism I've seen from the Trekker hardcores centers around the tone of the story. Yes, they bitch about some of the ret-cons (Khan went from presumably an Eastern Sikh to a pale faced Englishman, the Enterprise bridge is now an Apple store, the engineering room is literally a beer facility, Uhura is boning Spock, the Enterprise design itself changed, etc.), but most of what I've seen (the most legit) centers on the core idea of the stories and how they are supposedly straying from Roddenberry principles.

Both have been revenge plots so there is the redundancy criticism unto itself, something already seen many times in the Trek universe. But mostly it's about not enough 'adventure' or exploration of new worlds and too much 'Hollywood', assplosions, with more action than character building and such. Basically, the folks I see lambasting 'Abrams Trek' are pissed about a little of everything, mostly that it's not the same ol', same ol'. And for that, personally, I don't blame Abrams at all.

I am cool with most everything but limey Khan was really stupid and yeah, I think the stories have been a little stupid. But that is to be expected and actually - it doesn't bother me that much. Yeah, popcorn blockbusters might not be intellectually stimulating, even Trek, and that's cool with me. The alternative is that there are no more Trek films. There's a reason it was practically DOA for so long, they disappeared up their own ass.

Personally, I care a whole lot about canon and can't imagine why any fan of genre fiction wouldn't. And if Abrams violates canon (I'm not talking about NEW things added but ret-cons), he'll suffer a nerd onslaught the likes never seen. It won't happen.

i am concerned at how the original cast is going to fit into these movies, and i think the tone is going to be reverential to the original trilogy, i hope not too much. i am looking forward to returning to this world.

It's going to be really hard to get it just right. But my guess is - and I think it will be appropriate - that Abrams will err on the side of 'too reverential' rather than not reverential enough. As long as the new characters are solid and the story is good, he can err on that side of the scale and things will be just fine.

My expectations are fairly high but tempered by common sense. But I'm also 40 years old heading into this one, unlike being overly giddy and unrealistic at 24 when Phantom Menace came out.

Holy shit. The crashed Star Destroyer. Wow. Daisy Ridley and John Boyega. Gorgeous.

The guy with the hood and the mask with the sort-of chrome grill and the red lightsaber...are we thinking this is the main villain?

"We're home"...so Corellia then?

I thought the "we're home" bit meant they were back on the Millennium Falcon, I thought I read somewhere that Han no longer owned it. Could mean Corellia though.

Both trailers look beautiful.

"We're home"...so Corellia then?

I thought the "we're home" bit meant they were back on the Millennium Falcon, I thought I read somewhere that Han no longer owned it. Could mean Corellia though.

It has to be them finding/buying/stealing the Falcon again. What else could possibly be "home" to Chewie and Han (not to mention the background looks exactly like the Falcon)?

I'm actually quite pleased that JJ Abrams is doing these movies; I liked the new Star Trek movie, although I haven't seen much of the TV series admittedly.

Why would they have lost the Falcon in the first place? I mean, Lando pilots it during the final battle but shouldn't we assume he brings it down to Endor after that? Han is still the owner.

I wonder if Lando will get any kind of mention in this film. Maybe Han will say to Chewie in passing "And Lando thought he could take the Falcon back from me. Well, my blaster had something to say about that." :fiendish grin:

Are you being facetious? If Lando wanted to just steal the Falcon, he would have done so instead of rescuing Han from Jabba, or before the final space battle.

But on a serious note, one wonders if they're going to bring Williams back at some point. Maybe they didn't want to blow their whole load on the first film, and we'll see him in Episode VIII.

I just assumed he was on Tatooine, stepping off of the Falcon.

I realize that's not actually his home, but I don't know if I can expect this movie to realize that. I'm tempering expectations as far as canonical information is concerned.

But ideally, I hope it's Corellia.

I realize that's not actually his home, but I don't know if I can expect this movie to realize that. I'm tempering expectations as far as canonical information is concerned.

But ideally, I hope it's Corellia.

I think Abrahams confirmed it was some previously unseen desert planet and not Tatooine.

Are you being facetious? If Lando wanted to just steal the Falcon, he would have done so instead of rescuing Han from Jabba, or before the final space battle.

But on a serious note, one wonders if they're going to bring Williams back at some point. Maybe they didn't want to blow their whole load on the first film, and we'll see him in Episode VIII.

I agree, I think he will turn up in the 2nd of the trilogy like he did the first time around, no doubt he'll have done well for himself again :wink:

If Lando isn't in the new series, I'm going to vandalize JJ Abrams home.
That'd be a crime against humanity.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That makes no sense. Even if a revised canon gave him a new home planet, they wouldn't have him hailing from Tattooine, when Luke and Anakin are both from there as well.

Also, regarding the new desert planet (forget the name Abrams said during the panel): what's the point of creating a new planet if it's going to look the same as Tattooine? They couldn't think of anything else?

Oh, I realize it doesn't make sense, but in the minds of people who haven't experienced the franchise outside of the films, I would assume they think he's also from Tattooine. That's where we first met him, after all.

Either way, I'm trying not to read too many details into what this film is about, so I may duck out of this thread from here on out. Yesterday in line at Record Store Day I had some guy in line in front of me practically laying out the entire plot and I was getting pretty furious. Who knows how much he does or doesn't know but he was claiming that he worked at a post house and knew this and that and in this city, I just don't know who to believe.

Oh, I realize it doesn't make sense, but in the minds of people who haven't experienced the franchise outside of the films, I would assume they think he's also from Tattooine. That's where we first met him, after all.

No, why would anyone assume that? Here's what we know as we watch the film:

1. Luke and Ben are headed to Mos Eisley SPACEPORT

2. Ben tells Luke they can find the best freighter pilots there

3. Ben tells Luke that Chewbacca is the first mate on a ship

4. Han mentions making the Kessel Run

5. Han mentions outrunning Imperial starships

6. The ship is in the docking bay

7. Greedo refers to Han as a smuggler

8. Greedo refers to Han dropping a shipment prematurely

9. Han mentions being boarded by Imperial troops

The point I'm trying to make here are that Han, Chewie, and the ship have clearly been around the galaxy considering their line of work. There's no reason to assume they're "home" as opposed to being on Tattooine as a business stopover.

No, you're right, all of that's very true. I'm just curious what the average person on the street would say if you asked them what planet Han is from, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom