Stadium Arcadium has leaked.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a rambling open letter, the band's bass player, Michael "Flea" Balzary, said he and his colleagues would be heartbroken if fans downloaded the album beforehand.

"For people to just steal a poor sound quality version of it for free because some a--hole stole it and put it on the internet is sad to me," he said.

:sad:

Don't fret, Flea! I'm buying this baby the moment it comes out, as I'm sure most RHCP fans who've downloaded the album will.

GibsonGirl said:
Don't fret, Flea! I'm buying this baby the moment it comes out, as I'm sure most RHCP fans who've downloaded the album will.

:up:

I treat downloading as previewing an album myself. If I really, really like it, I'm going to buy it, plain and simple. Last week I bought the new Springsteen, this week I bought Pearl Jam, and I'll be buying this as well.

If I download something and it totally sucks, I'm not going to buy it, but I'm going to delete the mp3s anyway. I don't hold on to it just because it was free and I might as well keep it. If it's good quality music, I always will support it.

phanan said:
If I download something and it totally sucks, I'm not going to buy it, but I'm going to delete the mp3s anyway. I don't hold on to it just because it was free and I might as well keep it. If it's good quality music, I always will support it.

Good philosophy. I don't see any wrong in doing this. I've downloaded some shit albums and I've downloaded some really brilliant ones. The brilliant ones have found a home in my actual album collection, and the shit ones have found a home in the Recycling Bin. It's that simple.

You better believe I'll be buying Stadium Arcadium. :up: When you're instantly smitten with a record, you want it in good sound quality. I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say Flea has nothing to worry about. This album is going to sell and sell well. That's what happens when you put a great product out there.

inmyplace13 said:
You better believe I'll be buying Stadium Arcadium. :up: When you're instantly smitten with a record, you want it in good sound quality. I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say Flea has nothing to worry about. This album is going to sell and sell well. That's what happens when you put a great product out there.

I can't wait to buy this.

I shall definitely be buying it, as I would like to be able to listen to listen to it on a good quality CD on a decent stereo. There are so many bits to music that can get lost when it's poor quality. Alot of the Chili's vocal harmonies and bits of the guitar parts sound completely different when played on my stereo :drool: than they do on my computer.

Plus I like owning the booklet and being able to see the lyrics and other stuff :hyper:

http://www.redhotchilipeppers.com/news/journal.php?uid=213

05.02.06 Fleamail May 2, 2006
Date: Tues, May 2
Subject:
To: members@redhotchilipeppers.com

when i woke up this morning
i was was confronted with the news that our record has been leaked to
the internet
it does not come out til may 9 but now it has leaked
and not that i know alot about this kind of thing
but i guess now it is possible to down load it for free if you want
well
that's not very nice
if you down load it now off one of these file sharing sites
you will be getting a pale imitation of the record
it will be of the poor sound quality of the technique they used to
get it on there
and that will break my heart
it will break john frusciante's heart
it will break anthony kiedis's heart
and it will break the heart of chad smith
yes, we worked for a year and a half to make the epic record of our
lives
and it is sad to me for the business reasons of course
i think we are selling something really cool and we put all we had
into it, 28 songs, 2 hours of the best that we can offer
and i think it is a fair deal for everyone
and for people to just steal a poor sound quality version of it for free
because some asshole stole it and put it on the internet
is sad to me
but, equitable business reasons aside
the thing that really bums me out is
we worked so hard, and so thoughtfully, all of us, for so long
to make this record sound as warm and full from top to bottom
as was possible
we spent day and night for a year making sure every little sound was
just right
that they were all put together in the most beautiful way we could
we did not leave a stone unturned in doing that work
i can not put in words how much this record, stadium arcadium, means
to us
how sacred the sound of it is to us
and how many sleepless nights and hardworking days we all had
thinking about how to make it be the best sounding thing we could
and now, for someone to take it and put it out there with this poor
sound quality
it is a painful pill for us to swallow
let me tell you
this bums all of us out
and i know that, as sensitive as john frusciante is about sound
the idea of anyone getting and hearing this thing that way
will devastate him
for people to not hear the work the way we meant it to be
will really hurt him deep inside
and all of us will hurt

yes, it is stealing from us, and that is lame
everyone has to live with their own conscience on that one
let it be your guide
but to take a version that has been defiled sound wise
a version in which some idiot has taken our year and a half of soul
baring work and pissed all over it
that will break our hearts

sincerely,

flea

Yeah, I read this on their site. Some of the fans over on the site have really got their knickers in a twist over it, saying that those who are downloading it are not true fans. :(

However, for me downloading it has actually got me back into listening to other stuff like BSSM and Californication and realising how good they are as albums.

Sounds like Flea is more upset about the poor sound quality than the money. :sad:

I think that's a tad overdramatic. Granted, there will be a small percentage of people who aren't really into them who will download it and not buy the CD, but I really do believe their genuine fans only downloaded to get a "first listen" and will definitely be purchasing the album when it comes out, especially for the improved sound quality as a CD will always sound better than an mp3.

phanan said:
I think that's a tad overdramatic. Granted, there will be a small percentage of people who aren't really into them who will download it and not buy the CD, but I really do believe their genuine fans only downloaded to get a "first listen" and will definitely be purchasing the album when it comes out, especially for the improved sound quality as a CD will always sound better than an mp3.

Yeah, I think Flea's overreacting a little as well. Surely he knows that true fans would always support the band by buying the album if they enjoyed what they downloaded? The fans who just downloaded it and couldn't care less about buying it when it comes out aren't true fans - and they probably wouldn't have bought the album anyway, if that's the case, so it's not like they're missing out on anything.

I know Flea's bummed, but he doesn't need to blast all of us like this. Of course we'll be buying it! Who wants to hear an album in MP4 format? Though it's still high quality, nothing compares to CD quality. If anything, the thought of hearing Stadium Arcadium in the best quality available makes me want to buy it even more! Plus, you've got liner notes. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a sucker for album booklets and actually can't stand buying music online because I miss out on the lyrics and everything.

GibsonGirl said:

If anything, the thought of hearing Stadium Arcadium in the best quality available makes me want to buy it even more! Plus, you've got liner notes. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a sucker for album booklets and actually can't stand buying music online because I miss out on the lyrics and everything.

I couldn't have said it better myself - I feel exactly the same way. I will be buying this CD.

CHEERS

phanan said:

Yep, Pearl Jam is on its way to sell around 300,000 (better than the last 2 albums) and Tool will sell over 600,000. Both leaked.

I don't really like the Mars part of it at all... yet! :|

Jupiter is pretty strong though! :up:

Oh.. and yeah I may end up buying it too cos I have always been a sucker for liner notes! :drool:

Zootlesque said:
I don't really like the Mars part of it at all... yet! :|

Jupiter is pretty strong though! :up:

Oh.. and yeah I may end up buying it too cos I have always been a sucker for liner notes! :drool:

I think I like Mars better so far :reject:

I'm not impressed with this album, but just because Flea is upset I'll buy it (but I have better albums to buy...) :happy: --then--> :(

Hard to Concentrate is so damn good. I'm going to road-test the entire thing on my walk this weekend, but the mid-tempo stuff also has me intrigued :up:

edit: Liner notes :up:

Last edited:
I'll try to upload the zips...I don't know long it takes though. If it's a really long time, I don't know if I'll let it finish. We'll see.

wasnt flea also one of the artists that announced their hatred for napster in the early days of file sharing?

Flea & Keidis (and Hillel Slovak, R.I.P.) went to my high school (as did Jack Irons (all the same class). They were about 3 years ahead of me.... Ah...the good ol' days...:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom