St Mary’s Butts, Reading, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
also, for the like two people who post here who aren't friends with me on fb, i got my master's diploma in the mail today. i'm so glad it's finally done and it's really real now, but goddamn the font they used for the university's name is the exact same font used for us currency. like i'm not shitting you. it's a stark reminder of how many dollar bills this piece of paper is gonna cost me. :lol:

I think I'm only friends with one person on this forum and I found out they were on Interference after we had met. It's funny because he posts in the gear section a lot (where I used to post a lot) and we'd actually private messaged one time.

I don't think i've ever met an Interferencer IRL.

also i do post a lot in gear section but it's because I'm bored and i trust people here more than other gear-related forums or Facebook groups because these people can be pretty annoying; i mean, these people would call you "noob" if you turn up the gain knob on your Klon Centaur (or any copies of that) because according to these people, Klon is "supposed to be" a clean boost. it's nonsense. at least people here dont say that

Yeah, can't believe I haven't met Ian yet. The amount of people from here that I've met, stayed with, one lived with for over five years...it's quite something. djerdap and I are doing the London gigs together.

also i do post a lot in gear section but it's because I'm bored and i trust people here more than other gear-related forums or Facebook groups because these people can be pretty annoying; i mean, these people would call you "noob" if you turn up the gain knob on your Klon Centaur (or any copies of that) because according to these people, Klon is "supposed to be" a clean boost. it's nonsense. at least people here dont say that

Yeah, everyone in the gear section is usually super chill and very helpful, I wish it was more active as I have some tabs I'm looking for, but I doubt anyone has them.

since there have been no posts in nearly a month :tsk:

i came across this article: The Funniest Town Name in All 50 States

it's total clickbait, but it's good fodder for future superthread titles, should anyone ever be stumped for an idea. a lot of them we've already done (rough and ready, smackover, etc.) but not all of them (no name, screamer, two egg).

How the hell have we not been to Slickpoo, Idaho yet. I love that its name comes from some poor bastard's surname too.

I still find the fact that Illinois has a town named Paris kinda funny.

So does Tennessee, and Kentucky has a London.

Southern Illinois is referred to as "Little Egypt", with such place names as Cairo and Thebes, as well as Lebanon, Karnak, Palestine, Sparta, and New Athens.

Cairo, IL has a dark and twisty history and is nearly a ghost town now. It sits at the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, and was very important to water transport of goods.... until the rail lines and highways decided to give it a wide berth, tanking its industry and economy. Oh, and then there were all the lynchings.

So does Tennessee, and Kentucky has a London.

Southern Illinois is referred to as "Little Egypt", with such place names as Cairo and Thebes, as well as Lebanon, Karnak, Palestine, Sparta, and New Athens.

Cairo, IL has a dark and twisty history and is nearly a ghost town now. It sits at the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, and was very important to water transport of goods.... until the rail lines and highways decided to give it a wide berth, tanking its industry and economy. Oh, and then there were all the lynchings.

...well there's a new destination to add to my list.

...well there's a new destination to add to my list.

Cairo is about an hour drive from my house. There are some cool abandoned buildings and stuff to explore, but I've never felt safe trying it myself. The remaining population are impoverished and mostly unemployed, and crime rates are high for such a small place. A few years ago there was a problem with packs of abandoned stray dogs roaming about, but those have been thinned out.

Yeah, as fascinated as I am by derelict and abandoned places, I'm not sure I feel safe looking around. I stick out like a sore fucking thumb. I would've liked to have a look around East St Louis earlier this year, the history of its decline is absolutely fascinating, but oh boy I look like a tourist who's just come to gawk at people's suffering.

Woah, Bonnie!

This place just became much better. How's Radelaide?

Thank you! Hi Ax! Radelaide's exactly the same as when you last saw it, although now there are more nervous Crows fans wondering how they can choke from here. How has everyone been?

I'm sure Vlad has lengthy theories on how the Crows will choke. :wink:

I've just hit the two-month mark in Wollongong, though I actually spent about half of that in Europe. I'm heading down to Melbourne in just over a week for a couple of much-needed days. I like the university here and my new apartment, but the city isn't exciting me. It's crazy how few people you see on the streets even at times when you'd expect people to be out and about, and I live in the one part that actually feels like a city rather than a sprawling suburb. I never thought I'd be grateful to live close to Sydney.

When I tell locals what street I live on they're like "ooh, isn't that a bit busy?" The bloody street I lived on in Brunswick was busier than this!

It's pronounced correctly as far as I know, but they pronounce their Cairo as "Care-oh".

When I lived in Missouri, I always heard it pronounced KAY-ro, but I checked wikipedia, and both Care-oh and and Kay-ro are acceptable pronunciations, just not, ya know, the way its pronounced in Egypt.

There's also New Madrid in Missouri which is MAD-rid.
and then in my neck of the woods, Hurricane, Utah, which is Her-i-cun.

I visited Mousehole in Cornwall. Don't ask for directions to "Mouse-hole" though, nobody knows where that is. They can tell you how to get to "Maow-zul" though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom