St Mary’s Butts, Reading, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it, right there. It's so simple, really. Being in a serious relationship really bring out each other's insecurities and dysfunctions and the partner is still with you, it's a beautiful thing.

My partner and I probably hit each other at our lowest lows. She sobbed beyond anything in my arms on what could be called our second date after being friends for a bit of time. No shame, and I never said a word and just held her. I knew the issues and just held on. I don't know why but I've managed to not cry in her arms.

She keeps asking why I put up with her. Why I sent a single red rose to her at her work. Because this is someone who is patient and accepting. The best person. Someone who knows that we'll do anything for each other.

The look in her eyes when she had a breakdown with me, and she finally looked at me, that was a level of trust and love I've never, ever seen.

It's the easiest and hardest relationship I've ever had and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

In a way my ex was very similar: he and I could have one little argument and he'd fly to Facebook and change his relationship status to "single", effectively breaking up with me publicly on Facebook for a day or so every time we disagreed about anything. Other times he'd get annoyed with me for not posting enough pictures of him or talking about him enough online.

Drama queens.

damn that sounds hard

Well, Jake's ex's coping mechanism for the "lack" of attention was to cheat on him a lot. She ended up with a second boyfriend, who gave her the time and attention she needed, while Jake worked his ass off to support her financially.

On the flip side, my ex got a clothed lap dance from his married coworker while at work, then quit his job out of embarrassment when everyone (including her husband!) found out. Being jobless led to him moving back to his home country (was supposed to be temporary) and we tried to do the long distance thing, but then he got super butt hurt at me because I went out with my friends one day instead of staying home to Skype with him. So he broke up with me over the phone, while I was at my friend's house.

I've had one break up that I commenced that I'm ashamed of and will never be happy about how I did it until I go to my grave, and probably even then St Peter will smack me in the face.

One where I let the woman end it because I was happy for it to end and I knew how to do it, and I thought I'd let her be the heartbreaker (years later regular friends on Facebook and chat daily, with my partner not even blinking!)

The rest have all been mutual. I mean, I decided it was mutual about a month afterwards when I had to accept it.

I got a single red rose and a card sent to where my partner works. Would I have liked to have had it posted and tagged with me? Yeah the little showoff attention whore in me would have said yes.

Does the reasonable human being in me know that it made my partner happy and I wouldn't care if only she knew? Much better.

"One last thung I have a cuzzie who's had an accident and is un hospital right now. Stay hard bro chur all good"

Grammatically and phonetically correct. Benji Marshall after playing against the Warriors.

Got me out of the chair and onto the floor. Mainly because that's bloody me when I travel out of New Zealand.

It's 4:40 AM and my alarm has just gone off because I have to hit the road at 6 to be in another city at 9 for a meeting for the nerd convention that I work for :crack:

I probably got less than 4 hours of sleep. But that's nothing compared to the poor boyfriend who is also attending the meeting, after having worked an overnight shift sterilizing operating rooms at the hospital, and having been up most of yesterday afternoon as well.

The man has worked overnights for a decade, and tends to simply not sleep on the weekends so that he can do things. He's shortening his life span. Gonna greet him when he comes in with some breakfast cooked up.

Mate, I can't even function on less than 7.5 to 8.5 hours of sleep a night.

Even that can feel a bit short.

It doesn't work very well with major height differences.

My ex was comically shorter than me. She was as tall as her 15 year old cousin. At least a head and a bit shorter. Still worked a charm, as good as the other ex (this body count is getting alarming) who was only about an inch shorter than me.

Still feel awkward when I'm on top

Well this conversation took a turn. :lol:

I'm just stressing about organising a party. Who the fuck expects an invite, that sort of thing. I don't even want a big event but it's sprawling out of control a bit.

Though note that when I say a big event, I mean more than about six or seven people. Even when factoring in availability and no-shows this one may go around 15 and that's shit-tonnes by my standards. I'm much more comfortable with smaller gatherings.

i now officially hate people who call out of work on a holiday if they didn't get the day off. i'm gonna have to work five hours with no breaks. can't even go to the bathroom unless i get someone to cover me, which will be hard because, without violating the confidentiality of what i do, during those five hours i do stuff can only be done by me, thanks to people calling out. not because i'm just so tremendous at my job :trump: but it'd be like if there were only one car mechanic at a shop, or only one person in a department who knew python, while everyone else knew java.

like yeah sure i don't need to take a break or even pee.

I once worked an eight hour shift with no lunch and no bathroom break because the store insisted they only needed a single cashier and a single manager to work per shift, and the manager was "too busy" to give me a break, the whole day. She kept saying she'd give me a break "in a little bit, as soon as she could", but the end of my shift came before then.

One of the reasons I'm so glad I don't work at the bank anymore is what happened when I got promoted and moved to being a Senior Consultant in the Bank Mail team.

I was told if I took the role, 9-5 Saturday-Wednesday. Fine with me, I have no social life and I'm perfectly happy with those days.

Then the team leader rostering suddenly changed. There'd be one from 6am (when we opened) until 2pm, then one rostered from 4pm to midnight, when we closed.

Well fuck me look who had to do his own job and run the biggest call centre in New Zealand for two hours? The appreciation I got was copping shit from my manager's manager for sometimes not being as productive on weekends (even though I was ahead of my target anyway). Given my breaks (mandated by the employment agreement between the union and the bank) consisted of me closing the bank mail system I was logged in to, haring off for a cup of tea, going back to my desk and continuing to babysit the contact centre....

This is despite it being openly acknowledged that this was done because they knew I'd do it.

We don't even begin to discuss my five hours of unpaid overtime I did once because the morning manager was stuck in Wellington and I got asked to cover, even though I also had to cover our social media until 5pm - meaning I did a 6am-5pm shift and got paid for 9-5. And I got called on my personal phone at 7am to be yelled at by this guy and he didn't even relax when I said I was in until my normal finishing time so there was little doubt I'd most certainly nail my usual productivity plus a bit more sorted.

Oh and when I stepped into a team leader role for a while and people would walk by the full time team leaders to ask me something or take a complaint knowing I wouldn't sell them out.

I did at least get to land one win in all of that shit. When I became a member of the bank mail team, my manager asked me to take the closest desk to her so she could ask me for advice or help. I was the only person promoted into their role from outside the team so that was fun. Sometimes (as always happened to me) some staff members who were primarily meant to be on the phones would be changed to answering emails.

My ex got promoted into a team leader role after having been in a branch for a while and ended up 10 feet from me.

We actually worked well together professionally when we needed to, but one time someone walked past her to me (fucked if I know where my manager was but I almost certainly would have been the one answering the question anyway, or it may have been her day off) and as this person, who'd been recently trained to do bank mail, by me, and had a bank mail question, was talking to me, she said "You could ask me, I am a team leader".

Bearing in mind their question involved me fucking with a system I'd spent three years self-teaching myself, and I was the only fucker in the building who could help....

My response was swift and deadly. "Yeah Rebecca, would you be able to answer a Kana specific question or send her to me anyway?"

There were no further complaints about people coming to me.

Last edited:
i now officially hate people who call out of work on a holiday if they didn't get the day off. i'm gonna have to work five hours with no breaks.

Ooh yeah I'm sure they're really sick. To quote Basil Fawlty, I hope it's nothing trivial.

I once worked an eight hour shift with no lunch and no bathroom break because the store insisted they only needed a single cashier and a single manager to work per shift, and the manager was "too busy" to give me a break, the whole day. She kept saying she'd give me a break "in a little bit, as soon as she could", but the end of my shift came before then.
ugh, that shit sucks. things started to get like that at a call centre i worked at when they got horribly understaffed, all of our breaks (even our 15 minute ones) were scheduled down to the minute but some people still took them whenever they wanted. so me being, not even a good worker but just following the fucking rules, my scheduled break would come up and the person scheduled before me wasn't back yet. in retrospect i wish i'd just fucking went anyway because the department later closed so it's not like my hard work of skipping breaks and stuff ever got noticed or appreciated, just because the supervisor on duty had no spine to write people up for it.

and that's bullshit too because she could've at least covered you while you took the breaks you were legally entitled to, but of course "too busy" is manager-speak for "can't be fucked." if they don't address the problem, it doesn't exist.

Ooh yeah I'm sure they're really sick. To quote Basil Fawlty, I hope it's nothing trivial.
ha, seriously. i was lucky in that i was able to find little moments to pop up and get another cup of tea and stuff, but i'm really not supposed to be away from my desk at all. they don't care why you call out, which is good at least so if you're sick you don't have to put on a big show and fake a cough or something. but it also sucks because we were really shorthanded and as long as they provided enough notice, they didn't technically do anything wrong.

ha, seriously. i was lucky in that i was able to find little moments to pop up and get another cup of tea and stuff, but i'm really not supposed to be away from my desk at all. they don't care why you call out, which is good at least so if you're sick you don't have to put on a big show and fake a cough or something. but it also sucks because we were really shorthanded and as long as they provided enough notice, they didn't technically do anything wrong.

If I got that, I'd go to the first person above me, with a rubbish tin, and start to unzip the pants.

"You have two choices right now"

Oh god my partner scared me halfway to death. We know I'm not spiritual as such, but I do treat, in particular, Maori customs with respect.

I got a pounamu koru necklace today. Eden told me it was tapu to buy your own taonga/ponamu. My blood ran cold.

I used some cash my dad gave to me ages ago. Thank fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom