Spyware and Adware programs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
Hello all you computer afficiandos, can anyone tell me what the best spyware and adware programs are out there that is free?

And is WinAntiSpyware 2005 a bad program? Supposedly it's telling me I have over 80 spyware programs on my computer but when I run my Ad-Aware and SpyBlaster it comes up with nothing!

Please help! :help:

Microsoft Antispyware
Ad aware
Spybot Search & Destroy

check Microsoft for its product. Download.com should have the other two.

I would also recomend AVAST! Great, free program. Since I've had it, I've had no problems whatsoever. And when something odd turns up, you are notified properly. :evil:

:)

I do a HUGE amount of spyware removal and control for my job as a computer technician and our college uses Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Webroot Spysweeper.

Make sure you keep running scans until you get one that comes up with nothing. Doing it in Safe Mode is good too. Also, make sure you're running Windows Update once a week and remember to always update your anti-virus and anti-spyware software once a week! These programs are no good if you never download the latest definition files.

Can anyone tell me why out of the blue WinFixer keeps popping up on my computer? It's interrupting stuff that me and my boyfriend do on our computer! What's the deal with this program???

U2Girl1978 said:
Can anyone tell me why out of the blue WinFixer keeps popping up on my computer? It's interrupting stuff that me and my boyfriend do on our computer! What's the deal with this program???

I don't know, but something similar is happening to my dad's computer. I don't remember what it's called, but it's some sort of fake spyware thing (spyblaster or spyware??) and it keeps popping up even when he's offline. It tells him his computer is infected too, but even after I ran spybot, the anti-virus program and ad aware, I still get the same message.

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

I don't know, but something similar is happening to my dad's computer. I don't remember what it's called, but it's some sort of fake spyware thing (spyblaster or spyware??) and it keeps popping up even when he's offline. It tells him his computer is infected too, but even after I ran spybot, the anti-virus program and ad aware, I still get the same message.

I'm hoping it's not that virus that is going around.

nbcrusader said:

It is a free download from Microsoft

Find it here

Ahhhh ok...That's what is confusing me because I have something popping up on my computer and I thought it was microsoft. It has three options. WinAntiSpyware, WinFixer and WinAntiVirus. What are these and why are they popping up on my screen?

U2Girl1978 said:

I would delete the program and download either adaware or spybot. By the way, I hate it when my husband and I get interrupted doing "things" on our computer.:shh:

u2granny said:

I would delete the program and download either adaware or spybot. By the way, I hate it when my husband and I get interrupted doing "things" on our computer.:shh:

We tried that last night and thought we had succeeded for a while, but then the thing reappeared a few moments later :reject:.

It must have a virus. I told my dad he'd probably have to take it to the shop because I had no clue how he got it on there.

kellyahern said:

We tried that last night and thought we had succeeded for a while, but then the thing reappeared a few moments later :reject:.

It must have a virus. I told my dad he'd probably have to take it to the shop because I had no clue how he got it on there.

:( So sorry your computer is on the fritz...I had a virus a few weeks ago and I got a clean up disk at Walmart for $20. It is called Mcaffe spyware. I loaded it and it cleaned all 3000 infected files...I had alot of adware and trojan bugs that where detected.

Good luck

Carmelu2fan said:

:( So sorry your computer is on the fritz...I had a virus a few weeks ago and I got a clean up disk at Walmart for $20. It is called Mcaffe spyware. I loaded it and it cleaned all 3000 infected files...I had alot of adware and trojan bugs that where detected.

Good luck

Oh, it's not mine (thank goodness :reject: ).

It was my dad's computer, and I was trying to help. I'll pass this info along to him though :).

I found out why that stupid WinFixer kept popping up. Usually I have my popup blocker on but it was turned off.

I'm so very happy that I downloaded Spy Sweeper though. It's found alot of bad things. :happy:

I use the usual suspects: Ad-aware and Spybot, and Windows Anti-spyware for the realtime protection.The best way to protect your computer is by using common sense though. Make sure stuff you download is spyware and malware free by reading the license. Don't open unknown attachments in your e-mail. That sort of thing.

U2Girl1978 said:
I found out why that stupid WinFixer kept popping up. Usually I have my popup blocker on but it was turned off.

I'm so very happy that I downloaded Spy Sweeper though. It's found alot of bad things. :happy:

You don't want WinFixer on your computer though. Spy sweeper may already have gotten rid of it, but in case it didn't; read this.

That's a great site for looking up stuff you don't trust btw. :up:

DrTeeth said:

You don't want WinFixer on your computer though. Spy sweeper may already have gotten rid of it, but in case it didn't; read this.

That's a great site for looking up stuff you don't trust btw. :up:

The WinFixer just popped up out of nowhere though and I d/l it but it said I needed to pay for it. I definitely didn't pay for it and I unistalled it and ran my Spysweeper.

Thanks for the site! :up:

If you're getting a lot of winfix popups on your computer, you may be infected with 'virtumonde' malware - that's what happened to me, and I had to download a patch because my antivirus and spyware programs couldn't remove it.

Back
Top Bottom